Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

46 minutes ago, striker said:

How do you know Villa’s budget for this window?

I don't obviously. I'm just using a degree of common sense in that we have spent a fair amount in wages and transfer fees and we can't be dropping 70/80 million on a striker that would be the cost to get a better striker.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I don't obviously. I'm just using a degree of common sense in that we have spent a fair amount in wages and transfer fees and we can't be dropping 70/80 million on a striker that would be the cost to get a better striker.

Why not?

Yes we’ve spent £70m so far, we are likely to sell a bunch of players so let’s say £20m.  

FFP increased by £14m per annum from the £70m, will be minimally reduced by sales if at all.  

Biggest impact will be new wages so getting more players off the books through sales or loans would be good.  

None of this suggests we couldn’t spend big on a striker.  

I don’t think we’ll spend big on a striker/forward but it wouldn’t surprise me either.  

So common sense imo my opinion says that we could, we might but we might not but nothing says we can’t.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Condimentalist said:

Agreed - second striker who also runs out wide, like Bailey when he plays there. 

Sounds like defensive workrate isn't his strong point so we'd be playing a pretty attacking / open way if it was him wide + another up top. 

Its not for many players of his ilk.......You reel off some of the greats, who wasn't renowned for defensive prowess.

If he occupies the opposition by doing what, we hope he can do....That should be sufficient.

attack being the best form of defence ( tongue somewhat in cheek)

10 minutes ago, nick76 said:

The bigger problem is finding one, methinks. The market is tiny and pricey and so many other clubs seem to be desperate for one, too, especially in the £40m-£60m range -- eg, Man United. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, zab6359 said:

Saw that really odd link considering how stacked we are at DM. We’re not paying €30m for a squad player.

Not saying there's any truth to this rumour, but we have to get used to the idea of building a multi-dimensional squad where there are numerous options available to Unai.

As Villa fans, we're so conditioned to having a predictable starting XI, with the rest of the squad available to cover injuries and suspensions.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yes we’ve spent £70m so far, we are likely to sell a bunch of players so let’s say £20m.  

FFP increased by £14m per annum from the £70m, will be minimally reduced by sales if at all.  

Biggest impact will be new wages so getting more players off the books through sales or loans would be good.  

I like to look at it as we've spent £80m/4 years on transfer fees. So £20m increase. 

Wages have gone up by £10m per season with Pau, Tielemans and Diaby in, and 4 players out (inc on loan). 

So that's a £30m increase for the season so far.   

Europe should add £20m to our turnover if we can go far in the competition which helps partly offset. 

No idea what that means though because we don't know how close or far to FFP we were last season.

Edited by ender4
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

Not saying there's any truth to this rumour, but we have to get used to the idea of building a multi-dimensional squad where there are numerous options available to Unai.

As Villa fans, we're so conditioned to having a predictable starting XI, with the rest of the squad available to cover injuries and suspensions.

In terms of midfield, we have Luiz, McGinn, Tielemans and Ramsey in CM, for DM we have Kamara, Dendocnker and Chambers as backup.  If Dendoncker leaves we're suddenly looking quite short at DM, and with Kamara's injury record we could do with another quality DM like Amrabat.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

The bigger problem is finding one, methinks. The market is tiny and pricey and so many other clubs seem to be desperate for one, too, especially in the £40m-£60m range -- eg, Man United. 

Yeah but we have Monchi 😉

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Farlz said:

The striker market is awful. I'm gonna say there's absolutely no chance we go near it. 

I agree. It almost presents more of a threat as opposed to an opportunity. There’s always the chance that a desperate club, ie Man U or Chelsea, offer us something very difficult to turn down for Ollie. With only 2 years left on his contract, the club would maybe be forced to consider selling with very little prospect of finding an adequate replacement. Unlikely scenario admittedly but not impossible.

1 minute ago, M_Afro said:

I agree. It almost presents more of a threat as opposed to an opportunity. There’s always the chance that a desperate club, ie Man U or Chelsea, offer us something very difficult to turn down for Ollie. With only 2 years left on his contract, the club would maybe be forced to consider selling with very little prospect of finding an adequate replacement. Unlikely scenario admittedly but not impossible.

Yes. Hoping we can tie Ollie down sooner rather than later. 

[Insert Kenneth gif]

• Like 1

Say we are in for a new back up GK do people think we'll go for a senior cheaper one like say Kasper Schmeichel (example) or do we go for a young likely more expensive one like Giorgi Mamardashvili (example).

Arijanet Muric might have been an interesting target had Burnley not gotten promoted but even then I guess he'd have wanted regular football.

Edited by sne

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Why not?

I don’t think we’ll spend big on a striker/forward but it wouldn’t surprise me either.  

So common sense imo my opinion says that we could, we might but we might not but nothing says we can’t.

A transfer budget of £100 - 120m for a Premier league team isn't unusual. As out net spend hasn't been massive over the last 3 seasons either, I expect we have a good 30-50m available if need be. 

10 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

A transfer budget of £100 - 120m for a Premier league team isn't unusual. As out net spend hasn't been massive over the last 3 seasons either, I expect we have a good 30-50m available if need be. 

It's not unusual for the teams who play in Europe every year and have bigger revenues. I don't think we'll have that sort of headroom with FFP - and we don't want to push ourselves to the limit with that either otherwise it will give us limited headroom in future and could even force an unwanted sale. 

We definitely need a back up GK but beyond that I don't think we'll be making too many transfers until we've had a few out of the door. Assuming we can complete a few sales I would think at a push we might have 20-30m perhaps for a RB and another forward/winger. 

19 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

What? Excluding the Sky 6 teams which have revenue double or triple what Villa have… which teams spend £100m each summer?  My guess is none. 

1 minute ago, Condimentalist said:

Assuming we can complete a few sales I would think at a push we might have 20-30m perhaps for a RB and another forward/winger. 

I’d be very surprised if that’s all we have. It’s a different story about whether we’ll spend it but we have a lot more headroom than that.

31 minutes ago, sne said:

Say we are in for a new back up GK do people think we'll go for a senior cheaper one like say Kasper Schmeichel (example) or do we go for a young likely more expensive one like Giorgi Mamardashvili (example).

Arijanet Muric might have been an interesting target had Burnley not gotten promoted but even then I guess he'd have wanted regular football.

Ideal would be young, inexperienced and super talented for my money, someone who can learn the trade for a few years and step up when Martinez goes, he's 31 now isn't he?

On Amrabat, he's strong, quick, tidy feet and box to box, good player but I don't see how he fits in unless we are selling a couple of midfielders. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, sne said:

Why have Burnley spent 17m on a keeper if they have this guy?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Why not?

Luckily, no one said we can't. Just we won't.

Definitely with @Hank Scorpio that we won't be spending £50m+ on a striker as good or better than Watkins.

• Like 1