Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

5 minutes ago, sne said:

Could always fall back on the net spent argument :D

I don't think I will have too. 

The people with the transfer spend hard ons fuelled by the sky news transfer totaliser are really boring me now.

It's almost as if there's a title to be given for most money spent in every transfer window.  It's all bollocks. All we need to do is buy the player we want for the skill we need for the smallest amount of money possible. 

Isn't that it? Ooh we must spend £200m! It's so boring.

Edited by Hank Scorpio

2 hours ago, paul514 said:

Total click bait and I’m dead against signing a striker but with one caveat.

if someone wants Ollie for like 50m and we could get ramos for say 65m  then I would totally do that

Crazy gamble that - if he’s that certain to be a 15+ goal a season premier league striker he’ll be going to City/PSG/RM.

The chances of us signing someone who outperforms Watkins is very small IMHO. It’d be a massive gamble to offload a striker we know will get us goals.

Edited by El-Reacho
  • Like 4

49 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

The people with the transfer spend hard ons fuelled by the sky news transfer totaliser are really boring me now.

It's almost as if there's a title to be given for most money spent in every transfer window.  It's all bollocks. All we need to do is buy the player we want for the skill we need for the smallest amount of money possible. 

Do you need a hug? 

• Haha 1

I think the reason some fans me included are a bit anxious / worried about the transfer window is because last season was a one off. Chelsea, Liverpool and spurs will not be that bad ever again. Also on top of that you have a lot of teams in the league that will be ambitious this window and spend considerable money. I just simply think we have to spend more in this window than that what is normally considered high spend to progress or even achieve the same finish as this year. Hoping that we see some action this week 

2 minutes ago, grobs said:

I think the reason some fans me included are a bit anxious / worried about the transfer window is because last season was a one off. Chelsea, Liverpool and spurs will not be that bad ever again. Also on top of that you have a lot of teams in the league that will be ambitious this window and spend considerable money. I just simply think we have to spend more in this window than that what is normally considered high spend to progress or even achieve the same finish as this year. Hoping that we see some action this week 

I think Spurs will be even worse this year.

Though you're probably right about Liverpool and Chelsea

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Naseef hasn't head-hunted Emery to try and pick up a Carling Cup and potter in mid-table. 

It's not just getting a boner for transfer links to players and some that would command big money. It's more that's where the club is now evolving too after solidifying our place in the league. 

The statement from Naseef in regards to Monchi suggests we're trying to push more and more now. 

Some may get a bit too carried away but we really do seem to be going for it. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, grobs said:

If the league in 2023 is anything to go off, Man Utd, Arsenal, Newcastle, Brighton and every team other than Man City would also need to improve to finish higher than us next season. For the first time in years I genuinely feel that we don't need to rely on other teams to get to where we want to be next season. We're set up to control games and the team have been drilled into a system that's working for us. Our destiny's in our own hands and Emery's already getting results out of the current crop of players, so I don't see him panicking like some of our fans. We saw in January that he won't panic buy. I do think this summer will be massive, but if Emery can't get the right player for his system he's already shown that he's prepared to keep his powder dry.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, StewieGriffin said:

Seems to be a lot of links to midfielders 

We've been playing a kind of double pivot + two "8"s in the wide positions, if we stick with that we'll definitely need another mid, if we shift to three in the middle + the wide mids and/or let almost anyone leave we'll probably need two. We don't have any cover for the JJ and SJM roles on the flanks as Dougie, Kamara, Youri and The Donck are all pretty strictly central and not the quickest, and putting Bailey or Bert out there changes the system. Guess Buendia could be shifted back out wide like at Norwich but he hasn't been used that way much for us.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

I think Spurs will be even worse this year.

Though you're probably right about Liverpool and Chelsea

What makes you think Spurs will be worse?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

What makes you think Spurs will be worse?

There’s a lot riding on Kane staying. Sons declining it seems, their midfield is just ok. They need centre backs and a left back and a new keeper, plus the uncertainty of how well Ange will do. I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s a 2/3 year job and with levy it could easily be a failure. 

18 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

There’s a lot riding on Kane staying. Sons declining it seems, their midfield is just ok. They need centre backs and a left back and a new keeper, plus the uncertainty of how well Ange will do. I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s a 2/3 year job and with levy it could easily be a failure. 

You’re right about Kane, but there’s no uncertainty with how Ange will do. It will be more difficult without Kane, but he will fix the other areas.

Edited by QldVilla
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

That's a fair enough assessment. I know Ange is a relative unknown over in England, but he has never failed to improve a club he's been at. I understand the PL is a different beast but I think Ange will be the best manager they've had since Poch, and I think Kane plays at Tottenham this season and then leaves.

They definitely need to bring at least 4 players.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

That's a fair enough assessment. I know Ange is a relative unknown over in England, but he has never failed to improve a club he's been at. I understand the PL is a different beast but I think Ange will be the best manager they've had since Poch, and I think Kane plays at Tottenham this season and then leaves.

They definitely need to bring at least 4 players.

It would be good to seen an Australian manager succeed in the PL. Australia may be a less populous country than the US state of California, but Ange's success would help spread the game, and, I think, produce some positive knock-on effects outside of Europe. I just wish Spurs winning didn't have to be part of the story should he do well lol.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marka Ragnos said:

It would be good to seen an Australian manager succeed in the PL. Australia may be a less populous country than the US state of California, but Ange's success would help spread the game, and, I think, produce some positive knock-on effects outside of Europe. I just wish Spurs winning didn't have to be part of the story should he do well lol.

I have the same dilemma, I want to see Ange do well but I hate Spurs and couldn't possibly want them to win a match.

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, the_eristic said:

We've been playing a kind of double pivot + two "8"s in the wide positions, if we stick with that we'll definitely need another mid, if we shift to three in the middle + the wide mids and/or let almost anyone leave we'll probably need two. We don't have any cover for the JJ and SJM roles on the flanks as Dougie, Kamara, Youri and The Donck are all pretty strictly central and not the quickest, and putting Bailey or Bert out there changes the system. Guess Buendia could be shifted back out wide like at Norwich but he hasn't been used that way much for us.

It’s a great point and an area that needs addressing for sure. We have such a thin squad and are so lacking in options. I’m expecting quite a few signings…

Will those players even continue in those roles/positions if we strengthen accordingly? We didn’t have much else to put out there… I can see JJ’s future as a LM/LW, not sure on John but the way he was playing for Unai, his position was almost irrelevant 🤣

I don’t even know whether Unai will persist with that system (maybe he only used or prioritised it due to the personnel and quality at his disposal). Maybe he sticks with it or just tweaks it slightly.

If links to players like Williams are true… maybe there will be some sort of change. He’s not very comparable/similar to those two players…

We may even end up playing with a front 3 🤷‍♂️

28 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

The decline of Bissouma has been quite staggering! 😆 Needs a move away really and it was never the right choice for him, maybe he isn’t quite as good as many thought too.

Tbf, they really missed Bentancur when injured and he did really well. Looks a top player.