Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

8 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

I think is more the facts than anything else:

Torres: Is on £100,000 per week, Barcelona payed about £50mill for him, reported willing to sell for around £35mill

Felix: Is on £250,000 per week, Atlético Madrid payed about £110 mill for him, reported it would cost £20mill to loan him for a season, to buy about £70mill

Looking at those number, it means we should be able to afford Torres if we really want him. Felix is more likely to sign for us than Mbappé, but that is the only positive I can think of when it comes to signing Felix. Yes, things can change, Felix could agree to half his salary and Atletico Madrid could half their asking price, but not very likely. If that happened, I would expect more clubs to be interested, meaning we would lose out anyway.

Are you sure F.Torres is on £100k per week? If you google it you can see it’s anywhere between £60k-£250k per week, with the average just under £200k per week looking at the usual sites.

3 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Emery: You have to be ready for (another) transfer and to add if it is good for us.

You: "Sounds like we're done"

Most likely he is telling other clubs, that we are done, unless we get a bargain.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

"Close to completing" = one more top drawer signing, then potential squad depth, minor signings if sales allow

That was pretty much my reading of it too.  The optimistic side of me is also thinking that it suggests that we're close to completing the deal for that player.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

In a perfect world yes. But maybe he is impressed wirh Cam Aaron and Jaden and wants to give them a shot. Currently we can cover the following postions with what we have 

Striker     Ollie Cam Duran Diaby 

Left Wing   JJ  Diaby Bailey AJ  Jaden Coutinho

Right wing  Diaby Bailey McGinn Jaden AJ 

No 10  Buendia Tielemans Coutho  McGinn Jaden AJ 

I agree i would like another high quality player up front. BUT we are stronger there than i realised, albeit with lots of players with potential. 

We need three players to be getting around 10 goals and 10 assists next season if we want to compete with the top 6 (as borne out by how many fewer goals we scored than them last season - with exception of Man Utd).  I really don't see 3 players in our current squad who will "guarantee" 15+ goal contributions next season.  Ollie and Diaby.  Ramsey probably best of the rest.  Putting that much pressure on Archer is (I think) too much.  I'd like us to be giving him a chance and basically using every goal / assist and every minute that we can "rest" Ollie as a bonus rather than a necessity.  One other forward player gives us real options and balance up top, dramatically reduces the risk if either Ollie or Diaby get injured and allows us to integrate the likes of Archer with much less pressure on them.

1 hour ago, HalfTimePost said:

Emery: You have to be ready for (another) transfer and to add if it is good for us.

You: "Sounds like we're done"

I’m somewhere between the two of you - I read it as we have signed our three targets, great work, now we will keep an eye out and see if the right opportunity comes up to improve elsewhere.

I like that Emery has been clear he wants a small squad and the players have echoed him - nice and clear that he isn’t sitting there demanding more players.

6 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

No matter which way was reported, I would believe Ornstein. Most reliable guy in transfer news atm. Villa also didn't report it as the new record transfer fee fwiw

I said a couple of weeks back that for some clubs / owners "smashing" their transfer record is almost a publicity stunt used to show that the financial backing is in place.  Indeed sometimes it almost feels like a club / owner is more interested in breaking the record than they are in the player they have signed.  Maybe the message will shift over the coming days - but it just doesn't strike me as the way that the owners, Heck, Monchi and Emery work.  They're just interested in getting the right players in for the right price.  If that price is a bargain / free transfer then great, if that price is a transfer record then so what.  The messaging will be about the player and what they add rather than any fee that is / isn't paid.  So I'm not sure that I would take the reports from Villa as any indication as to whether the transfer record was broken or not.  I also do think that they're happy to keep people guessing on the fee as clubs won't be able to "estimate" how much more money we have available to spend this window and / or use it as "precedence" on other deals.  I still think we are making progress on one other attacking player.

• Like 2

I think it's clear we need to now focus on the outgoings. IF they aren't moved on before we make another signing we'll be in a bad FFP place and other clubs will know we're desperate to sell to get under that. So I think the order is right, sell players now and buy in August if we can

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think it's clear we need to now focus on the outgoings. IF they aren't moved on before we make another signing we'll be in a bad FFP place and other clubs will know we're desperate to sell to get under that. So I think the order is right, sell players now and buy in August if we can

I think if we can sell dendonker for 12m what we paid for him at least then that would do us well.

Dont think we will get much for traore or sanson sadly. Chambers will might make a lil profit on as he was a free signing. 

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think if we can sell dendonker for 12m what we paid for him at least then that would do us well.

