Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

4 minutes ago, allani said:

Looking for both or looking at both?  I'd be surprised if we signed both.  I do think that Ollie's "style" gives us more flexibility in formation than many other teams would have.  I'm not suggesting that we should move him from the CF role but his natural pressing and tendency to drift left means that our attack can be quite dynamic around him (without us sticking him as a left / right "winger").

But still it really depends on Cam’s role this season.  Also despite some people not wanting to talk about it if Ollie gets an injury, loss of form, suspended, ineffective in a game(s) or we need to chase a game that we need another leader of the line imo.  Yes, a number of the players we have, could try and do that but it’s putting a square peg in a round whole and given our target of CL place you can’t afford to slip up.  It doesn’t need to be £70m striker unless Emery wanted that, I’m just saying it I think we need an option there.

P.s. I meant sign one not both, the best suited we could get.

• Like 2

Just now, nick76 said:

But still it really depends on Cam’s role this season.  Also despite some people not wanting to talk about it if Ollie gets an injury, loss of form, suspended, ineffective in a game(s) or we need to chase a game that we need another leader of the line imo.  Yes, a number of the players we have, could try and do that but it’s putting a square peg in a round whole and given our target of CL place you can’t afford to slip up.  It doesn’t need to be £70m striker unless Emery wanted that, I’m just saying it I think we need an option there.

P.s. I meant sign one not both, the best suited we could get.

That's what I thought you meant.  And (not unsurprisingly) I agree with you.  I'd be quite happy with a "free scoring" 10 as I think that gives us a chance to try out Cam in the CF role if Ollie gets injured - because with Diaby and the 10 we've got players who will be scoring / assisting and attracting the attention of the defenders.  I feel that there is a sentiment that another CF means either lots of money, a lot of money for a back-up, is disrespectful to Ollie, or that we can't play two CFs, it didn't work with Ings, Ollie being better when he was the main man.  But I do think that there are plenty of forwards who could combine very well with Ollie - because Ollie's not a one-dimensional CF.  His willingness to press / chase, his tendency to drift wide, etc - means that we could end up with a very dynamic front 3 with players able to interchange, spread our attacking threat, etc - which also then means that one injury isn't so risky (in terms of potential impact).  For me - this is the key position for next season.  Get it right and we could seriously upset the teams above us.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, tinker said:

Looks a bit slow but decent control in tight spots, likes to turn defenders as well, it's his strength that's his main positive plus that head, like having a foot on forehead.

Have to temper it all though as the defenders and general play around him was very poor,  lower than championship and Davies can look world class at that level.......apart from not scoring goals. 

I don't know much about him but there did seem to be a bit of a buzz about him in Italy earlier in the year.  Italy have really struggled in the CF position for a while and they've tried a few options to try and address their Achilles heel.   There were plenty saying that Retegui might be the answer - also some concerns about the fact that he's only really had one prolific season.  Would be a gamble for sure.  It will be interesting to see whether some of his goals were down to bad defending or just a very good knack of finding space and being in the right place at the right time.  If the latter then that's a skill that will transfer to any league in the world.

Just now, CVByrne said:

I would like Lo Celso as he adds a lot to a squad and is so versatile. Plus he's an experienced international who would be a world cup winner if he wasn't injured

No because he would’ve started over MacAllister and MacAllister was one of the many key players that helped win the World Cup.  Making a key change to the first XI could’ve meant some events not happening and somebody else wins the World Cup.

Also I’m not a fan of Lo Celso so hope he completes his move to Betis so we don’t have talk about him again 😉

Giles is six years younger than Nakamba, has twenty assists over the last two seasons in the Championship, he also isn't in the last year of his contract, in terms of comparisons to Villa players he's more of a similar profile to Archer than Nakamba, was vital in Middlesbrough team last season, if he was our player I'd probably want more than £5m, I think Wolves just desperate to get as much in as they can at the moment.

At least we got some money for Nakamba, since promotion Ashley Young, Guilbert, Kalinic, Hourihane, Tom Heaton, Henri Lansbury, James Chester, Borja Baston, Jota Peleteiro, De Leat, Elphick, Adomah, Whelan, Green, and Nyland all left on frees.

N̶o̴w̵ ̸l̸e̴t̴s̵ ̵s̶e̴e̴ ̸i̵f̷ ̸w̴e̴ ̵c̷a̶n̶ ̸g̷e̴t̸ ̶s̶o̵m̴e̵ ̷m̸o̴r̸e̵ ̷m̴o̴n̷e̷y̸ ̷f̷r̸o̸m̷ ̴s̸a̸l̴e̸s̸ ̷ 💸:twisted:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, allani said:

I think we are after a 10 who can also play as a striker.  So we can play both when they are both available and then if Ollie is out we have the option of either starting the 10 up front or starting Archer.  I think having a new 10 and Diaby means that taking Ollie off after 60/70 mins is less risky (than it is with Buendia / Bailey) and so - assuming Archer doesn't go on loan - we'd be able to play him into the team without there being an immediate pressure on him to be our primary goal threat.

3 hours ago, nick76 said:

I think we are looking for both and then pick the best player/fit we can get of one of them.  I think we can utilise well either option and we are being linked with both types.

Spoiler

spacer.png

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Just read the fee for Nakamba to Luton is approx 2 mill. Are we underselling players? Apparently Luton going yo buy Giles from Wolves for 5m. Marv should be at least that!

Luton probably couldn’t even come close to paying the wages Marv would have been wanting so id imagine we’ve compromised by dropping the fee to accommodate getting him off the books 

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Is it ? Thats good news then at least. Hopefully a good sell on clause

I think so.

He was 11m on a 5 year contract roughly, so 2.2m per year (over 5 years) on the books for FFP purposes.

1 year left on his contract, so in theory 2.2m left on the books as the balance of his transfer cost.

Probably overly basic explanation, but it's roughly correct I think.

So almost even for ffp plus wages gone, better than nothing I guess.

• Thanks 1