Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

10 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I'm a patient optimist, so I'm sat back enjoying the warm glow of being a Villa fan at this moment in time, and dreaming about quiet approaches being made for players such as Jonathan David and Pedro Goncalves, while adding up the goals that those two and Ollie Watkins would score for us next season. I can dream!

Now this is more like it! 😁

27 minutes ago, macandally said:

I have no interest in arguments at my age!

I think we agree that the is is a forum full of opinions, but 95% if not more have no clue as to Monchi/Emery plan.  That’s why the get the big bucks and we don’t!

I suspect none of us are ITK....so its all about opinions.....but to be fair, some posters have an eloquent way of promoting their opinion, and others as a result, can interpret it as peddling Fact.

An opinion delivered with conviction, and articulation can be assumed by some as claiming fact......it's a false assumption.

We all deal in opinions.....personally, I find it fascinanting while at the same time, at times frustrating.....we are all wired differently, hence we see things differently, that is the essence of life.

However, a measured debate, conducted respectfully is something for us all to learn from and enjoy.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

🤷‍♂️

just shared it as someone else’s suggestion.

Personally, I’d prefer a Goncalves or Felix type up there supporting Ollie.

I expect better from Buendia too, his ability to play killer through balls and send the CF through on goal can be exceptional…

Don't worry in know it was the tweeters suggestion. But it wasn't well thought out. 

I agree with you there. I'm not convinced by Goncalves, great stats, but from what I have seen is rather lightweight, but I'd certainly prefer him to Jonathan David.

Just now, TRO said:

I suspect none of us are ITK....so its all about opinions.....but to be fair, some posters have an eloquent way of promoting their opinion, and others as a result, interpret it as peddling Fact.

An opinion delivered with conviction, and articulation can be assumed by some as claiming fact......its a false assumption.

We all deal in opinions.....personally, I find it fascinanting while at the same time, at times frustrating.....we are all wired differently, hence we see things differently, that is the essence of life.

However, a measured debate, conducted respectfully is something for us all to learn from.

Well put TRO and I most agree with your second paragraph there. I think the perception doesn’t line up with the actuality.

I shall now forgive you for your staunch defences of SG 🤣

Let’s all enjoy the Unai era!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Don't worry in know it was the tweeters suggestion. But it wasn't well thought out. 

I agree with you there. I'm not convinced by Goncalves, great stats, but from what I have seen is rather lightweight, but I'd certainly prefer him to Jonathan David.

What do you think of Felix? Would he fit in and would we have any chance of signing such a player? We’d need a master negotiator at the very least.

I just think there’s players out there with huge quality and potential just waiting to be unleashed and to find a place and environment to prosper in. Most of all, they need to be working under the right manager.

I suspect that this may be one approach we might take in the transfer market, pluck these talents from their current environments and “malaises” and allow Unai to unlock them… such as Tielemans???

I honestly have no clue though 🤣

I’m just excited.

Edited by Jas10

4 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Id think Forest would do everything possible to keep him.

There’s another point, he’s not going to come cheap and wouldn’t those funds be better put to use elsewhere?

There are plenty of other players out there with (greater) potential that can be bought for lower transfer fees and wages…

I’m sure Unai and Monchi are well aware of them too…

7 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

So… we shouldn’t bother and we can’t improve?

Hard disagree there.

What’s your point?

If Unai can elevate our current crop then just imagine what he can do with a higher standard of player added to that… surely that’s how we progress and improve?

You get better by bringing in or adding better players…

Do we want to ignore the impact Moreno had?

I think you have inadvertently misread my point, or I haven't made it very well.

I agree with all what you say.

My Point is, we are already a damn good team.....absolutely right we can improve....but as we progress the pool gets smaller or who can improve us.

I just happen to think its going to get a tad more difficult, as we have to attract players, who probably want chanpions league football, thats the calibre we should be looking at.

If you extrapolate out the 1.96PPG ( I know is just a raw measurement, without sophisticated analytics) we would possibly be in the Champions League places.....so that it the challenge, not easy.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I think you have inadvertently misread my point, or I haven't made it very well.

My Point is, we are already a damn good team.....absolutely right we can improve....but as we progress the pool gets smaller or who can improve us.

I just happen to think its going to get a tad more difficult, as we have to attract players, who probably want chanpions league football, thats the calibre we should be looking at.

If you extrapolate out the 1.96PPG ( I know is just a raw measurement, without sophisticated analytics) we would possibly be in the Champions League places.....so that it the challenge, not easy.

Oh no, I wasn’t being confrontational or arguing, I was just asking you to elaborate.

And I agree that it’s not going to be easy but we have put ourselves in a good/better position with the job Unai has already done, managing to qualify for Europe and bringing in Monchi. 

Unai already has a prestige and reputation but the work he did here (were we the third best team in the division over his tenure? Only behind Citeh n Arsenal?) would have turned many heads and brought us to the attention of a fair few… we have a genuinely exciting and ambitious “project” or path here that would be enjoyable to join in on and contribute to…

My point still stands though, if he can get that much out of our existing players just imagine what he can get out of players of his own choosing…. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

Small example

Wouldn’t be surprised if we sign Goncalves, Williams, and Felix, as our new attacking contingent. Chuck in Pau Torres and a reserve keeper and we’d be set for next season. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It’s getting feisty in here. We need some random Twitter links and fast.

Shut up. Don't tell me what I want.

EDIT: New link to Torres!!!

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Well put TRO and I most agree with your second paragraph there. I think the perception doesn’t line up with the actuality.

I shall now forgive you for your staunch defences of SG 🤣

Let’s all enjoy the Unai era!

I don't mind saying....I got him wrong.

I was blinded by the tenacity, will to win, and mentality of the man......I misjudged the ability of him as a manager to manage.

I don't want to harp on about it, because its gone, but the stark contrast with him and Unai is staggering.

I had convinced myself SG would be good, and I still think BK was a good bit of business from it all.....but I got him horribly wrong.

I always defend my point, as much as i can until an alternative view has a stronger case around it.....Unai proved that to me.

I hope I don't just stick by my point just to be obstinate, because we all have the right to change our minds on something.

Ps I think I had forgotten over time, what a really good manager can do.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It’s getting feisty in here. We need some random Twitter links and fast.

Nah, some things are just lost in translation or interpretation.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I don't mind saying....I got him wrong.

I was blinded by the tenacity, will to win, and mentality of the man......I misjudged the ability of him as a manager to manage.

I don't want to harp on about it, because its gone, but the stark contrast with him and Unai is staggering.

I had convinced myself SG would be good, and I still think BK was a good bit of business from it all.....but I got him horribly wrong.

I always defend my point, as much as i can until an alternative view has a stronger case around it.....Unai proved that to me.

I hope I don't just stick by my point just to be obstinate, because we all have the right to change our minds on something.

It’s all over and in the past now, let’s just sit back and enjoy the ride. What a manager we have in Unai, we are so fortunate!

I’m so glad those frustrations are gone now, it’s been so enjoyable and entertaining with Unai here and it’s just going to get better!

Did anyone envisage us improving this much? How I’ve longed for us to be a proper team that can pass the ball well and control possession, it’s finally a reality…

• Like 1

I don't know how strong the Felix links are, but I would not pay big money for him....Thats not to say, I wouldn't have him......but what Athletico will want, and what we are prepared to give, don't seem bridgeable to me.

He has wonderful talent, but I don't see him as a constant threat, in a game,  I see a moments player.....that won't cut it at the top level, you need players constantly in the game.

Edited by TRO