Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

I think there are plenty of places up for grabs in this team… it would be amazing to have genuine competition and for it to be difficult for our players to regularly hold down a starting spot unless they’re performing at almost peak level…

As well as many have performed, we can acquire and utilise even better players that will make us a lot stronger and properly disrupting that top 6, maybe even top 4!

Imo, the only nailed on starter should be Martinez, followed by Luiz and Kamara (who we could bring proper competition in for). 

Mings and Konsa have been great and we have Carlos - there’s healthy competition and quality there but we could add another into the mix… someone even better like a Pau Torres… it may be hard to call regarding who that CB partnership should be… Chambers is not up to standard.

I think we can improve on both full back positions… we need a LB since Moreno is injured and I don’t think we can rely on Digne… plus there’s the factor of his age and lucrative contract (not worth those wages). We can improve on Cash and Young can’t keep going…

McGinn and Ramsey have been great but should they be guaranteed starters? I don’t think so, it’s good to have competition and rotation but we can’t bring in inferior players if we want to kick on… adding quality should aid JJ’s development too… there should be a real battle on to get into our midfield! With all the games we will have, there will be plenty of game time for many of our players… we need to ensure they don’t get exhausted…

Attack is where we can improve most, I don’t think anyone we have should be guaranteed a spot. Not even Watkins.

We need clinical finishers along with more creativity. We simply don’t finish enough of the chances we create but we can have a lot more “presence” or danger in attack if we strengthen properly in this area.

It’s the weakest area of our team imo and where I expect us to “attack” the market most… a bit of pace would be nice but technique and reliability is much more important…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Couple of stories out of Spain that Pau Torres has Villa and Juve to choose between.

needs to come to the best league, in the world.

58 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

as an american, I would love us to have at least one american on our roster.  McKennie might be the best option toward that goal.  Who would you think is the closest?  We probably have a keeper that could serve as backup to Martinez.

Wonder if Emery could turn Pulisic into a regular PL starter. There’s still potential there for sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, srsmithusa said:

as an american, I would love us to have at least one american on our roster.  McKennie might be the best option toward that goal.  Who would you think is the closest?  We probably have a keeper that could serve as backup to Martinez.

No thank you regards Mckennie he has been dreadful for Leeds & so glad he didn't land at Villa park.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I think there are plenty of places up for grabs in this team… it would be amazing to have genuine competition and for it to be difficult for our players to regularly hold down a starting spot unless they’re performing at almost peak level…

As well as many have performed, we can acquire and utilise even better players that will make us a lot stronger and properly disrupting that top 6, maybe even top 4!

Imo, the only nailed on starter should be Martinez, followed by Luiz and Kamara (who we could bring proper competition in for). 

Mings and Konsa have been great and we have Carlos - there’s healthy competition and quality there but we could add another into the mix… someone even better like a Pau Torres… it may be hard to call regarding who that CB partnership should be… Chambers is not up to standard.

I think we can improve on both full back positions… we need a LB since Moreno is injured and I don’t think we can rely on Digne… plus there’s the factor of his age and lucrative contract (not worth those wages). We can improve on Cash and Young can’t keep going…

McGinn and Ramsey have been great but should they be guaranteed starters? I don’t think so, it’s good to have competition and rotation but we can’t bring in inferior players if we want to kick on… adding quality should aid JJ’s development too… there should be a real battle on to get into our midfield! With all the games we will have, there will be plenty of game time for many of our players… we need to ensure they don’t get exhausted…

Attack is where we can improve most, I don’t think anyone we have should be guaranteed a spot. Not even Watkins.

We need clinical finishers along with more creativity. We simply don’t finish enough of the chances we create but we can have a lot more “presence” or danger in attack if we strengthen properly in this area.

It’s the weakest area of our team imo and where I expect us to “attack” the market most… a bit of pace would be nice but technique and reliability is much more important…

I don't think it has been Unai's intention, to have guaranteed starters, circumstances have dictated, by having a small squad of players.

Managing a big squad is difficult, in terms of keeping players happy and highly tuned....winning certainly helps enormously.....but as we have seen, some managers, baulk at large squads...I would imagine, you have to be a bit thick skinned.

With what, I have seen so far.....He will know precisely what we want....getting it, is a different proposition.....He may need several windows of incremental growth, to get what he wants....and I would back him to get it, eventually.

1 hour ago, srsmithusa said:

Adams would be closest and any plethora of American keepers. Turner would be the pick of the lot but he wants starting time. 

Adams would be good rotation but question the wages. 

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

We won't move Dendoncker on he's been useful. We need a squad for extra games next season. Losing Dendoncker makes zero sense

And he can play CB as he does for Belgium. He’s a decent rotation option.

1 hour ago, Indigo said:

Couple of stories out of Spain that Pau Torres has Villa and Juve to choose between.

Will Torres be happy fighting it out with Carlos to be 3rd choice centre back

• Like 1

2 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

We should never sign a player based on sentiment, quotas or marketing value alone. Even Messi. We should only sign players who fill a positional need, improve the team, align with long term strategy, and whose fee and wages are agreeable. If we can find an American player who checks those boxes, I'll be all for it.

I’m not sure how are people willing to make us sell all of our squad, we can’t and shouldn’t buy a squad players (apart from those who have potential to start), we need to plan and upgrade our first 11 and shift the current ones to bench, if some stepped up and showed they’re better, then fair enough and healthy competition. The lovely point with Europe is that there are many fixtures if we make it through playoff and group stage. Hopefully with two good cup runs as well we could rotate. We also should rotate in the league itself. 

• Like 1

For me the SS/RW and two advanced midfield slots are where we need to spend the bulk of our budget. 

If we can get a player on a free that would be a serious upgrade on what we have already (Asensio) then it allows budget to be put to supporting other areas. 

I’d love Xavi Simons or Goncalves for that LM spot. It would allow us rotate JJ more but still not lose the goal threat from that position. 

The RM slot is a bit more tricky as McGinn has done well there but hasn’t offered that much goal threat. I’d like us to perhaps stick with McGinn there but bring in someone like the promising Arda Guler to support perhaps. 

As for the SS/RW I’d love someone like Diaby or even Jonathan David perhaps. However I think that sort of player imight be beyond us at present FFP wise.

Asensio would be a bit of a coup if we could get him on a free otherwise it’s a bit of a risk on the likes of Nico Williams or some of the others linked. 

Edited by burchy