Pedro Gonçalves

Delphinho123

6 minutes ago, sne said:

Nope 2026. But just like with Palhinha I doubt Sporting will demand the full release clause as no one will pay that. If they do then there will be no deal and that might be fine for both us, them and the player.

Yes if they're willing to sell less than his release clause. We won't be paying the release clause price. So the release clause is basically irrelevant in this case. 

I think Media quote it all the time because it's more publicly available so good to quote. Also big numbers are better for clicks

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

Yes if they're willing to sell less than his release clause. We won't be paying the release clause price. So the release clause is basically irrelevant in this case. 

I think Media quote it all the time because it's more publicly available so good to quote. Also big numbers are better for clicks

Yeah it's a bit like when £17m Aston Villa player Emi Martinez is linked to Chelsea. They look on the last transfer fee or on Transfermarkt and just go from there. Obviously it happens that you have to pay the release clause but it's more that they have to be there in some countries. No one is going to pay €1 billion for Ansu Fati if Barca manages to get him sold.

2 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I doubt it's even happening.

As others have said, I doubt we will.be paying such a figure for this guy and no offer has even been tabled anyway.

Pointless thread.

But what a goal!! He must sign for us!

I've been really excited about the possibility of signing Gonçalves, but the more I've read about his stats and history makes me wonder whether he is exactly the player we need.

His stats are excellent, but when you factor in the number of penalties he scores (as part of his goals total) and the obscure names of most of the teams he's scored and assisted against ,the stats become less impressive.

Ramsey has played the same number of games for Villa in the PL as Gonçalves has played for Sporting, and JJ has played twice as many age group internationals as PG just to compare experience. Also PG has only played two senior internationals for Portugal (a friendly against Spain in 2020 was one, and I couldn't find details of the other). He was in the initial group of 55 players named for the World Cup, but didn't make the squad.

In his two years at Wolves he played only one competitive game and that was an EFL cup game against Sheffield Wednesday. One of the reasons he gave for returning to Portugal was homesickness. I know he was young then and that wouldn't have helped him.

I'm glad that Monchi has joined us because I watched him say on his YouTube videos that he looks at the person just as much as he looks at the player, which is hugely important when you're thinking of taking a player out of an environment that may have become a comfort zone.

I'm still very impressed with Gonçalves, but I wonder whether he is a perfect fit for us. At his asking price that's what he has to be .... a perfect fit!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, villabromsgrove said:

I've been really excited about the possibility of signing Gonçalves, but the more I've read about his stats and history makes me wonder whether he is exactly the player we need.

His stats are excellent, but when you factor in the number of penalties he scores (as part of his goals total) and the obscure names of most of the teams he's scored and assisted against ,the stats become less impressive.

Ramsey has played the same number of games for Villa in the PL as Gonçalves has played for Sporting, and JJ has played twice as many age group internationals as PG just to compare experience. Also PG has only played two senior internationals for Portugal (a friendly against Spain in 2020 was one, and I couldn't find details of the other). He was in the initial group of 55 players named for the World Cup, but didn't make the squad.

In his two years at Wolves he played only one competitive game and that was an EFL cup game against Sheffield Wednesday. One of the reasons he gave for returning to Portugal was homesickness. I know he was young then and that wouldn't have helped him.

I'm glad that Monchi has joined us because I watched him say on his YouTube videos that he looks at the person just as much as he looks at the player, which is hugely important when you're thinking of taking a player out of an environment that may have become a comfort zone.

I'm still very impressed with Gonçalves, but I wonder whether he is a perfect fit for us. At his asking price that's what he has to be .... a perfect fit!

I must admit to having had similar doubts as you. I watched a YouTube video of his highlights yesterday and the amount on penalties on it was quite significant number, yes he takes a good penalty but we don’t get that many to be honest. Also, as we have discussed in the Vitoria SC thread, it’s not that strong a league outside the top 4, stats can be very misleading if he is padding against the lower level teams. 

