Pre-Match Thread

MaVilla

Just in case anyone doesn't know this falls onto yet another rail strike day so services will be limited if not no services.

I make that now the third home game this season without trains with Everton and also Wolves.  So the fizzy pop for me then.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

Just in case anyone doesn't know this falls onto yet another rail strike day so services will be limited if not no services.

I make that now the third home game this season without trains with Everton and also Wolves.  So the fizzy pop for me then.

Thought the train strike was cancelled?

The away lineup had no Watkins, Luiz, or Mings. Cheers for that Stevie. 

Will be a tough game and dependent on whether the players have the nerve to bore Bournemouth to death and find that cutting edge in the final third. 

No doubt Bournemouth will sit back and be content lumping it up and win corners against us to try and brute force the ball in. 

An exceedingly dull 1-0 Villa win. 

Edited by DJBOB
  • Like 1

The fixture at Bournemouth might be the most mental first 11 ever selected by a Villa manager.

And I include Bruce and his nine right backs in that.

Gerrard was the worst manager we have ever had. I'll never waiver from that belief.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Can't see it being anything but a desperate end-to-end nerve-fest from kickoff until the final whistle with one team desperate not to be relegated against another tired of being set at 11 and on the cusp of European "pre-contention", if that makes sense?  Prepare for anxiety.

Exactly. I'm not worried that Bournemouth is a bogey team for us. I'm worried that 5 points separate 9 teams in the relegation battle; nobody is safe, and nobody is doomed. Even if we are utterly dominating them and leading 2-0 after 85 minutes, they're going to fight to the final whistle because every point matters for them and they will do everything they can just to nick a draw. And maintaining our concentration for a full 90 minutes is not our specialty.

Looking ahead, we have more games against the top half than the bottom half for the rest of the season, and unusually, I think that's a good thing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

The fixture at Bournemouth might be the most mental first 11 ever selected by a Villa manager.

Gerrard was the worst manager we have ever had. I'll never waiver from that belief.

If you’re including subs, remember when Bruce brought Chris Samba on upfront when we needed a goal!?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

Ollie didn't have a great pre season so I don't think Ings being selected ahead of him was that big a deal compared to recent times when both were still here. Mings was supposed to be slightly injured but given the infamous "look me in the eye" interview he was obviously dropped and about to be sold before Konsa-Carlos showed how unsuitable it was v physical striker in Kieffer Moore.

Probably biggest contention was starting Coutinho over Buendia and we were just so slow building up play all that afternoon and barely had a shot on target.

It was just a continuation in how we played for the final 10 games of the previous season and we should've sacked Gerrard after losing to West Ham.

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

The bus strike was cancelled.

How u get to villa park now?  I was getting train in from airport and then train out to witton.

I was able to book tickets, said nothing about strikes. 

Edited by HeyAnty

10 hours ago, HeyAnty said:

How u get to villa park now?  I was getting train in from airport and then train out to witton.

I was able to book tickets, said nothing about strikes. 

766 bus to erdington , then the 11 to villa park , or you can go via city centre

1 hour ago, mattyvilla said:

766 bus to erdington , then the 11 to villa park , or you can go via city centre

Thanks Matty.  Flights back out at 8pm so just booked a return taxi, buses probably be hard to get as well.  90quid I hadn’t banked on.  O well utv

Borenomirth have won just two of their last ten, so despite Liverpool win they aren't in great form, and I'm kind of glad they won that as can serve as a warning to us that it won't be an easy game, as it's the games where we're over confident about that we seem to struggle in. If we approach it in right way then should have an excellent chance.

• Like 4

On 12/03/2023 at 21:22, smg said:

Love the pre match thread loads of posts looking for reasons why we won’t win. This then progresses when the ref is announced as they all have it in for us and will do anything to stop us winning before VAR screw us over in the the game itself.  For Bournemouth why can’t we just say we have a stronger squad, better manager and home advantage ( sadly the twelfth man is not what it is supposed to be ) but surely that should be enough for most on here to have a little optimism?

We will smash these. 4-0 Villa.

• Like 1

On 15/03/2023 at 13:18, Don_Simon said:

It's a close one.....

Sherwood Tim Sherwood GIF - Sherwood Tim Sherwood Tactics ...

Edited by TheStagMan
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1