Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

24 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Yeah?  Then why are the in the middle of a financial mess right now?  They're trying to sell anyone and everyone in the team to try to balance their books.  5 years from now they'll be yet another cautionary tale.  

image.png.f4e8e8432d3e6f3c9cf025caab596b13.png

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TomC said:

Sorry, I disagree with you on this one. Keeping our best players increases our chance of getting into the CL, which would raise our FFP ceiling and more than make up for selling one of them.

Whilst I agree with that sentiment, but that is still a "if we make the CL"... we will still have to comply with ffp. It's just something we have to keep in mind, as we are not going to have the youth prospects to sell for decent wedges of cash like Manchester City have done in the last year.

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

Exactly...  Every club that does this "sell one of our best players and replace him with a potential bargain" strategy like Leicester, Southampton, Swansea, Bournemouth, etc.  all eventually sell all their best players and are left with an aging mediocre squad on massive wages while circling the drain toward relegation.  Good clubs keep hold of their best players and only sell up when they absolutely have to.  

You could also say that a club like Everton did the exact opposite, kept buying players (high reputation but might not be that good as we know) and not selling them & are facing financial difficulties for the last year. Also, I can't really remember a good club that kept their best players & ended up being super successful... 

12 hours ago, Steero113 said:

Just to be clear, you're stating in public that you'd start recently relegated, struggling to get a move from Championship James Ward Prowse over our current SPoS and PPoS, recent Arsenal and Spurs target and Brazilian international Douglas Luiz?

With respect being a member of a team that has been relegated doesn’t make you a bad player. Villa were relegated with Grealish in the side.

Secondly, I’d be very interested to find out how you know Prowse is currently struggling to get get a move back to the Premiership?

If Prowse is indeed a much inferior player to Luiz then why were Villa trying to buy him last season?

Yes it was rumoured Arsenal we’re trying to buy Luiz last season and if rumours are correct the only reason why Villa didn’t sell him was they couldn’t find a replacement so close to the end of the window.

Playing for any national side, even Brazil, doesn’t guarantee quality. Wesley played for Brazil ffs!!

4 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

Whilst I agree with that sentiment, but that is still a "if we make the CL"... we will still have to comply with ffp. It's just something we have to keep in mind, as we are not going to have the youth prospects to sell for decent wedges of cash like Manchester City have done in the last year.

You could also say that a club like Everton did the exact opposite, kept buying players (high reputation but might not be that good as we know) and not selling them & are facing financial difficulties for the last year. Also, I can't really remember a good club that kept their best players & ended up being super successful... 

Making the CL is an if...but we have to go for it. That's the club's goal at this point. If we don't make it and we have to sell next year, sell next year. No reason to sell this year and be pessimistic.

That said, I agree that we don't want to be financially reckless. We all know why Leeds spent 10+ years out of the PL. I'd rather have Deadly Doug stinginess than what they did. But I don't think that our current situation is reckless.

• Like 1

Sorry, guys, but I'm not sure we need a new striker. I really don't. I wouldn't have said that before seeing Diaby last night. He's effectively able to cover part of the striker role and still float and weave outside on the right. It takes the load off Ollie, too. And with Jaden Philogene in the mix, we have at least three forwards who can score goals and a creative, canny midfield. I think Cam will come around, too. Indeed, we're almost overloaded with forwards. Could Jaden hack it against top PL opposition? It's perfectly obvious he can rise to the challenge. We drew fairly easily against Newcastle, and cruised past Fulham, who aren't shit (finished 10th, right?). 

A "wing-backy," Moreno-style right back and a stronger second keeper are all I think we need, provided there are no big injuries, but these, personally, seem vital to me. I'm way more of a fan of Mattie than many on VT, but we need options at RB.

Maybe be beyond us now, but Jeremie Frimpong would be my first choice for Emeryball, hands down.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Sorry, guys, but I'm not sure we need a new striker. I really don't. I wouldn't have said that before seeing Diaby last night. He's effectively able to cover part of the striker role and still float and weave outside on the right. It takes the load off Ollie, too. And with Jaden Philogene in the mix, we have at least three forwards who can score goals and a creative, canny midfield. I think Cam will come around, too. Indeed, we're almost overloaded with forwards. Could Jaden hack it against top PL opposition? It's perfectly obvious he can rise to the challenge. We drew fairly easily against Newcastle, and cruised past Fulham, who aren't shit (finished 10th, right?). 