Dont think we will get much for traore or sanson sadly. Chambers will might make a lil profit on as he was a free signing. 

I think Davis, Hause, Sanson, Traore are the priorities to move on for fees or another Loan for Hause. This basically brings in some income and gets rid of the wages/amortisation from the costs side. This can free up financial space.

Chambers is a very versatile player and I'm thinking maybe he's kept around unless the right bid comes in. Dendonker if sold leaves a gap in the team I feel. 

Just now, CVByrne said:

I think Davis, Hause, Sanson, Traore are the priorities to move on for fees or another Loan for Hause. This basically brings in some income and gets rid of the wages/amortisation from the costs side. This can free up financial space.

Chambers is a very versatile player and I'm thinking maybe he's kept around unless the right bid comes in. Dendonker if sold leaves a gap in the team I feel. 

Oh yea forgot about those two. Clearly davis is not in the plans as he didnt make the squad and hause is nit good enough so he will be sold off for peanuts id imagine or loaned

8 hours ago, AshVilla said:

I still think we need a different option up top.

Felix, Johnson or Torres would fit the bill. I think if we move on players and open up the financial headroom I'd love Felix on Loan.

We always wanted a winger and a forward.

I still think we’ll see at least one more through the door before the end of the window.

If we can sell a few players our net spend will actually be pretty low for this window, so there should be room to manoeuvre if we can get the player(s) that Emery wants.

1 hour ago, allani said:

I said a couple of weeks back that for some clubs / owners "smashing" their transfer record is almost a publicity stunt used to show that the financial backing is in place.  Indeed sometimes it almost feels like a club / owner is more interested in breaking the record than they are in the player they have signed.  Maybe the message will shift over the coming days - but it just doesn't strike me as the way that the owners, Heck, Monchi and Emery work.  They're just interested in getting the right players in for the right price.  If that price is a bargain / free transfer then great, if that price is a transfer record then so what.  The messaging will be about the player and what they add rather than any fee that is / isn't paid.  So I'm not sure that I would take the reports from Villa as any indication as to whether the transfer record was broken or not.  I also do think that they're happy to keep people guessing on the fee as clubs won't be able to "estimate" how much more money we have available to spend this window and / or use it as "precedence" on other deals.  I still think we are making progress on one other attacking player.

You’re not wrong on your general point but I don’t believe the club (including these owners) have ever made an actual record signing and not announced it as such. See Buendia as a recent example of them doing that.

Edited by Adam2003

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

Will we… surely not?

Really happy with our business so far & I think will get 1 more in maybe 2 & I think it will be towards the ends of window I think there are offers out there for maybe a striker or someone who can play anywhere along the front line, but I think those options ate keeping there options open, maybe waiting for a champions league club to come etc but so far very excited with the 3 we've got in we look very strong defensively & in midfield, maybe a rightback but we know Konsa can play there comfortably, definitely need at least 1 more up front, we do have Watkins, Bailey, Diaby, Beundia, coutinho, Archer & at a push Mcginn & Ramsey can play further forward. I've been glued to the transfer threads but now I'm going to chill & enjoy the Summer series & Lazio & Valencia. Just over the moon regards the brilliant business done so far & you just know with Emery & Monchi who ever comes in next will be a baller.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Frodo said:

Really happy with our business so far & I think will get 1 more in maybe 2 & I think it will be towards the ends of window I think there are offers out there for maybe a striker or someone who can play anywhere along the front line, but I think those options ate keeping there options open, maybe waiting for a champions league club to come etc but so far very excited with the 3 we've got in we look very strong defensively & in midfield, maybe a rightback but we know Konsa can play there comfortably, definitely need at least 1 more up front, we do have Watkins, Bailey, Diaby, Beundia, coutinho, Archer & at a push Mcginn & Ramsey can play further forward. I've been glued to the transfer threads but now I'm going to chill & enjoy the Summer series & Lazio & Valencia. Just over the moon regards the brilliant business done so far & you just know with Emery & Monchi who ever comes in next will be a baller.

Yeah, it’s nice to have the “distraction” of watching some games now and seeing the squad in action… hopefully the noise and frustration/impatience regarding transfer activity will die down (some people are never happy).

There’s no major hurry to bring in more players, further deals can be completed with time and at the right moment, maybe the more difficult ones to negotiate too. It’s possible we’ll be more focussed on further outgoings for a bit.

Or a big signing appears out of the blue 😆

But, we can just look forward to watching the team, to the new season and be pleasantly surprised by any further additions…

It’s gonna be fun.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1