Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

5 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The people who had already half decided he was a mercenary 😂.

Fair play lad!

Count Unai blows a Sherwood facial or Gerrard stare down out the water!

spacer.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

I suspect pretty soon we will be linked to a No.10 type, maybe one that hasn't been talked about yet or hardly, and then within a week we will sign that player, as happened with Diaby and Tielemans, and pretty much Pau, although that one took a little longer as he was en su luna de miel with his wife Paula.

Also I notice we've been linked to a lot of attacking midfielders of a similar profile, Xavi Simons, Arda Guler, De Ketelaere, and today Thiago Almada, and previously there had been Kang-in, so maybe a young attacking playmaker midfielder is something we're looking at

I doubt that, we are pretty well stacked for that 10 role with Emi B, Coutinho and even McGinn able to slot in it's not a high priority, once we finally get Diaby signed I think we'll see us chasing a winger likely another drawn out chase.  

1 minute ago, zab6359 said:

I doubt that, we are pretty well stacked for that 10 role with Emi B, Coutinho and even McGinn able to slot in it's not a high priority, once we finally get Diaby signed I think we'll see us chasing a winger likely another drawn out chase.  

Also tielemans can totally play there too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the_eristic said:

I live in Atlanta, so I see Almada every week. 20M would be nothing for a player of his potential and I'd be amazed if they let him go for so little during the Summer window unless his contract has a release clause. He's a one-man team many weeks and their season will pretty much be over without him. Miles beyond the players around him. He's very much a classic 10, great close control, drives forward with the ball and is hard to dispossess without fouling (not unlike someone we used to know), creative passer, excellent free kick taker, etc. Doesn't do much defensive work but he's not asked to (and Atlanta can never be bothered to defend anyway). I've been expecting him to go to Italy or Spain once the season has wrapped up, but if we have the chance for that money right now, the risk is worth it.

Surprised he went to atlanta tbh he was linked with utd and Leeds at the time

• Like 2

If the fee of roughly £35m is correct we’ve managed to get Tielemans, Pau Torres and Diaby for less than £70m.

Don’t care what anyone says, that’s incredible work by the club. 

If we can sell the likes of Traore, Sanson, Chambers, Hause, Davis and maybe even Coutinho, we’ll be in an excellent position to get a couple more big deals done this summer.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

If the fee of roughly £35m is correct we’ve managed to get Tielemans, Pau Torres and Diaby for less than £70m.

Don’t care what anyone says, that’s incredible work by the club. 

If we can sell the likes of Traore, Sanson, Chambers, Hause, Davis and maybe even Coutinho, we’ll be in an excellent position to get a couple more big deals done this summer.

I personally would keep Chambers as he’s a proper professional and doesn’t seem unhappy to be a squad player and has enough talent to help us out. And with Coutinho, if there is any manager that can get the best out of a once great player… it’s Don Unai! 

The three players we’ve signed so far are far beyond the level we’ve signed before. If I’d have been told we would sign all three of them, I probably would have laughed at you.  

Add a second choice right back and a reserve goalkeeper and I think we’re ready. 

With Archer having a good u21 tournament, the only downside is JJ’s injury. Overall, I feel strangely positive about our squad

Edited by KevinRichardsonsMoustache

23 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I personally would keep Chambers as he’s a proper professional and doesn’t seem unhappy to be a squad player and has enough talent to help us out. And with Coutinho, if there is any manager that can get the best out of a once great player… it’s Don Unai! 

If, and it’s a big if, Coutinho can stay fit then I totally agree.

I just can’t see him staying fit for any run of games this season, which isn’t great when we’re paying him £120k+ per week.

5 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

If, and it’s a big if, Coutinho can stay fit then I totally agree.

I just can’t see him staying fit for any run of games this season, which isn’t great when we’re paying him £120k+ per week.

Yeah that’s true. He is a huge injury risk, I wonder if he’s the kind of player where we limit is training and just give him some match minutes to try and keep him going? 

15 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

The three players we’ve signed so far are far beyond the level we’ve signed before. If I’d have been told we would sign all three of them, I probably would have laughed at you.  

Add a second choice right back and a reserve goalkeeper and I think we’re ready. 

With Archer having a good u21 tournament, the only downside is JJ’s injury. Overall, I feel strangely positive about our squad

I think we still need another attacking player, I still think we are light up there.  I think if we don’t get one we’ll still be ok but would feel a slight missed opportunity imo to have that full squad to attack the season.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, zab6359 said:

I think our "front 3" all need to be scoring at least 10 goals this season and probably assisting a similar number - so ideally close to 20 goal contributions each - if we really want to be challenging for higher positions in the league.  Ollie and Diaby look set to be able to achieve that - but it would be a massive ask from Buendia, Coutinho, McGinn or Tielemans to get anywhere near that type of number.  Ramsey is probably the closest we have to a player that could do that but I would be surprised if we push him into a more advanced role as he is better I think driving from slightly deeper and / or arriving from deep and getting himself into an unmarked position.

It is possibly a matter of semantics in terms of what is a "10" and what is a wide player / winger.  I mean a Ferran Torres type player would probably be classified as a wide player - but like Diaby can drift inside / play through the middle.  Whereas a Felix type would probably play more centrally - which wouldn't leave us short on the left as we generally look for our LB to provide width and Ollie's natural inclination is to drift slightly to the left at times (ps - I am not suggesting that we move Ollie to play wide-left - just that he tends to drift that way from the CF position).  We've been linked with plenty of players who could play either role (or both) and I think that will be our next priority position.  Whether that is more of an inside forward or a "10" - but either is more likely than an out and out winger / wide player.

Our starting defence and midfield look pretty balanced - so adding similar balance and options in the attacking third is critical.  Then we are down to adding depth - i.e. right back (either to start or to challenge Cash) and back-up goalkeeper.

• Thanks 1