Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

1 hour ago, jacketspuds said:

The optimist in me suggests that it’s taking longer than expected because it’s a top tier signing.

The realist in me suggests that it’s all a load of bollocks.

TBH I would be happy if our business was over, we look ready to go.

• Like 2

I'm surprised that people are reading so much into that podcast thing, I watched the relevant clip and to me it  just looked like an host being nice to someone who had bothered to send his show a message, a way of thanking him for his information and being polite about it.

We probably will sign one or more players depening on who leaves, but it's not dependent on whether someone sending a message to a podcast was right or wrong.

I still expect us to sign another front man. Not necessarily an out and out striker, but a mobile front three player with an eye for goal.

Archer is a dangerous 'penalty box player' but the rest of his game isn't sufficient to earn a first eleven place yet (imo).

Duran is a prospect but he's no where ready for regular first eleven duties. Bailey or Diaby may be able to fit in up front if Watkins is injured, but it would change the dynamic of the team without Watkins 'off the ball' work rate.

So we need another option.

Ferran Torres has made it clear in the last few days that he will not leave Barcelona even if they try and force him to.

Joao Felix has said very recently that he wants to go to Barcelona, and that he loved being at Chelsea for a few months because they were a "top club". With the greatest of respect to Villa I think that he wouldn't see us as a "top club" at this moment in time.

I'm surprised Jonathan David hasn't had more of a transfer buzz about him, but the 65 mil that his club reportedly want for him may be a reason for that.

Which leads me back to the player I keep banging on about Brennan Johnson. I think he could become a key part of our front three rotation very quickly and I'm sure we could get him. He might not be a popular choice on VT though judging by previous responses.

Any more names to add to a speculative list? 

44 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I still expect us to sign another front man.

…….

Mohammed Kudus. Heavily linked to Chelsea from Ajax (but not done yet) and can play anywhere across the front line. Think Ajax want about €40M for him. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

I still expect us to sign another front man. Not necessarily an out and out striker, but a mobile front three player with an eye for goal.

Archer is a dangerous 'penalty box player' but the rest of his game isn't sufficient to earn a first eleven place yet (imo).

Duran is a prospect but he's no where ready for regular first eleven duties. Bailey or Diaby may be able to fit in up front if Watkins is injured, but it would change the dynamic of the team without Watkins 'off the ball' work rate.

So we need another option.

Ferran Torres has made it clear in the last few days that he will not leave Barcelona even if they try and force him to.

Joao Felix has said very recently that he wants to go to Barcelona, and that he loved being at Chelsea for a few months because they were a "top club". With the greatest of respect to Villa I think that he wouldn't see us as a "top club" at this moment in time.

I'm surprised Jonathan David hasn't had more of a transfer buzz about him, but the 65 mil that his club reportedly want for him may be a reason for that.

Which leads me back to the player I keep banging on about Brennan Johnson. I think he could become a key part of our front three rotation very quickly and I'm sure we could get him. He might not be a popular choice on VT though judging by previous responses.

He plays on the right though.

I think we need someone that operates on the left. I’d go for Gouiri at OGC Nice or the dream would be Chiesa. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Awol said:

Mohammed Kudus. Heavily linked to Chelsea from Ajax (but not done yet) and can play anywhere across the front line. Think Ajax want about €40M for him. 

He’d be huge competition for Buendia and could cover AM/RW and up top if needed.

3 hours ago, useless said:

I'm surprised that people are reading so much into that podcast thing, I watched the relevant clip and to me it  just looked like an host being nice to someone who had bothered to send his show a message, a way of thanking him for his information and being polite about it.

We probably will sign one or more players depening on who leaves, but it's not dependent on whether someone sending a message to a podcast was right or wrong.

This is VillaTalk where flights are tracked, fingers are counted and dubious ITK is gospel 😉

Edited by villan95
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, burchy said:

He plays on the right though.

I think we need someone that operates on the left. I’d go for Gouiri at OGC Nice or the dream would be Chiesa. 

Gouiri looks a decent player from his stats and as you say he's played on the left, but he's right footed the same as Johnson. Brennan is genuinely two footed with a very good left foot, and he has a season of Premier League football under his belt.

Kudus also looks a very good player but I'm less confident about players from the Dutch league because of the absence of really strong opposition on a match by match basis.

Chiesa's form since his injury has been concerning, but at his best he's superb.

Would hope with us being linked with Marcos Leonardo from santos we are going in for him, as Roma haven’t agreed a fee with them still, offered €11 million and €7mil in bonuses, he looks a class striker  

• Thanks 1

Villa have done fantastic business this window.  If you include the kids plus Carlos (who is like a new signing due to his injury), we basically have brought in about 6 new players.  Which is a big number for our depth

Pau- CB, near world class, likely 1st11 

Tielemens- CM, top class, challenge 1st11

Diaby- RW/WF, top class, likely 1st11

Carlos- CB, very good player, likely 1st11 for cups/Euro matches, rotation

Philogene- RW/LW, good youth player, likely player for cups/Euro matches, rotation

Archer- ST, good youth player, likely player for cups/Euro matches, rotation

We have excellent competition for places now at nearly all positions, which is raising the level of play for everyone.  Its a beautiful thing to see.  Not to mention we have gone this entire preseason without JJ and Moreno!  If Villa don't sign any more players- the additions listed above would likely be enough to see us through barring massive injuries.  Ideally I'd still like us to bring in another WF type (like a Ferran Torres) to compete with Watkins/Archer etc.  UTV

Edited by ejs1111
  • Like 3