Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

12 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

It’s funny how big money moves can completely stifle a young player’s development. I suppose it’s the weight of pressure and/or the lack of ‘drive’ because they’re set for life no matter what. 
Not saying Sancho is done or anything but his price tag and wages will discourage most from going for him, because the outlay doesn’t match the probable outcome.

Hasn’t Dougie given an interview recently in which he talks about how glad he was that the move to Arsenal didn’t go through because it he went on to have the best season of his career and it has been the right thing for him to stay put. He didn’t say that he wouldn’t want a big money move in the future but he recognised the value in not moving at the first opportunity.

• Like 1

—————Watkins—————
Felix—————————Diaby
—McGinn—Kamara—Luiz—

Would be a very decent front 6. Especially with Ramsey and Tielemans in there competing. 

I’d love Felix personally. 

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

It’s funny how big money moves can completely stifle a young player’s development. I suppose it’s the weight of pressure and/or the lack of ‘drive’ because they’re set for life no matter what. 
Not saying Sancho is done or anything but his price tag and wages will discourage most from going for him, because the outlay doesn’t match the probable outcome.

That's another issue for me i dont think he could cope with the expectations of our fans. History tells us those kind of characters struggle here

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

—————Watkins—————
Felix—————————Diaby
—McGinn—Kamara—Luiz—

Would be a very decent front 6. Especially with Ramsey and Tielemans in there competing. 

I’m terms of ability he seems exactly what we need, a clear step up in quality from Buendia for example. 

I get the concerns around his attitude and seeming reluctance to come here. But from the player’s perspective you can’t blame him for wanting to play at highest level possible. I can’t imagine Bruno was desperate to get himself to a Newcastle side in bottom half of PL but sometimes you take your best option available. Maybe….maybe this time we could be that for Felix. 

• Like 1

If Felix agent has told him this summer that Villa was in the bag but he should wait to see if PSG come in, he’s going to do that. No quotes from the player at any point, just the usual stirring in the click bait end of football journalism. 

It’s pretty clear he’s a level above the sort of player we’ve been able to sign before, and has potential to be in the Grealish bracket if he reaches his full potential. 

For that reason it’s still a pretty long shot imo, but he’d be some signing if it comes off.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I really hope we sign Johnson. Yes we’ll get done over on the transfer fee but he will give us many years. 

There should be more excitement for Johnson IMO. Every time I see him play he just stands out as a class above anyone on the pitch. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Spoony said:

There should be more excitement for Johnson IMO. Every time I see him play he just stands out as a class above anyone on the pitch. 

Agree. It could be because he’s English and plays for Forest he’s not as appealing to some. The English player tax takes the piss but it sounds like Diaby is costing the same.  Johnson is younger and has already proven he can do it in the Premier League.   Although I haven’t seen Diaby play so hard to compare. 

Imagine if we could sign both!

Most of the knowledge I have of Johnson comes from Wales games.

Wales are entering a lean period after Bale and Allen's retirement, Ramsey aging etc. Rob Page is also absolutely not up to the job in my opinion (helpfully on a long term contract).

Having said all that, Johnson hasn't impressed me yet and still looks a bit raw sometimes. I think overspending on him is risky personally. 

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

—————Watkins—————
Felix—————————Diaby
—McGinn—Kamara—Luiz—

My gut feel is that we will more often see Tielemans start and McGinn coming off the bench.  That's not me *****ing on McGinn in any way - he's back to his best for us.  But I think Tielemans is more technically suited to the way that Emery wants us to play and so once he's settled and we (hopefully) get him back to his best he'll have a big part to play.  There will definitely be matches where McGinn's "hounding" ability will mean that he starts.  Although actually it is pretty irrelevant because like you say a starting midfield of any three of McGinn, Kamara, Luiz, Ramsey and Tielemans is pretty incredible.  I can also see there being times when four or even all five play (with maybe Ramsey in the AL position and McGinn in the AR position) - i.e. where we think we might need to play deeper and have less possession and then look for McGinn / Ramsey to join the attack.  We just look like we're covering so many bases, with different options for different matches, etc - a real first XVI feel rather than just a starting XI (i.e. subs coming on who can impact on the game with no "drop off" in quality from the players they are replacing).

The names we are linked with for the attacking roles are incredible too.

Edited by allani
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Agree. It could be because he’s English and plays for Forest he’s not as appealing to some. The English player tax takes the piss but it sounds like Diaby is costing the same.  Johnson is younger and has already proven he can do it in the Premier League.   Although I haven’t seen Diaby play so hard to compare. 

Imagine if we could sign both!

spacer.png

20 minutes ago, allani said:

My gut feel is that we will more often see Tielemans start and McGinn coming off the bench.  That's not me *****ing on McGinn in any way - he's back to his best for us.  But I think Tielemans is more technically suited to the way that Emery wants us to play and so once he's settled and we (hopefully) get him back to his best he'll have a big part to play.  There will definitely be matches where McGinn's "hounding" ability will mean that he starts.  Although actually it is pretty irrelevant because like you say a starting midfield of any three of McGinn, Kamara, Luiz, Ramsey and Tielemans is pretty incredible.  I can also see there being times when four or even all five play (with maybe Ramsey in the AL position and McGinn in the AR position) - i.e. where we think we might need to play deeper and have less possession and then look for McGinn / Ramsey to join the attack.  We just look like we're covering so many bases, with different options for different matches, etc - a real first XVI feel rather than just a starting XI (i.e. subs coming on who can impact on the game with no "drop off" in quality from the players they are replacing).

The names we are linked with for the attacking roles are incredible too.

I’m not so sure… as you’ve mentioned there…McGinn’s hounding ability along with his grit, energy, determination and battling qualities…are quite valuable and we lose a lot of that in general when you take him out of the team… I think Unai values that aggression and tenacity and we kind of lack it in general. It’s another conversation if Unai appoints a new captain…

Tielemans will be heavily involved though…

I’m not John’s hugest fan but I can see how much of an asset he is in that sense and he was brilliant during that latter half of the season… atm, we lose a lot by dropping him… but I could definitely see him rested against the weaker teams (so maybe we’re actually in agreement 😆)

I actually expect Ramsey to play a little less (could even see him in attack more and less in midfield) due to his age and to avoid burnout and to aid his development…the ability to keep our players more fresh and fit will be a great boon… there will be rotation… we hopefully won’t have to rely so heavily on a few regardless of their fitness…

Back to the McGinn point and what he brings….it’s why I wouldn’t be surprised to see us add some more physical and aggressive players to address some of our possible shortcomings. We lack a bit of aerial prowess too… need to be up for the scrap in the more competitive games but… we didn’t do too badly at all under Unai 😆

These players will need technical prowess and ability on the ball though… so it makes it more difficult to identify such targets…

It’s why we’re probably looking to offload Dendoncker and a few others… the technical quality of the side is going to go up at least another level… but we still need that fight and energy to compete at the highest level… balance…

Edited by Jas10