Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

40 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Prime is sweetened with stevie

Waaahhh..The Saudis must have ground up stevie g and are now using him as an artificial sweetener..no wonder they offered him so much money to lure him in😝

2 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

Waaahhh..The Saudis must have ground up stevie g and are now using him as an artificial sweetener..no wonder they offered him so much money to lure him in😝

Artificial being the correct term.

23 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I wouldn’t worry too much. Similar happened with China a few years back. There’s plenty of top players around for a few mainly motivated by money to go Saudi Arabia.

It's different from China signing one "Oscar". Everyone else that went there was long past their sell by date.

China also largely failed in their takeover ventures of UK clubs..see Xia.

It isn't good, for sure.

I'm amazed that Ruben Neves is off to Saudi. I guess they were prepared to pay the player (if not his club) considerably more than any PL/CL team that were interested in him were and that money is more important than football to some players. Pity to see players at their playing peak being so happy to put cash ahead of the standard of the football that they will be playing. :( Now let's hope that we are getting increasingly nearer to a signing or three ourselves. 🤞

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

Or auto correct change Stevia to Stevie!

43 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

It's different from China signing one "Oscar". Everyone else that went there was long past their sell by date.

It isn't good, for sure.

You mustn’t remember who China signed, it was more than just Oscar:

Hulk - 30

Paulinho -30

Jackson Martinez - 29

Bakambu - 26

Carrasco - 24

Arnautovic - 30

El Shaarawy - 26

All for big money and playing at a decent level, and hardly past their sell by date all of them 30 or under.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

49 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

It isn't good, for sure.

What about Ramirez, Teixeira, Carrasco?

How many top players at their peak have gone to Saudi?

26 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Hulk - 30

Paulinho -30

Jackson Martinez - 29

Bakambu - 26

Carrasco - 24

Arnautovic - 30

El Shaarawy - 26

All for big money and playing at a decent level, and hardly past their sell by date all of them 30 or under.

Diego Costa and Arnautovic through tantrums to get transfers there as well

• Like 2

As excited as I am about the players coming in this summer, I’m equally as interested to see who will be leaving and if there will be any surprises.

I’m also interested to see what kind of impact Monchi is going to have.

Going to be a fun couple of months.

59 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Hulk - 30

Paulinho -30

Jackson Martinez - 29

Bakambu - 26

Carrasco - 24

Arnautovic - 30

El Shaarawy - 26

Point still stands that this is very different from the china attempt to get in at the big table.

Of those you've listed, only Arnautovic was playing in the PL for PL salaries and was 30. A few others I would qualify as past it and demonstrated this by proceeding to do nothing afterwards.

Bakambu, who was of a reasonable age, is now plying his trade in Greece. 

If you can't see the difference between what Saudi Arabia are doing and planning, and what China have done, you've got a serious shock coming.

5 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Point still stands that this is very different from the china attempt to get in at the big table.

Of those you've listed, only Arnautovic was playing in the PL for PL salaries and was 30. A few others I would qualify as past it and demonstrated this by proceeding to do nothing afterwards.

If you can't see the difference between what Saudi Arabia are doing and planning, and what China have done, you've got a serious shock coming.

Yannick Carrasco went there from Ath Madrid and is now right choice for Belgium and Ath Madrid again.

Hardly past his sell by date. 

Edited by bobzy

10 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Yannick Carrasco went there from Ath Madrid and is now right choice for Belgium and Ath Madrid again.

Hardly past his sell by date. 

Players going back to where they come from (el shaarawy also fits that bracket) tells you the China effort failed.

12 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Players going back to where they come from (el shaarawy also fits that bracket) tells you the China effort failed.

You think Neves will retire in Saudi?

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

You think Neves will retire in Saudi?

Not a chance, but they'll use him to inspire more to move. He's a player hitting his prime, that was playing in the top league in the world and could have moved almost anywhere.

They've got Mendes on the payroll. They own Newcastle United who are in the champions league and, effectively, have a material investment in Chelsea. They have money to spend and a finite resource backing them up currently. They need this to work for their future. China barely wanted the money to leave the country after they saw it didn't bring them anything in return on the short term.

The Saudi ambitions are astronomically higher. It's a world away from China's attempt 

20 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Quite honestly, the Saudi thing might be a great way of weeding out who actually wants to play football and who is just in it for the money.

The Premier League sort of does that already anyway.

• Haha 1

Just now, useless said:

We're now linked with Fati in Spanish media, reports suggest that we want him on loan with a view to a permanent deal

I think we have to keep an open mind over transfers now we have Unai &Co recruiting but I’m not holding my breath over this one.

2 minutes ago, useless said:

We're now linked with Fati in Spanish media, reports suggest that we want him on loan with a view to a permanent deal

Let’s hope this Fati has got the Monchi’s 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

I don’t think it does still stand.  Let’s see what Ziyech, Koulibaly and Kante do with their careers after their stint in SA.  I would say it’ll not much more than the “past it” players on my list.

Why does it matter that only Arnautovic was playing in the PL? Some of the other players played for Barcelona and Atletico Madrid.