Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

16 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

Celtic finished 25 points behind Rangers the previous year, they lost Edouard, Ajmer & Christie to PL clubs and numerous other players. I’d like to see another European manager bring in untried Japanese players from the j league who showed they were up to the level and some believe 1 or 2 are PL standard players. 

This is the same job the Newcastle manager turned down due to lack of funds for transfers and key players leaving the club.

A lot of commentators thought it was a difficult job to walk into and would take time for Celtic to get back to the top. Yet he did it in one season with mostly unknown players not tested at that level.

A bit of context is required rather than the boring narrative that it’s the Scottish League.

He's no Gerrard though

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VillaHatesMe said:

While he's going of his own accord, he's also doing Jorge Mendes a tremendous favor. Mendes can now point to Neves as evidence when he claims a Saudi team has made a big offer for his other clients if they're skeptical the player would take it. As for the Saudis, much like PSG did with the Neymar transfer, they're trying to inflate the market even more so that soon only nation states can even afford transfer fees. Just like the PIF did to the PGA.

Enjoy European football while you can.

Saudi football won't take over for the same reason it's not a foregone conclusion that Coutinho will join Stevie G over there. A lot of rich and famous people won't want to live there and subject their families to living there for 10 months of the year with the restrictions that it brings, even if they live in compounds.

There will be some who will take the money for a while, but there's no chance it comes close to challenging the monopoly that the top European clubs have built for themselves in the last 30 years in particular.

Golf is different because they don't have to live there between tournaments and train and play there every week. Anzhi tried the whole remote training thing and it was a disaster, and that was in a league with basically continent wide travel. Football is too big and globally popular. 

Only Wingers left on market we are linked to are Goncalves - who is far too exepensive - and Harvey Barnes. Asensio and Kang-In went to PSG and Williams is staying at Bilbao. 

I feel signing a new winger is the most important position this window. Maybe a loan deal will prove best if we can't find a target the is right. 

If Coutinho can get fully fit and with Carlos fit this season too. We've Archer in the mix. We'd be ok as a base point with the addition of a quality winger and Tielemans added. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, picicata said:

If we go into the season needing Coutinho to be fit and firing then I think we have failed in the transfer window. 

We can look at the Loan market if we can't get the targets we are after. It's better than buying a player who's not right

• Like 1

I see Barca might be interested in Lo Celso. I think he'd be good option for the second striker role and competition with Buendia. Especially as he's left footed too. He's a regular with Argentina which shows his level of talent. Spurs probably would prefer to sell him abroad than to us though so probably one we can't get over the line for the right price. 

International transfer window doesn't open until July, and considering we're likely to do most of our business in European market I don't think we need to worry yet about our signings or lack of just yet.

Nothing probably going to happen for another couple of weeks, and when it does I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being for players we haven't been linked to in the media, no one saw Tielemans coming until a few days before it happened.

• Like 4

Players and staff are all either on international duty or on holiday right now, I'm sure there's plenty going on behind the scenes and we'll start seeing more movement in the market from the start of July.

There's been very little transfers domestically so far, June is generally that bit quieter and with the level of targets I'd expect us to be going for, it will take time, selling clubs can afford to wait it out a bit right now.

13 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Not a chance, but they'll use him to inspire more to move. He's a player hitting his prime, that was playing in the top league in the world and could have moved almost anywhere.

They've got Mendes on the payroll. They own Newcastle United who are in the champions league and, effectively, have a material investment in Chelsea. They have money to spend and a finite resource backing them up currently. They need this to work for their future. China barely wanted the money to leave the country after they saw it didn't bring them anything in return on the short term.

The Saudi ambitions are astronomically higher. It's a world away from China's attempt 

He had been linked with Liverpool and Newcastle hadn't he? I guess Liverpool wanted to pay Wolves and the player less to join them and I wonder whether Al Hilal's Saudi sheik said to Newcastle's Saudi sheik, that Newcastle shouldn't compete for the same player with Al Hilal (or perhaps in reality Newcastle's sheik and Al Hilal's sheik, are one and the same);)?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, useless said:

International transfer window doesn't open until July, and considering we're likely to do most of our business in European market I don't think we need to worry yet about our signings or lack of just yet.

Nothing probably going to happen for another couple of weeks, and when it does I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being for players we haven't been linked to in the media, no one saw Tielemans coming until a few days before it happened.

Yep. Preceisely this. So much of the window to go. 

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Only Wingers left on market we are linked to are Goncalves - who is far too exepensive - and Harvey Barnes. Asensio and Kang-In went to PSG and Williams is staying at Bilbao. 

I feel signing a new winger is the most important position this window. Maybe a loan deal will prove best if we can't find a target the is right. 

If Coutinho can get fully fit and with Carlos fit this season too. We've Archer in the mix. We'd be ok as a base point with the addition of a quality winger and Tielemans added. 

Also Luis Henrique at Betis.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Shaun Teales Moustache said:

Saudi football won't take over for the same reason it's not a foregone conclusion that Coutinho will join Stevie G over there

As you say this, I'm sure I saw a quote from him saying " I won't be taking up that offer ", from Gerrard.

So it doesn't seem he's going to Saudi after all.

Anybody watched the young Moroccan Winger Abde Ezzalzouli on loan at Osasuna from Barca?  He’s had and impressive season would likely be available at a reasonable price .