Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

Maguire is far better than Chambers or Hause (who are both Championship standard and one of them if not both should be moved on IMO), anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves. Maguire is also a leader and good in both boxes as well as being a very good passer of the ball. But on the flip side he is very slow and risky in a high line - although I'd be very surprised if we play such a high line going forwards without Mings or pace in the backline and in a lower block Maguire would be decent. His wages are stupidly high though and I wouldn't want to be paying Maguire £190K a week so unless he's prepared to half his wages I think it won't happen.

I think people are too relaxed on the centre back situation given how we were torn apart by Newcastle. We could do with one more because any more injuries and we'd potentially be playing Chambers or Hause or moving Kamara out of position to play there and both scenarios are problematic. Priorities for the rest of the window in my opinion would be getting at least one more attacking player in (Zaniolo), a right back, and then a centre back for me. Acuna will likely replace Digne too which is fine in the short term but longer term we will need to bring in a younger left back. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Leeroy said:

Priorities for the rest of the window in my opinion would be getting at least one more attacking player in (Zaniolo), a right back, and then a centre back for me. Acuna will likely replace Digne too which is fine in the short term but longer term we will need to bring in a younger left back.

Well reports suggest Emery wants Zaniolo and one more attacking player.  Unknown about the rest of the positions aside from bringing in Acura.

9 hours ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

Torres, Konsa, Carlos, Chambers, Dendoncker, Kamara, Hause(long term injury) can all play centre back with no problems.

You don't think that there is enough quality there to cover two positions? Seriously? Our fifth choice backup, fifth choice, is a Belgian international who regularly plays that position for his country. Reality check. We do not need to replace Mings.

OK, let's look at it from a different angle. Only five of the players listed there are used to playing centre back as Dendoncker and Kamara are primarily holding midfielders and I think both have only played centre back in emergencies and usually in a back three. We also wouldn't want to move them from the holding role as then we'd have no feasible options there. So we will rule them out.

Of the five actual centre backs you have listed, one of them (Hause) was playing on loan in the Championship last season such was the huge interest in him from top level teams and he played three games because he was injured. He's also extremely clumsy on the ball and would not be at all a good fit in an Emery system. I'd be very surprised if he's still here on 1st September and disappointed he hasn't yet been moved on. Forget him scoring against Man Utd, that's the only highlight of his whole career. Everyone seems to wax lyrical about having Chambers as an option but the fact is he is also extremely slow, has barely played in the last few years, and I recall everyone sh*tting the bed when Mings got an injury before Man City away last season and Chambers had to play. Again not good enough for a top half team.

So that leaves us with three centre backs of a strong enough level, but even then there are problems. Konsa without Mings is an unknown, never seems to have played well without him. Torres is new to the league and lacks the physicality, although potentially our best centre back for sure. Diego Carlos was brilliant for Sevilla and has all the attributes, but is again an unknown because of that long term injury which may have affected his level. 

I think other positions need to be addressed too but saying centre back is fine is very naive IMO and to ignore it could be dangerous. II'd certainly be worried if our defence concedes on Sunday against an Everton team that score very few goals. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Well reports suggest Emery wants Zaniolo and one more attacking player.  Unknown about the rest of the positions aside from bringing in Acura.

No one really knows but I'd be surprised if a centre back wasn't at least being considered.

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

Maguire or not, Ty is back in 9 months, we aren’t spending over £30m on another centre back we don’t need 

Let alone one who played just 759 minutes of league football last season. 

• Like 1

I don't think Harry Maguire is the answer. He ticks some of the boxes being a leader, commanding respect as an international player, he is good in the air and should be capable of organising a defence. On the negative side, he lacks pace, along with confidence. Why did his move to West Ham breakdown too? Are his wage demands unrealistic and why would he want to stay at a club that doesn't want him, and where he will not play regularly unless it's all about the money? I still think we need someone else though, UE considered we needed four top central defenders and we are now down to three. We may want to play all three in some games and given the number of games that hopefully we will play, we need another top class option imo. 

21 minutes ago, John said:

I don't think Harry Maguire is the answer. He ticks some of the boxes being a leader, commanding respect as an international player, he is good in the air and should be capable of organising a defence. On the negative side, he lacks pace, along with confidence. Why did his move to West Ham breakdown too? Are his wage demands unrealistic and why would he want to stay at a club that doesn't want him, and where he will not play regularly unless it's all about the money? I still think we need someone else though, UE considered we needed four top central defenders and we are now down to three. We may want to play all three in some games and given the number of games that hopefully we will play, we need another top class option imo. 

The correct answer.  He wanted United to pay him off for the final years of his contract, as he'd be taking a pay cut going to West Ham.  West Ham got fed up of waiting and pulled out.

Maguire seems to believe he's a better footballer than he actually is, but if he was, United wouldn't be looking rid of him.  I couldn't think of a player more unsuited to Emeryball than Maguire, the fact it's even being discussed here is baffling.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, John said:

I think it fell through because Utd refused to pay him the difference in his earnings between his current contract and a new one with West Ham.  It seems unlikely he will get a permanent transfer anywhere on the same wages so maybe Utd would accept a loan.  We basically only need a body in to cover til Ty comes back.  Maguire looks mentally shot to me ever since his fight in Greece, whether that's irreversible or not I don't know, or whether a manager like Unai could sort him out.

• Like 1

I've looked at the stats, some youtube videos and past games, considered elements such as turf conditions and wind direction, and can honestly estimate that Ty would still beat Maguire in a footrace in his current state.

Maybe just need to reinforce his crutches a little, and give Maguire a head start to make it competitive 

3 hours ago, Leeroy said:

Maguire is far better than Chambers or Hause (who are both Championship standard and one of them if not both should be moved on IMO), anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves. Maguire is also a leader and good in both boxes as well as being a very good passer of the ball.

Hi Harry's mom

• Haha 1

Anybody know the story with Montiel and the charges held against him? We’ve been linked with him , not sure about this one should steer clear imo. Controversies aside Jesus Navas is keeping him out of the side.

4 hours ago, Leeroy said:

Maguire is far better than Chambers or Hause (who are both Championship standard and one of them if not both should be moved on IMO), anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves. Maguire is also a leader and good in both boxes as well as being a very good passer of the ball. But on the flip side he is very slow and risky in a high line - although I'd be very surprised if we play such a high line going forwards without Mings or pace in the backline and in a lower block Maguire would be decent. His wages are stupidly high though and I wouldn't want to be paying Maguire £190K a week so unless he's prepared to half his wages I think it won't happen.

I think people are too relaxed on the centre back situation given how we were torn apart by Newcastle. We could do with one more because any more injuries and we'd potentially be playing Chambers or Hause or moving Kamara out of position to play there and both scenarios are problematic. Priorities for the rest of the window in my opinion would be getting at least one more attacking player in (Zaniolo), a right back, and then a centre back for me. Acuna will likely replace Digne too which is fine in the short term but longer term we will need to bring in a younger left back.