Antonio Cordón - New Sporting Director?

HalfTimePost

I wonder if this is an old story being regurgitated or if it's actually happening now.  Here is a story from February with all 3 names listed as well.  Says either Villa or Barca are signing the group and there is a lot of confusion as to which club has made offers to the team.

https://sportwitness.co.uk/confusion-aston-villa-approach-transfer-chief-one-offer-villans-another-club/

Lange's recruits that he was being crucified for under Gerrard are starting to look good under Emery, so it seems a bit harsh to give him and his entire scouting/recruitment staff the boot for another regime.  On the other hand, Cordon's group have performed miracles at Betis and the parallels to Villa are eerily similar.  The club appointed both Cordon and manager Manuel Pellegrini in 2020 they took the club from 15th to winning the Copa del Rey and qualifying for the Europa League on a shoestring budget.  They're currently 3 points off a Champions League spot in La Liga with a squad composed of a lot of former flops from across Europe and very good young talent they've scouted.  It would possibly be a very big upgrade in the recruitment side of the club if these guys do join us this year.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, allani said:

I think Lange gets a lot of undeserved flak on here.  I think he's done a pretty decent job and most of our transfers over the last few years have been successful.  It wasn't his fault that FFP meant that to get from where we were under Bruce to where we are now we needed to recruit effectively two or three teams.  I would say that Emi, Mings, Luiz, Kamara and Watkins (in his current form) are five outstanding signings straight off the bat who represent incredible value for money (not sure how many Lange directly "recruited").  I think some people think that he should have been able to find 11 unknown players from the 3rd division of some a European league, signed them and seen them all turn into £60 million + players within 6 months.  Had Brighton signed the five players above I am sure that many on here would be exclaiming "Why is it always Brighton?  How comes we never sign those type of players?".  Brighton have made some exceptional signings but they have also signed plenty of duds - they're also the exception to the rule.  If you look at clubs who might be our direct competitors (Everton, West Ham, Leicester, Wolves, Newcastle) then our recruitment over the last 4 or 5 seasons in comparison to them has been pretty good.

That's not to say that we can't do better and the 3 guys mentioned above seem to have an excellent track record in Spain - so it will be interesting to see whether they can have similar success here (if they do indeed sign for us).  I suspect that the Spanish / South American market is going to be rich pickings for us over the coming windows given Emery's reputation and the fact that we've got a good core of young players in key positions doing well here already.  It will be much easier for players to adjust to a new club, new country, etc.

That said I would be surprised if Lange is moved out completely. 

Weren’t some of those Suso signings not Lange?

4 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Welcome Antonio - I look forward to holding you personally responsible for even the smallest failures in our player or managerial recruitment processes.

That's the spirit.

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, KMitch said:

I wonder if this is an old story being regurgitated or if it's actually happening now.  Here is a story from February with all 3 names listed as well.  Says either Villa or Barca are signing the group and there is a lot of confusion as to which club has made offers to the team.

https://sportwitness.co.uk/confusion-aston-villa-approach-transfer-chief-one-offer-villans-another-club/

Lange's recruits that he was being crucified for under Gerrard are starting to look good under Emery, so it seems a bit harsh to give him and his entire scouting/recruitment staff the boot for another regime.  On the other hand, Cordon's group have performed miracles at Betis and the parallels to Villa are eerily similar.  The club appointed both Cordon and manager Manuel Pellegrini in 2020 they took the club from 15th to winning the Copa del Rey and qualifying for the Europa League on a shoestring budget.  They're currently 3 points off a Champions League spot in La Liga with a squad composed of a lot of former flops from across Europe and very good young talent they've scouted.  It would possibly be a very big upgrade in the recruitment side of the club if these guys do join us this year.  

There's no denying that team of recruiters have been impressive. If we have been after then and succeeded in getting them in we have an incredible sumer to look forward too. 

It wouldn't surprise me to see Nas and Wes going all in on a Spanish management/coaching/recruitment structure. The current top two clubs in the league have Spanish managers. 

1 minute ago, Villarocker said:

There's no denying that team of recruiters have been impressive. If we have been after then and succeeded in getting them in we have an incredible sumer to look forward too. 

It wouldn't surprise me to see Nas and Wes going all in on a Spanish management/coaching/recruitment structure. The current top two clubs in the league have Spanish managers. 

It's also likely Emery has probably asked for this.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

It's also likely Emery has probably asked for this.

And we have to buy in to Emery, the turnaround has been so dramatic that it’s impossible to refuse if he says we need “his team” then we’d be silly not to go all in on the Unai 

5 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

I'd be all for Tapas as an offering at Villa Park too. 

Madri beer can piss off though, my cat has seen more of Spain than that beer and that chunky **** never leaves the house. 

That only leaves San Miguel then, which smells like a fart in a bottle. Guess we could always stock up on some Spanish rioja.

• Like 1

Just now, duke313 said:

That only leaves San Miguel then, which smells like a fart in a bottle. Guess we could always stock up on some Spanish rioja.

I am all over this. @duke313 for Director of Spanish Refreshments!

7 minutes ago, duke313 said:

estrella...not only estrella damm which is ok but surely one day estrella galicia will make its way over to the foreign beer section

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Cruzcampo, Mahou, Victoria, Alhambra Especial are way better beers...a different league.

Alhambra Reserva 1925 is the best of the bunch though! 🇪🇸

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, allani said:

I think Lange gets a lot of undeserved flak on here.  I think he's done a pretty decent job and most of our transfers over the last few years have been successful.  It wasn't his fault that FFP meant that to get from where we were under Bruce to where we are now we needed to recruit effectively two or three teams.  I would say that Emi, Mings, Luiz, Kamara and Watkins (in his current form) are five outstanding signings straight off the bat who represent incredible value for money (not sure how many Lange directly "recruited").  I think some people think that he should have been able to find 11 unknown players from the 3rd division of some a European league, signed them and seen them all turn into £60 million + players within 6 months.  Had Brighton signed the five players above I am sure that many on here would be exclaiming "Why is it always Brighton?  How comes we never sign those type of players?".  Brighton have made some exceptional signings but they have also signed plenty of duds - they're also the exception to the rule.  If you look at clubs who might be our direct competitors (Everton, West Ham, Leicester, Wolves, Newcastle) then our recruitment over the last 4 or 5 seasons in comparison to them has been pretty good.

That's not to say that we can't do better and the 3 guys mentioned above seem to have an excellent track record in Spain - so it will be interesting to see whether they can have similar success here (if they do indeed sign for us).  I suspect that the Spanish / South American market is going to be rich pickings for us over the coming windows given Emery's reputation and the fact that we've got a good core of young players in key positions doing well here already.  It will be much easier for players to adjust to a new club, new country, etc.

That said I would be surprised if Lange is moved out completely. 

To be fair Mings and Luiz were certainly here before Lange. Maybe Watkins was too?

32 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

estrella...not only estrella damm which is ok but surely one day estrella galicia will make its way over to the foreign beer section

Estrella Galicia is top stuff

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Cruzcampo, Mahou, Victoria, Alhambra Especial are way better beers...a different league.

Alhambra Reserva 1925 is the best of the bunch though! 🇪🇸

Cruzcampo is vile poison. Mahou is average but passable!

Spain has a lot of great things, but the beer is beyond average. It's cheap though. This is my judgement having been living here for 7 years.

As for Cordón, exciting!!

Edited by Rolta

1 hour ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Also the best news is that Emery is all in for the Villa. No interest in moving onwards. He is targetting the staff that he knows will bring success. 

I get a nervous twitch whenever I hear/see this phrase. 

Please stop using it, the scars are only just healing 🤣

Â