Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

3 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I have seen enough from people with better footballing knowledge than us really rate Adams, like really rate him, so you have to reassured that if Emery etc are targeting he fulfills a role they need better than what we’ve got? We would probably have said the same about Moreno before he arrived?

Re passing, in our system he only needs to make short passes to team mates within our system, we don’t need defence splitting through balls. His role would be specific: break up play, let Tielemans/Luiz/McGinn/Pau be the creatives.

Exactly, I was watching a video on ball playing CBs and Diaz was one where he only plays simple passes, but he is the base of the back 3 in possession and is supremely confident on the ball that he will wait or walk towards an opponent to fix them then release the pass to player close in space. Simple but he always shows for a pass so the ball can make it back to him and restart the play from the back. Adams could be a similar role, win ball play simple pass to Luiz or Torres or McGinn they'll progress us forward.

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Exactly, I was watching a video on ball playing CBs and Diaz was one where he only plays simple passes, but he is the base of the back 3 in possession and is supremely confident on the ball that he will wait or walk towards an opponent to fix them then release the pass to player close in space. Simple but he always shows for a pass so the ball can make it back to him and restart the play from the back. Adams could be a similar role, win ball play simple pass to Luiz or Torres or McGinn they'll progress us forward.

But we arguably already have donk for that

The thing with Adams for me is that he wouldn't be a starter and he wouldn't be a £10m upgrade on the reserve player we already have... So what's the point of him?

• Like 1

I am someone who can’t see where he would play, I.e. who he would replace in our midfield, but I guess it’s a different mindset now, building a squad of players with different skills for different opponents or phases of a game, using the bench, not just a set 11.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

The thing with Adams for me is that he wouldn't be a starter and he wouldn't be a £10m upgrade on the reserve player we already have... So what's the point of him?

But is it small percentages everywhere? His stats for breaking up play are some of the best in the division, like right up there, he is arguably a significant upgrade.

2 minutes ago, thunderball said:

But is it small percentages everywhere? His stats for breaking up play are some of the best in the division, like right up there, he is arguably a significant upgrade.

If he was starting... But I don't think he will

4 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Defensive stats are misleading. Players in teams at the bottom of the league have more defending to do, therefore will have better stats than players in the top teams. Adam’s defensive actions are better than Rodri’s. Who would you choose?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Not a single piece of information on this story has come anywhere except if you pay him money he'll tell you in a private chat. 🤣

Used to follow him over transfer window, but then i left twitter a couple of years ago.  I seem to remember he didn’t know much but had a couple of contacts in certain clubs that were mostly correct.  QPR and Burnley if I remember right, so might be truth in it.  

If we have a buy back, then its great deal for us

35 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I think Emery sees the higher pressing intensity he gets from Adams and his younger age. I assume he has a higher ceiling than Donk and thus will increase in value at Villa. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Not a single piece of information on this story has come anywhere except if you pay him money he'll tell you in a private chat. 🤣

Bit like Club Call. 

My parents weren't big fans of the 'information service' it offered to young footie nuts like me.

• Haha 4

49 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I am someone who can’t see where he would play, I.e. who he would replace in our midfield, but I guess it’s a different mindset now, building a squad of players with different skills for different opponents or phases of a game, using the bench, not just a set 11.

Yeah we need to just move in from thinking who someone replaces. PL will get 8 European places most seasons with on of the two extra CL places usually going to us. 

So we are a top eight side in spending, supporter base, owners wealth, coach, squad. So we will need a squad fit for competition on multiple fronts. 60 games a season.

Add to that they have changed the rules on stoppages.l this season. So games will be longer like 100mins+ nearly every game. Pressing intensity takes a lot of energy so we need a lot of midfielders and use the 5 subs rule often now we've a quality squad. 

It's why we need 4 CMs as good as eachother. We don't have that right now on Kamara side Donk is a drop off. I think getting Adams in is going to be a big help for us if we can get him. Hopefully Brighton sell Caciedo to Chelsea and they drop interest in Adams allowing us to sign him and move Donk on.

Fingers crossed 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Oh no Danny ings a player who got 19 goal contributions in 30 games worth of minutes for us. And then we moved on for not a financial fair play loss.

Bailey and Buendia haven't worked out perfectly yet. But there is no reason to believe they can't also be moderate successes here. Bailey could still be great if he can stay fit. 

Hell Buendia who I believe less in could easily be a 15 G+A guy in all comps this season, he probably should have had 11 this season if we finished the chances he created (his Goals + xA over his time here should be 19 in 48 games in the prem, that's about 13 Goal Contributions over 38 games). 

You claim we've not been well run in the transfer department. But since nswe came in - we've spent about 425 million pounds (excluding this window as we haven't seen the results of the players). Sounds like a lot sure.

But we've got McGinn, Identified Mings + then signed him, Luiz, Martinez, Watkins, Kamara and Konsa for that. Plus a number of completely serviceable prem players who are good enough for us. But those players I specifically mentioned if we sold them all we'd be looking at 450 million I reckon. 

I mean take wingers (Coutinho, Buendia, Bailey, Traore, El Ghazi, Trezegeut) for example our weakest bit of business overall for this period. 82 Goal contributions in the prem from 212 games worth of minutes. I think maybe the bigger question is essentially we have averaged about 18 million quid, on players who have played about 35 games on average for us. But their overall production has been at minimum solid if not amazing. You'd expect 11 or 12 GCs from each of that group over 28-30 games worth of minutes which is about the average for a starting winger. That's pretty good. 

No not saying our business is bad, it’s just a completely different model.

To compare ourselves with Brighton and say our business is better or worse is really hard to judge in the long term.

I think we would do well to implement our current strategy but also start part modelling the Brighton system, which I think we have started to do recently. Looking forward to the future youngster we bring through, starting with Duran. 

1 hour ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Bit like Club Call. 

My parents weren't big fans of the 'information service' it offered to young footie nuts like me.

You’ll understand if/when you become a parent yourself if you’re not already!

4 hours ago, duke313 said:

Defensive stats are misleading. Players in teams at the bottom of the league have more defending to do, therefore will have better stats than players in the top teams. Adam’s defensive actions are better than Rodri’s. Who would you choose?

very true..thats where the "eye test" comes in.

Interesting to see what will happen to

Tim (surely another loan)
Davies (surely a sale)
Hause (pay him off?)

Must be a few others we would loan out

I wouldn't sell A Ramsey, there is no reason to think he can't be as good as his brother - who needed a run in the team to prove his class.

Edited by VillanousOne