Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

Just got to see if big phil goes, if he does for what we paid or so, it will be a great window financially with us also getting in players the manager wants.

Ok yes another forward player and back up keeper would have been perfect but why waste money on half meh signings to pad things out.

What we have kept will be used, it's been a long time since we were in that situation.

Ok hause being released would be the cherry on the cake, surprised an Arab club doesn't come in for him for a couple million.

Edited by brummybloke
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

We're smart, and becoming a well run football club.

Maybe so, but I get a sense that we are less capable of spending (when needed) than some other clubs, irrespective of their behaviour. 

Edited by Tubby
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Re concerns about a Left Sided Attacker. Yeah... One now may have been cherry on top.

But again, JJ is coming back, and if Cash can play as a right winger, Moreno can eat the Left Wing for breakfast if needed.

I think we'll be fine.

Yep… Moreno and JJ will cover it… and will look good while they do too!

Bailey and Diaby can play there too…

Zaniolo and Berty… RW or SS

we have a nice selection of attacking players… Ollie should thrive, he has a great “support act”…

1 minute ago, brummybloke said:

Just got to see if big phil goes, if he does for what we paid or so, it will be a great window financially with us also getting in players the manager wants.

Ok yes another forward player and back up keeper would have been perfect but why waste money on half meh signings to pad things out.

What we have kept will be used, it's been a long time since we were in that situation.

Ok hause being released would be the cherry on the cake, surprised an Arab club doesn't come in for him for a couple million.

It isn’t their vibe. They want households names. Just on that though, the Saudi team that has 11 Hause ability players rather than 10 poor players + Neymar wins that league. I don’t really get why they aren’t signing more bang average PL players

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spoony said:

the Saudi team that has 11 Hause ability players rather than 10 poor players + Neymar wins that league. I don’t really get why they aren’t signing more bang average PL players

Vanity.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Tubby said:

Maybe so, but I get a sense that we are less capable of spending (when needed) than some other clubs, irrespective of their behaviour. 

I don't think there is one player outside the traditional and new  " Top 4 " ( Chuck in Chelsea and Newcastle ) that was signed in this window, which we could not have matched fees and wages for if we WANTED to.

I don't think some realise the amount of conditions which have to come together to sign players, which fit into your system, ethos and target agenda etc.

It's not all about " spending " figures.

It also comes down to need and timing, some clubs NEED to spend more money than us.

Other clubs would have loved to get some of the players we have.

To add, shifting dross we've piled up over the years as well as some academy players are all a part of the process for the next phase imo.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Tubby said:

One question. Are we financially constrained or just frugal?

We have quite a good first 18 or so. We'd likely have to spend a significant chunk of cash on a player to upgrade and the players we would be targeting may not want to join us without the prospect of Champions League or even Europa League football. 

Take Felix for instance. His attitude is probably not uncommon among football players (though they'd have better representation so it wouldn't get leaked).

Think about how much Newcastle paid for Isak for instance or Gordon. Brennan Johnson cost 40 million and he wouldn't even be first winger off the bench for us when we are fully fit imo (probably would be zaniolo). 

If that's the case it's better to keep the powder dry for if we qualify for champions league next year. Look at Newcastle, they bought Tonali, Barnes and Livramento for a net spend of 100 million. They couldn't pursue better depth elsewhere really because they didn't have the financial flexibility from the previous 2 seasons of spending. 300 million net spend the previous 2 seasons and even with CL they don't have the cash to get in a 4th premier league starter quality player. 

35 net spend this year, 50 last year for us. We could obviously spend more. We spent 260 mil our first 2 seasons in the prem. But it's not worth paying over the odds to get in players we don't need. If you go by that sort of logic we could have over 200 million to spend if we make the champions league next year with minimal departures. Say that's 2-3 first teamers and then upgrading our 19-22 men. 

ETA: If you go by those ffp accounts on twitter they reckon we had 160 mil in net spend this year to play with (ofc amortised). We'd have 125 mil for next year plus whatever we could spend if we maxed out our budget this year. 

Edited by MotoMkali
  • Like 1

Hard to pick our best side really… and I think some players will improve and possibly surpass others…

Unai has options and will tinker…

Maybe, eventually, something like this…

Watkins     Zaniolo

McGinn/JJ   Luiz        Kamara        Diaby

Moreno       Pau/Lenglet    Carlos   Konsa 

Martinez

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Hard to pick our best side really… and I think some players will improve and possibly surpass others…

Watkins     Zaniolo

Martinez

Just imagine what our team and bench would look like if we had Mings and Buendia fit as well 🤦🏿‍♂️

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Watkins     Zaniolo

Martinez

tbh, i think that is absolutely spot on.

remember last season when we said that with Moreno bombing down that left hand side and causing chaos, that we tended to look a little inert down the right hand side?......

Now we might have Diaby and Zaniolo tearing up that right side / right inside area.

yikes.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Watkins     Zaniolo

Martinez

If Zaniolo stays fit, I think that'll be the strongest line-up, the formation just being more fluid. Torres will be in over Lenglet, his passing and vision is outrageous for a CB. 

I think Konsa and Cash will interchange along with Konsa and Carlos. When Cash is in, Diego will get a rest, Ezri moving over to CB. Occasionally giving Ezri the break with Cash and Carlos playing together. Plus Chambers in reserve is crazy. 

We're well equipped to compete/win beyond league games. 

Edited by Wezbid
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I think people are sleeping on the Zaniolo signing… just got this feeling he’s going to be special and become a real hero here… underestimated…

Maybe he can be more of a hero for people like me than Carbone was 🇮🇹🤌

Carbone stood out in an era where in England players still went out on the piss a lot, where players had grown up playing 11 v 11 from a young age and results, kick and rush, physicality were all prized above being a technically decent footballer. Zaniolo is different class to 90% of the modern british top flight and if he fulfils his potential then you could name the players on the fingers of one hand that were better than him in this league. Still a big IF, but even at 75% of his potential he's a lot better than Benito Carbone. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

And Lenglet 😂

I don’t get the obsession some have with Iroegbunam. He’d most likely be out on loan or sold if he wasn’t injured. No where near ready for the first team squad based on his time at QPR last season.