A "wing-backy," Moreno-style right back and a stronger second keeper are all I think we need, provided there are no big injuries, but these, personally, seem vital to me. I'm way more of a fan of Mattie than many on VT, but we need options at RB.

Maybe be beyond us now, but Jeremie Frimpong would be my first choice for Emeryball, hands down.

Can’t agree, I really think all those players need a striker to play off.  Watkins is our only experienced striker.  We need a striker option for many reasons I’ve outlined before, I think it’s a problem to rely on Cam and Duran when they are untested at the level we need and while giving them good minutes is a definite, thinking about relying on them if needed is not a good idea.  They are our future of course but still need time.  The others are quality support players but not players to lead the line imo.  We need another option up top.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, StanBalaban said:

Not saying you're wrong, but at his age Harry Kane was playing for Norwich and Jack Grealish at Notts County. 

I get you, but Jack was at Villa in the first team at 20. Jack was at Notts County at 18.

Defenders take longer to mature, as they need experience to improve. So a 20 year old right back with a full season in liga 2 and being the best rb in that league, points to a lot of potential. Maybe sign him then loan him out to a lower half team in la liga for a season and get him an English teacher would make sense. They are saying they want 8 mill for him. Do it, it's cheap (probably get him for 6 mill). Speculate to accumulate!

11 hours ago, duke313 said:

Like every Spanish team then?

Seems strange as last season they got 70 odd million for selling Carlos and his cdm partner Kounde. 

They have an aging squad and need to bring in younger players. Probably selling the older higher wage players is needed to have funds to reinvigorate the squad.

11 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

I think Everton's issue was more that (a) they sold good players and replaced them with expensive players who weren't as good, so struggled and so they couldn't then sell them without making a loss, (b) their recruitment was a bit like ours a few seasons back with Sherwood - badly co-ordinated so that they ended up with a hugely unbalanced team and (c) they took a gamble on only having 1 "proper" goalscorer and have narrowly avoided paying the price when he's been hit with a series of injuries.  Everton still have some very good players on their books but as a team they have no balance and are all over the place.  The absolute epitomy of a team that is weaker than the sum of its parts. 

Edited by allani

If we are to really go for it and if FFP allows then we certainly need to upgrade Bailey, provide competition for Cash and back-up for Martinez. Surely we can do that through clearing out surplus players - shifting those players seems to be the priority at the moment too.

• Like 2

Oh for prime Benteke in this Unai side. We'd easily get top four. I like Ollie but want my main focal point of a striker to be brutal. To get where we want to get them we definitely need to upgrade that department.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stewiek2 said:

Oh for prime Benteke in this Unai side. We'd easily get top four. I like Ollie but want my main focal point of a striker to be brutal. To get where we want to get them we definitely need to upgrade that department.

Ohhhh you are in for it today, this opinion will not be tolerated by some as we’ve seen before.  Good luck for the rest of the day…

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Ohhhh you are in for it today, this opinion will not be tolerated by some as we’ve seen before.  Good luck for the rest of the day…

I agree with him, but it is for another summer

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

Could argue Benteke wouldn't work in current system. This squad can get top 4

7 minutes ago, Awol said:

Based on nothing but the rumours I could see us getting Thiago Almada in, if a squad space appears. Feels like an Emery/Monchi type signing.

Not seen many rumours recently, but Almada would be an excellent signing.

6 minutes ago, paul514 said:

I agree with him, but it is for another summer

For me it’s when the right player is available at the right price.  Doesn’t matter whether this summer, January, next summer or whenever.  If not this summer, which it seems it isn’t, we do need another option in the interim to support this season in the strikers position.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Could argue Benteke wouldn't work in current system. This squad can get top 4

Prime Benteke would work in any system, he was a monster. Never reproduced the form he showed for us anywhere else, we were down without him…

He did suffer a bad injury IIRC that curtailed him…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 3

Just now, Jas10 said:

Prime Benteke would work in any system, he was a monster. Never reproduced the form he showed for us anywhere else, we were down without him…

Big target man brutal effective in front of goal did nothing off the ball like Emery wants so I disagree. Same reason nonsense Lukaku rumours were nonsense

• Haha 1