Improbably Great Places in the West Midlands

Marka Ragnos

13 hours ago, Genie said:

Tamworth Castle and the big new play area in the castle grounds are a nice way to spend an afternoon if you have little ones. Next to the castle grounds you have bowling with an arcade and nice restaurant. 

Tamworth Castle is really impressive. I was right by it yesterday on a daytime pub crawl.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Xann said:

Abberley, Worcestershire.

The buildings are real and are near each other.

What a fantastic looking place. I'd never heard of it before. 

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

I was thinking more of the councilors than the people in all honesty. 

Then again I'd been working with our Graduate for a good 6 months before I found out he was actually from Salford, not Manchester. 

Salford's slightly different to (say) Oldham, or Bolton, or Stockport etc. I mean it isn't Manchester, nor is Trafford, but a lot of people basically kind of accept it as Manchester. The three I mentioned, they get furious if you call them Mancs.

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Salford's slightly different to (say) Oldham, or Bolton, or Stockport etc. I mean it isn't Manchester, nor is Trafford, but a lot of people basically kind of accept it as Manchester. The three I mentioned, they get furious if you call them Mancs.

Salford is also full of mystery, aunts uncles, distant brothers, distant cousins of Manchester United fans who were born and live in Birmingham and the Midlands

If we’re talking the further West Midlands and not the county, Shrewsbury is definitely worth a visit (for those who haven’t).

It’s not so much seeing a particular grand example of architecture, there isn’t really a stand out building to see (I don’t think).

It’s more the quaint, olde world feel the place has across the town centre. The timber framed buildings, lots of curious little side streets and alleys (“shuts”) to explore, intriguing names all over - Mardol, Bear Steps, Traitor’s Gate, Wyle Cop, Dog Pole, Grope Lane (that last one is not its full original name, the original wouldn’t get past the VT swear filter, but I believe it’s the only one in the country that retains the word “Grope” rather than time changing it to “Grape” or otherwise).

A good choice of pubs and restaurants too. The museum and the Quarry Park are alright too.

Bridgnorth and Ludlow have a similar vibe.

• Like 4

In Shropshire you have Lilleshall Hill. A lovely little place with views across Shropshire and Staffordshire. 
Shrewsbury is an excellent place to visit. The mere mention of Wyle Cop and I can only think of 40 Wyle Cop, the Private Shop. It was a rite of passage going in there. 
Hawkstone Park and it’s Follies is a great way to spend a day, Similarly Much Wenlock and the walks around the town. 
Staffordshire has Mow Cop Castle, The Roches and Victoria Park in Stafford. Not somewhere to spend a day but if passing worth parking up. 
I really like walking along the river into Stourport from the west to east. 

Edited by Seat68

To embellish a bit on other people's shouts so far. If you are touristing it over here from across the water somewhere then Ludlow (proper posh n that) is a great shout. I love Ludlow castle and nice is its byword really. nice day out in the country. Hereford Cathedral is a beautiful building, (hidden gem in normalish dingy city/town) is quite something and of course houses the mappa mundi - one for the possibly interesting maps thread maybe.

Herefordshire has the cider trail of course which is stronger than the american cider ;) People keep telling me Dunkertons in Pembridge have a really nice restaurant these days but I haven't been myself. Called the Cider Barn IIRC.

Sutton Park is a real blast from the past for me. Used to love being taken up there as a kid. Rope swings and wooden stuff for climbing up back in the 80's. Lichfield was all about buying sugar mice from some old tudor building that sold cakes and such.

Kinver is fantastic. 

Obviously the cave houses are very interesting. 

The view from Kinver Edge is spectacular. Is it 3 or 4 counties you can look over? 

And there are a few decent boozers about as well. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, mjmooney said:

If there's a 'Greater Manchester', why not 'Greater Birmingham'? 

Can you just imagine the shite coming out of the knuckle draggers if that was a thing

”it’s not Greater Aston is it” etc.

• Like 1

In response to the OP:

Kinver (as mentioned above), Bewdley (who can resist Teddy Grays sweet shop). 

I’m biased as lived near most of my life, but Clent Hills are one of the best places. Incredible views, miles to walk and some nice pubs. 

Edited by mikeyp102

1 minute ago, mikeyp102 said:

Kinver (as mentioned above), Bradley (who can resist Teddy Grays sweet shop). 

Bewdley? Teddy Gray's is one of those cash-only places that normal people stay away from.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, limpid said:

Bewdley? Teddy Gray's is one of those cash-only places that normal people stay away from.

Was meant to say bewdley (damn autocorrect). 
I’ve not been for years, probably when everyone was using cash

• Like 1

7 hours ago, blandy said:

**** right, too! Stockport's the only town (rather than city) with two Porsche dealerships!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Takes too long.*

*This joke is based on a very old-fashioned colloquialism. I wasn't sure if the OP was also referencing the same thing.

Yes. Obviously I thought 😁

• Haha 1

Â