Improbably Great Places in the West Midlands

Marka Ragnos

Funnily enough my folks were recently talking about someone they knew who used the phrase who lived up north somewhere, Manchester maybe. They knew the phrase and what it meant, but no idea what the Wrekin was. 

I think it has an alliterative quality which may help it.

Always find it mildly amusing/curious how relatively well known the Wrekin is considering it’s not exactly the biggest hill going (not even the tallest in the county by a fair way).

9 hours ago, blandy said:

Salford's slightly different to (say) Oldham, or Bolton, or Stockport etc. I mean it isn't Manchester, nor is Trafford, but a lot of people basically kind of accept it as Manchester. The three I mentioned, they get furious if you call them Mancs.

Salford's basically the other side of the Irwell in the city centre isn't it? Lots of hotels there market themselves as the "Travel Tavern Manchester" or whatever, despite it being Salford. I can't think of any other cities where you've got another city a hundred yards from the main shopping area.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bickster said:

Nah, those region things are for number crunchers and bean counters to the man on the street they are meaningless. I wouldn’t recommend telling a man from Stoke he lived in the West Midlands, he might spontaneously combust in rage

I really did just meant the region not the county, but it's interesting to hear about the county name prompts much chagrin, perhaps because it seemed disconnected from local tradition? I see how the old Staffordshire used to reach down quite far south. It's confusing to me!    

4 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

To embellish a bit on other people's shouts so far. If you are touristing it over here from across the water somewhere then Ludlow (proper posh n that) is a great shout. I love Ludlow castle and nice is its byword really. nice day out in the country. Hereford Cathedral is a beautiful building, (hidden gem in normalish dingy city/town) is quite something and of course houses the mappa mundi - one for the possibly interesting maps thread maybe.

Great suggestions. I've been to Ludlow -- loved it. Almost wrecked my rental car in one of those stone crevices there that you English people call a road. It was brilliant though. All that country west of Bewdley to the border is my favourite part of England easily. It feels otherworldly.    

Edited by Marka Ragnos

8 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

It feels otherworldly.    

As an Englishman, being in the USA felt otherworldly to me. It was all familiar from films and TV, but it felt like I was in the film. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Risso said:

I love Ludlow, it's one of the nicest towns in England. Could easily see myself retiring there.

It's interesting to hear about people's love of places such as Ludlow and Lichfield because — while incredibly beautiful -- they seem fairly well-known as tourism magnets, too, and I guess I would have thought that English people would feel they were too well-trodden for their tastes?  

5 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Kyre Park between Tenbury Wells and Bromyard is a hidden gem. It is in the middle of nowhere and feels like someone's private garden. 

And less than a mile from your local Michelin Star restaurant.

30 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

It's interesting to hear about people's love of places such as Ludlow and Lichfield because — while incredibly beautiful -- they seem fairly well-known as tourism magnets, too, and I guess I would have thought that English people would feel they were too well-trodden for their tastes?  

Depends on what you mean. Yes they are both very nice market towns to visit but they are hardly Stratford upon Avon or Oxford  tourist levels

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Depends on what you mean. Yes they are both very nice market towns to visit but they are hardly Stratford upon Avon or Oxford  tourist levels

Definitely, Lichfield is a place that I love to visit, relatively close, but its not an event to go there, Stratford on the other hand is fantastic, you can fill a day easily. Lichfield, once I have looked at second hand records, I am pretty much done.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Definitely, Lichfield is a place that I love to visit, relatively close, but its not an event to go there, Stratford on the other hand is fantastic, you can fill a day easily. Lichfield, once I have looked at second hand records, I am pretty much done.

Personally think Stratford is a little overrated. And you would have to pay me to go in August.

7 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Personally think Stratford is a little overrated. And you would have to pay me to go in August.

December I tend to go, but going to try it in the summer.

4 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

English relatives dragged me as a small child because that's what you do when the American "kin" visit. I loved it, but I found the Norman church in Rock Parish, Worcs more memorable. I haven't been to any place in England I didn't like except maybe some of the new towns with all these rows of semi-detached houses on curvy roads, as in Telford.

Would you say Bewdley is prettier than Hay-on-Wye?

Edited by Marka Ragnos

4 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Bourton-on-the-Water takes the prize for overrated,  I went there expecting quaint and quiet, what I got was coach loads of tourists rammed into a small (but pretty) village. Wasn't an inch of grass avaliable to sit on, I lasted an hour and it cost £20 to park. 

For what it’s worth, the local place were I’ve been by far the most conscious of tourists (American accents, anyway) is Ironbridge. 

Those living further away reading this who haven’t been and want to visit it, it’s pleasant enough. Not really a load to see or do. You could combine it with a short trip over to Much Wenlock. You could probably just about get a day out of those two. Throw in a quick look at Buildwas Abbey en route, maybe.

Industrial Revolution stuff and proto modern Olympic Games - s’alright.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Hay-on-Wye

They've opened the castle to the public in Hay if that's of interest to anyone

But it's in Wales of course. As are all the other good bits. The Coop's in England and Huws and Gray. The postcodes are English.

You really like pushing the boundaries of the West Midlands eh :)

• Thanks 1

Â