Pedro Gonçalves

Delphinho123

On 04/06/2023 at 18:36, wishywashy said:

Just here to quote this for the 4th time in a row. I'm sure you're highly appreciative. 😃

Also, he moved back to Portugal as he was allegedly homesick. Not particularly surprising given he was only 19 and being suddenly thrust into a football academy in another nation.

And In Wolverhampton too! Poor lad!!!

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

It's a ridiculous price, we're not paying anywhere near 80 mil euro for him

yeah, wouldnt mind him, but no way in a million years for 80m.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MaVilla said:

yeah, wouldnt mind him, but no way in a million years for 80m.

What sell on clause did Famalicao have? if we know what they had, say a 30% sell on clause and Sporting paid 13.5m to buy 20% of that back then it values Goncalves at 13.5m / 0.2 = 67.5m euro.

So would be good to know how much of the sell on clause they have bought back. 40% of 30%? 

5 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Why has he only played twice for Portugal ? 

I would take international caps with a pinch of salt. We all know Kamara is a baller but Deschamps doesn’t pick him, same with Mings and Grealish before him with the clown Southgate. 

Goncalves is a good player and would fit our system but like others have said not for the €80m

Google tells me they had a 50% sell on clause. So if they paid 13.5m to buy 40% of that it values Goncalves at 33.75m. But it's not as simple as that because Sporting would never sell him for a fee where they only got half so it's somewhere between 33.75 and the release clause of 80m. I'd say we wouldn't spend more than £45m which is about 50m euro

If Maddison goes for 40m to Spurs Barnes is surely available for 30 or less!! I'd go there personally.

€80m is £69m according to today's rates. Shame the pound is so weak these days.

It is expensive but Leicester were saying they were looking for at least £60m for Maddison and Tottenham have ended up paying around £40m by all accounts. So if our negotiating is as good as Spurs we should be able to get Goncalves for around £45m. Leicester's position is weakened by relegation but Sporting finished 4th and missed out on CL so their position is also not strong. 

It is easy to say let's spend £25-30m on Barnes as it's cheaper but he doesn't improve us very much whereas Goncalves definitely will once he settles into the league. 

Depends on us as a club. If we're not prepared to spend relatively big sums on certain players like Newcastle and Tottenham are then our ceiling will only be 8th place and Tottenham will overtake us again. This is the sort of player who improves us considerably going forward so is worth getting done. Let's wait and see if Emery is backed like he should be.

51 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I must admit, for whatever reason, of all the players we’ve been linked to, this one doesn’t excite or bother me at all.

Yeah I'm weirdly in the same boat. He doesn't excite me that much either.

I think it's because he reminds me of Coutinho a little bit and I feel like we've got enough small, lightweight players like that already.

It's partly why I was keen on Nico Williams (until he seemingly said no). Never seen him play, but liked the idea of having a more physical / athletic player in that area of the pitch.

13 hours ago, MrBlack said:

@RicRic...this guy would create a similar buzz, but probably about as unlikely as Nico Williams probably ever was.

Oh no thats not what I wanted to hear, thats ruling out some extremely highly regarded options , okay what do you think our chances of Joao Felix is ?

1 hour ago, RicRic said:

Oh no thats not what I wanted to hear, thats ruling out some extremely highly regarded options , okay what do you think our chances of Joao Felix is ?

Similarly unfeasible. But then we got Kamara so I'm ruling nothing out. Unlikely yes, impossible... never.

Edited by MrBlack
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Where exactly does he play? I imagine the next one to be upgraded would be Bailey - sort of wide forward/shadow striker. 

off the left mostly, but can also play off the right, or in the AM/SS position.

• Like 2

Â