Improbably Great Places in the West Midlands

Marka Ragnos

Whitley-Court-West-Midlands.thumb.jpg.23bb633dd305447033f7fc8134867208.jpg

Witley Court, which is actually gutted by fire.

pgds_20130508-205824_image1-3020603077.jpg.f97763bd81025b52a79719b92d7d7090.jpg

It was razed by orcs sent down the A433 by Sauron, who had a country pile to the North West.

0_MQP_BEM_191015fickr001JPG.jpg.b27210ede532f35f49603b8c5c483726.jpg

History's mad, innit.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I would like to add two places that I visited many times as a child Blakesley Hall museum and Yardley Old Church.Both were close to where I was brought up and they were brilliant examples of places that preserved historical buildings in the middle of an urban sprall.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bickster said:

That quoted bit is utter bollocks

Stoke… in the West Midlands …Herefordshire… Shropshire… utter nonsense!

You better go fix it—it's Wikipedia, after all. 😉  They need your help!

5 hours ago, sidcow said:

The accent maybe a truer representation of the original English accent than any.

Cool topic in itself. I would not be surprised if a Mercian dialect of Anglo-Saxon would have persisted in the Black Country since local manual labor-based economies seem to help preserve local dialects, I think? As you may know, old English sounded a lot like Icelandic. Does it sound yam-yammy? I feel like it kind of does, but I don't know I'm just imagining it. 

Edited by Marka Ragnos

1 hour ago, Marka Ragnos said:

You better go fix it—it's Wikipedia, after all. 😉  They need your help!

Nah, those region things are for number crunchers and bean counters to the man on the street they are meaningless. I wouldn’t recommend telling a man from Stoke he lived in the West Midlands, he might spontaneously combust in rage

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

Nah, those region things are for number crunchers and bean counters to the man on the street they are meaningless. I wouldn’t recommend telling a man from Stoke he lived in the West Midlands, he might spontaneously combust in rage

Oddly, I had an argument with a woman I used to work with who was a Stoke fan because I'd suggested they weren't in the West Midlands - she was adamant (it might be because I'd suggested they were East Midlands, which they're clearly not) -anyways, she once broke a Man City fans nose at Wembley so I let her have it.

• Haha 1

I can confirm that it looks like they believe they're in the West Midlands.

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news/local-news/earth-we-stoke-trent-midlands-408670

Historian Fred Hughes agrees the Potteries is a bit of an oddity – but insists the city is very much part of the West Midlands.

He said: “Stoke-on-Trent will always be an anomaly but it is part of the West Midlands and always has been. In fact, it’s been that way since the Kingdom of Mercia.

I can also confirm that having visited Stoke, it has no other place being in a thread called "Improbably Great Places in (the) West Midlands".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, mjmooney said:

If there's a 'Greater Manchester', why not 'Greater Birmingham'? 

Maybe Manchester needs the surrounding areas in order to be great and Birmingham doesn't.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, sidcow said:

Northern Towns seem happy to piggyback on Manchester

I disagree. They loathe it in my experience.

I can’t think of any improbably great places in the West Midlands. I’d say they’re all probably great.

• Like 1

On sunny day with the kids, we love a walk around Bridgnorth (on market day) and then go over to Severn Valley Country Park for the afternoon. Nice little cafe, great woodland and river walks, and watch the steam trains go by on the Severn Valley Railway.

Last summer we watched a kingfisher by the river for a while. What a beautiful bird that is.

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

On sunny day with the kids, we love a walk around Bridgnorth (on market day) and then go over to Severn Valley Country Park for the afternoon. Nice little cafe, great woodland and river walks, and watch the steam trains go by on the Severn Valley Railway.

Last summer we watched a Kingfisher by the river for a while. What a beautiful bird that is.

Floated down the Severn from Bridgnorth to Bewdley on a kayak and was delighted to see a kingfisher. Been on the Wye as well from Hereford,  before they pumped it full of effluent, stunning. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, supermon said:

Aston, it has a premier league team with is name in it, home of HP Sauce, iconic Spaghetti Junction, University named after it too. 

Name any other town that beats that.

I'm sure most despise the area no doubt.

To be fair lots of towns have a famous food stuff and a football team.

8 hours ago, Xann said:

Abberley, Worcestershire.

The buildings are real and are near each other.

I love it round there. The clock tower belongs to a school, that we were considering sending our kids to when we moved back from the IOM.

1 hour ago, blandy said:

I disagree. They loathe it in my experience.

I can’t think of any improbably great places in the West Midlands. I’d say they’re all probably great.

I was thinking more of the councilors than the people in all honesty. 

Then again I'd been working with our Graduate for a good 6 months before I found out he was actually from Salford, not Manchester. 

Â