He could end up being great, equally a team like us needs a more sure fire bet, I am not sure he is it at that price. I think we will look elsewhere unless the price is nearer £30m mark.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So apparently we won't be signing Goncalves because our offer of £38.6m is £30m short of Sporting's asking price :D

Link:  https://www.record.pt/futebol/futebol-nacional/liga-betclic/sporting/detalhe/aston-villa-resignado-com-preco-de-pote?ref=Liga Betclic_DestaquesPrincipais

Translation:  "Aston Villa resigned with pot price Birmingham club was willing to reach up to 45 million euros Pot is one of the targets identified by Aston Villa as a potential reinforcement for the new season, but the price demanded by the lions makes the transfer unfeasible, at least for this market window, which ends at the end of the month. The Birmingham club was willing to reach €45m, a value that in Alvalade is considered low. In fact, Frederico Varandas assured in an interview with Sporting TV that after Ugarte's departure, the holders will only leave after the value of the termination clause, which, in this case, is 80 M€. It remains to be noted that, last month, SAD negotiated with Famalicão the purchase of over 40% of the Transmontano pass for 7.7 M€."

19 minutes ago, bobzy said:

So apparently we won't be signing Goncalves because our offer of £38.6m is £30m short of Sporting's asking price :D

Link:  https://www.record.pt/futebol/futebol-nacional/liga-betclic/sporting/detalhe/aston-villa-resignado-com-preco-de-pote?ref=Liga Betclic_DestaquesPrincipais

Translation:  "Aston Villa resigned with pot price Birmingham club was willing to reach up to 45 million euros Pot is one of the targets identified by Aston Villa as a potential reinforcement for the new season, but the price demanded by the lions makes the transfer unfeasible, at least for this market window, which ends at the end of the month. The Birmingham club was willing to reach €45m, a value that in Alvalade is considered low. In fact, Frederico Varandas assured in an interview with Sporting TV that after Ugarte's departure, the holders will only leave after the value of the termination clause, which, in this case, is 80 M€. It remains to be noted that, last month, SAD negotiated with Famalicão the purchase of over 40% of the Transmontano pass for 7.7 M€."

Good. We don’t need him. Much rather sign Doku, Johnson or Torres

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Good to see we won’t be held to ransom by these selling clubs like some others have. If we don’t get who we want for the price we’re offering, we move on. Trust in some Monchi magic.

I can see us revisiting this in a years time is he’s not sold and buying him for half the original value.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Good to see we won’t be held to ransom by these selling clubs like some others have. If we don’t get who we want for the price we’re offering, we move on. Trust in some Monchi magic.

hold someone to ransom definition: to force someone to do something by putting that person in a situation where they have no choice

Selling clubs are entitled to ask whatever they want for their players. Buying clubs aren't being force to pay it. Only Man United are ever stupid enough to decide they 100% want a player and ultimately have to over pay for them. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

hold someone to ransom definition: to force someone to do something by putting that person in a situation where they have no choice

Selling clubs are entitled to ask whatever they want for their players. Buying clubs aren't being force to pay it. Only Man United are ever stupid enough to decide they 100% want a player and ultimately have to over pay for them. 

Selling clubs can ask what they want, doesn’t mean the asking fees aren’t ridiculous for some of these player. And that was kind of my point, teams like United and Chelsea are stupid enough to pay them, we aren’t.

Seems like Emery really likes him. If we can sell a few more players and pay 50m, I'm good with that. Remember,  Monchi isn't sentimental about any of our players. Don't be surprised if McGinn or Ramsey are sold sooner rather than later. 

10 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Seems like Emery really likes him. If we can sell a few more players and pay 50m, I'm good with that. Remember,  Monchi isn't sentimental about any of our players. Don't be surprised if McGinn or Ramsey are sold sooner rather than later. 

McGinn maybe, but I’d be v. v. surprised if Ramsey was sold this season or next…

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

Don’t you need players that are “homegrown at club” when you play in Europe?

Ramsey is far too valuable to sell, even if we can get Goncalves.

Â