Pre-Match Thread

MaVilla

We welcome Bournemouth to Villa Park.

Bournemouth, one of the form teams over the last two games!!, only losing to Arsenal in a heartbreaking way after going 2-0 up, then beating Liverpool today.

Classic Villa.....meeting relegation fodder just as they have their turn around in form! :P

We already lost to these once, i remember that game vividly..........😭

What will we do this time?

Billing seems to be scoring in most of the games recently and has scored against us previously, they are a bit of a bogey team for us aren't they? Think this will be tougher than many expect, however would be really disappointed with anything but a win tbh. At least its another saturday 3pm kick off at Villa Park which has been a rare thing for us this season! Looking forward to saturday now

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Of course we will lose we always seem to lose to these lot and i have no idea why ffs

tbh i can see this being a tough game, i think we massively underestimated Bournemouth at the start of the season, that doesnt mean they are good, but we underestimated what strengths they do have.

They have a lot of things that imo are usually considered our kryptonite, they have physicality and height, and they also have a lot of pace up top, all of these things will cause us trouble again if we arent careful.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

tbh i can see this being a tough game, i think we massively underestimated Bournemouth at the start of the season, that doesnt mean they are good, but we underestimated what strengths they do have.

They have a lot of things that imo are usually considered our kryptonite, they have physicality and height, and they also have a lot of pace up top, all of these things will cause us trouble again if we arent careful.

Yes this is bound to be a tough game given that they managed to go 2 up v Arsenal and then beat Liverpool who had just beaten Man Utd 7-0! They're clearly putting up a proper fight to stay up. Considering all that plus the fact they're one of our bogey teams with all their wins against us in recent seasons I'm not looking forward to playing them next Saturday.

Love the pre match thread loads of posts looking for reasons why we won’t win. This then progresses when the ref is announced as they all have it in for us and will do anything to stop us winning before VAR screw us over in the the game itself.  For Bournemouth why can’t we just say we have a stronger squad, better manager and home advantage ( sadly the twelfth man is not what it is supposed to be ) but surely that should be enough for most on here to have a little optimism?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, smg said:

Love the pre match thread loads of posts looking for reasons why we won’t win. This then progresses when the ref is announced as they all have it in for us and will do anything to stop us winning before VAR screw us over in the the game itself.  For Bournemouth why can’t we just say we have a stronger squad, better manager and home advantage ( sadly the twelfth man is not what it is supposed to be ) but surely that should be enough for most on here to have a little optimism?

In the past, any sign of optimism was followed by disaster. That is why people on here are trying their best to keep the optimism well hidden, and predicting doom and gloom.

Yes, on paper this should be 3 points in the bag, but Bournemouth have improved lately, and even if we still manage to grind out result, we aren’t impressing anybody.

Hopefully Emery can make us win, but it will be close. We haven’t scored more than 2 goals in a match under Emery, so a solid defence is going to be essential.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

We haven’t scored more than 2 goals in a match under Emery, so a solid defence is going to be essential.

Mate, what about his first match?! 

(The one we'd only had to wait 27 years for and the reason he is my hero !) 😍

• Haha 1

As seen against West ham, whenever the chance is there to push on, capitalise on other teams failings, and make ground on the teams above us.... we will always fail to do so. 

I can see us losing or drawing this then beating Chelsea away. By which time they'll already have re-established their >3pt lead over us that means we will stay 11th.

It's still the villa way.

Hopefully Dendoncker is fit for this as McGinn was wasted further back (but still didn't play bad there) and Chambers looked poor when he came on. 

Looking at the league positions we should be confident about this.  Looking at our recent form against them and the styles of play and this isn't going to be easy.

I'll go for a 1-1 prediction, goals from McGinn for us and Billings for them

In years gone by this would be a massive banana skin, if we could comfortably win this it will say aa lot about how far we have come under our new manager.

We have to accept that effort levels will slip eventually, its just the nature of the beast for a safe mid table team and one battling for their lives.

I think the win over Liverpool will take the edge off them. We win this, but I won't dare to think it'll be too comfortable.

• Like 4

I’m hoping some of you can help me. Im taking my annual trip to Villa park on Saturday.  For me and the kid it costs upwards of 700 so can only afford the one unfortunately.  

Our last trip was Norwich at end of last season 2-0 and was the 10 year olds first game.  We arrived at 1130am.  I asked the guard at the entrance what time do the players arrive.  He said around 1pm, so me and young boy headed off to the shop.  Came back around 1245pm and all the players had arrived already.  Put a dampner on the day for him as it was one of the things he was looking forward to.  Turns out Stevie G had them in for 12 for pre game meal or some rubbish.  

Anyway does anyone know what time the players arrive these days to the stadium?  

19 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Of course we will lose we always seem to lose to these lot and i have no idea why ffs

Stature/Physicality...Its hard to combat,when a few spirited big 'uns, want to test the resolve.

We are currently between a rock and a hard place......neither physical or a slick expansive team, who can run the legs off them.....its part of the reason, why we are inconsistent, depending on who we play.

47 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

I’m hoping some of you can help me. Im taking my annual trip to Villa park on Saturday.  For me and the kid it costs upwards of 700 so can only afford the one unfortunately.  

Our last trip was Norwich at end of last season 2-0 and was the 10 year olds first game.  We arrived at 1130am.  I asked the guard at the entrance what time do the players arrive.  He said around 1pm, so me and young boy headed off to the shop.  Came back around 1245pm and all the players had arrived already.  Put a dampner on the day for him as it was one of the things he was looking forward to.  Turns out Stevie G had them in for 12 for pre game meal or some rubbish.  

Anyway does anyone know what time the players arrive these days to the stadium?  

usually about 4.50pm....just kidding.....I don't know, maybe it varies to instruction.

I'm sure if you was coming from far away, they would be empathetic to your plan for a good day, for you and your child.....let them know, of your plans.

Edited by TRO