Nicola Bulley Missing Dog Walker

Lupinthe5th

1 hour ago, will87 said:

They've already stated why they released that particular info...

Do you think that makes it more clear? I think that makes it about as clear as it was previously.

We knew they were detailing the nature of her 'vulnerabilities'. Why they felt the need to talk about them in the first place is not clear and then furthermore, why they felt they needed to elaborate on them to help clarify... Clarify what? What is the relevance?

I don't really understand the narrative here. It seems like the British public are torn on whether or not this woman is worth looking for. 'Why should we care about some alcoholic' is a thread running through all the discussion tonight on Twitter, with a similar vein of 'why aren't we giving these other missing people as much attention'. I think it's just showing that some people who go missing are more worthy of being talked about in the media than others. 

We thought she was a poor unfortunate white mother so we were interested, but the police don't like that a narrative was being created around maybe some foul play and some neglect on their part, so they're now attempting to decrease interest by making the story about an alcoholic unstable woman who we shouldn't care about, like all those other people who go missing. 

It's interesting to watch actually, how the public's interest is being manipulated to take attention away from the story, just in case there was any failings on the part of the police in their initial investigation. Why are the police telling the public about a woman's vulnerabilities and alcoholism, as if it is a matter of public interest? And then you have people thinking yeah, alright this is appropriate that I know this and yes it is normal that this is the source from which I should be getting this information. The police are not TMZ for missing women.

If anyone can explain why the police are releasing this information, I'd be interested to hear it, because it makes no sense to me. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Anyone else think this media circus has actually been created because she's a fairly attractive white middle class woman? 

As others have said there are tons of missing persons I incidents every month.  I guess there is intrigue about her phone being left on connected to a teams meeting but I reckon if she was an OAP or some fat ugly person it probably wouldn't have got out of the local press and even then be forgotten in a couple of days. 

Certainly that teenager who fell in the river a year or so ago didn't reach this level of media intensity. 

Yes totally. That is the market audience that most consumes linear media. Channel 5 took a break from broadcasting from Yorkshire the other day and spent an entire hour on primetime on this story. It doesn't make it less sad than any other misper case but I think you are quite right on the extent of the coverage.

Edited by The Fun Factory

Whatever has happened, whatever the outcome, there are two little girls at the heart of all this that just want to see their mummy again.

As a parent, just breaks my heart to think how they’re doing right now. It’s so sad. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Anyone else think this media circus has actually been created because she's a fairly attractive white middle class woman?

Yes. People vanish all the time and they don't get much/any media coverage.

11 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Whatever has happened, whatever the outcome, there are two little girls at the heart of all this that just want to see their mummy again.

As a parent, just breaks my heart to think how they’re doing right now. It’s so sad. 

True. Now think about how many Turkish and Syrian children are in that situation atm. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

True. Now think about how many Turkish and Syrian children are in that situation atm. 

Absolutely and equally as tragic but I was referring to a situation specific to the thread. 

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Because the Police know very well what has likely happened and probably did from the start.

They were trying to be discreet about it to save her privacy but the lack of information only drove people to speculate wildly and write 15 page threads about her and her family on social media.

So they have had to release more details so we can close the thread and move on. 

Am I missing a satirical aspect, or is that genuinely your view?

11 hours ago, thunderball said:

Maybe it’s appropriate context given the huge public interest and intrusive speculation/accusation. Maybe, and I suspect,  the family agreed to this information being released because it has become a free for all circus affecting lots of peoples lives.

Maybe this lady stopped her “frequent” social media posting in December because she slipped into depression or suffered mental health issues, after all Christmas can be a catalyst to mental health issues as I know from first hand experience. Maybe a relapse into alcohol issues ensued which resulted in a further deterioration of her mental well being in January when an incident was referred to whereby Police and health professional attended their home (suicide attempt?). Maybe the family were coping with a downward spiral where suicide has been threatened or attempted, maybe she might even have said “I’ll throw my self in the River Wyre”. Maybe the partner wearily isn’t surprised by the turn of events, hence his reaction. Maybe he is utterly stand up, the strength of the family with young kids to this point while trying to care for some one with a challenging mental health issue, he could well be a saint rather than her killer as some would have it? 

Who knows? 

I do know bodies do fall into water and either take ages to come to light or are never found. There are plenty cases of misadventure by students or revellers disappearing when out with groups of friends in the vicinity of docks or rivers, some never turn up. It can happen.

I can see no reason why it’s appropriate to disclose that she was menopausal or had alcohol problems.  Even with the family’s consent it’s inexcusable.  

She is either dead or alive. The disclosure of her personal information will not help find her in either circumstance. 

It’s a desperate attempt by the Police to justify their actions and conclusions.  

It hasn’t stopped speculation.  It hasn’t reduced interest in the case.   It will not stop people on the internet posting bizarre theories.

• Like 1

it seems to me that Lancashire Police are getting some very very bad media advice.  I'm surprised some national expert hasn't been parachuted in to deal with the whole media piece.  It's been a total disaster and you feel they are just drowning in their own mire.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, blandy said:

Am I missing a satirical aspect, or is that genuinely your view?

To be honest it’s a pretty niche local news story from the U.K. so I haven’t been following all that closely.

It seems inappropriate to disclose the specific reasons why she was considered a ‘vulnerable person’ but updating the public to (discreetly) suggest suicide was their most likely line of investigation seemed necessary to stop the circus of Joe Public accusing the husband, digging into their finances or breaking into local properties etc. 

6 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I think what is different from this case, the families in Syria/Turkey, or people drowning while crossing the sea…all obviously tragic events, however the families in Syria/Turkey aren’t having conspiracy theories about members of their family being openly discussed.

There’s no “Yeah, but look at that Turkish man talking about the earthquake, is he REALLY sad that his child is missing?? He’s not acting like I would…” bullshit that the distressed family are having to deal with on top of this already upsetting time.

Their mum is basically becoming a ****ing meme while their lives are being ripped apart.

Spot on 👍

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

To be honest it’s a pretty niche local news story from the U.K. so I haven’t been following all that closely.

It seems inappropriate to disclose the specific reasons why she was considered a ‘vulnerable person’ but updating the public to (discreetly) suggest suicide was their most likely line of investigation seemed necessary to stop the circus of Joe Public accusing the husband, digging into their finances or breaking into local properties etc. 

Thanks, that makes more sense.

Â