Improbably Great Places in the West Midlands

Marka Ragnos

5 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Personally think Stratford is a little overrated. And you would have to pay me to go in August.

Amazed by how bad the train links remain to there. Used to be just one train an hour from Brum which would take forever going through Whitlocks End/Wythall etc. It's 20 minutes quicker via Solihull at least but still not great so haven't visited since before the pandemic.

I believe Ombersley is meant to be a little bit of a gem. When I was growing up I remember a story that there was a spice shop there that the Royals sourced all of their spices from for the palace kitchens.

No idea if thats true or I just hallucinated it!

kings-arms.jpg

The Kings Arms pub

10 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Would you say Bewdley is prettier than Hay-on-Wye?

Better second-hand record shops in Hay-on-Wye and books, tons of books

But Bewdley has steam trains and white tigers

It's a toss up

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, bickster said:

Better second-hand record shops in Hay-on-Wye and books, tons of books

Boring thread-style factoid: I've been to Hay-on-Wye twice, and - despite my well-known bibliophilia - never managed to buy a book. We're going again this Summer, so perhaps third time lucky. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Boring thread-style factoid: I've been to Hay-on-Wye twice, and - despite my well-known bibliophilia - never managed to buy a book. We're going again this Summer, so perhaps third time lucky. 

I went once, during the festival, we didnt visit the festival and my wife, who loves books, didnt buy a single book. Seemingly we went in every bookshop in Hay.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I went once, during the festival, we didnt visit the festival and my wife, who loves books, didnt buy a single book. Seemingly we went in every bookshop in Hay.

Yep, so did I. There's something about having too much choice, and too long to browse. I'm much more likely to buy a book in the only bookshop in town, going in and making a fast impulse buy. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I believe Ombersley is meant to be a little bit of a gem. When I was growing up I remember a story that there was a spice shop there that the Royals sourced all of their spices from for the palace kitchens.

No idea if thats true or I just hallucinated it!

kings-arms.jpg

The Kings Arms pub

Just to the left, the Venture In (sic) is a really good restaurant.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, limpid said:

Just to the left, the Venture In (sic) is a really good restaurant.

Yeah The Venture in is really good. I worked as a chef for a couple of years at The Crown and Sandys, which is just up the road too.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I did buy books there once when the old cinema was a remaindered stock warehouse but that was years ago. Last time I went I bought a Snapped Ankles album and had a conversation with the bloker in that shop, decided he was a complete unknowledgeable div within 30 seconds, then went to the big 2nd hand shop briefly and bought the Red Guitars album for buttons. Definitely go back to the big 2nd hand shop and spend hours in there

Books, meh. Nice cafe for Welsh cakes and a pot of tea I seem to recall. Proper Welsh Italian Cafe (The Bracchi - a cultural phenomenon of Wales)

Bewdley is a place i've always liked but that might be childhood nostalgia. My Nan and Grandad had a static caravan at Hillcroft Caravan Park for a number of years.

I remember a lot of the pubs we used to have our evening meals/drinks in.

The Hop Pole,The Running Horse and a little further out, The Live and Let Live in Neen Sollars, which felt like it was in the middle of nowhere. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I didn't realise they are a thing, but after your post, I just looked up, and 😋😋.      

Most definitely a thing, most definitely a thing to eat with a cup of tea and your mother always makes the best ones

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

Most definitely a thing, most definitely a thing to eat with a cup of tea and your mother always makes the best ones

After searching for recipes I think I get why... Without having made them myself (I absolutely will!) I don't really think lard, butter, margarine or a combo of them will make that much difference - but the first five-star rated recipes I found used totally different spices: cinnamon, mixed spice, mace, nutmeg (well, those two might be interchangeable to a degree)  or absolutely no spices whatsoever included.

Â