Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

1 hour ago, Rich192 said:

I like Asensio, but we can't be giving out those kind of wages at this stage of our project. £125k per week should be our maximum, in all reality, £150k for a really special player.

I agree with you, even on a free 10 million a year is a hell of a lot of money.

6 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

We'll do both and every time somebody randomly links us to a player, they'll inevitably also tell us that player rejected us when we don't sign them.

Not all links are true, and nor are all rejections.

We'll have to get used to the players we are linked to being a higher quality and drawing more press attention though.

There's certainly no point in getting frustrated 3 weeks before the window even opens.

This is the point! So many players we will be told will have rejected us where it is very likely we weren’t even in for them. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, paul514 said:

I agree with you, even on a free 10 million a year is a hell of a lot of money.

Yet it costs the club £20 million less than paying a £40 million transfer fee and £100k per week in wages for a similar level player which most people would describe as being a bargain.  So financially it is a pretty sound deal. 

The question as to whether paying that much in wages to one player then makes it more difficult to keep players already here or who arrive as transfers (rather than free agents) on "reasonable" money is a different one.  But I guess that the savings above mean that you can give 4 players a £24.5k a week pay-rise and still be up on the first deal.

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

This is the point! So many players we will be told will have rejected us where it is very likely we weren’t even in for them. 

Or an agent sends us a list of 30 players on their books who might be interested in a transfer this summer - we reply saying that we might be interested in finding out a bit more about 10 of them and that is then spun as making an enquiry / making an offer / interested in each of them. 

A bit like if an estate agent sends you a big wad of houses that have just come on the market and you respond asking whether one of them is in walking distance in a pub (it isn't so you don't take it any further) and then the estate agent tells the next potential purchaser that the owners "rejected" previous interest in the house, in an effort to make them think that they need to offer close to the asking price because there's loads of other people interested in buying it.

Edited by allani

I think we have to trust the Management to make the decisions and not concern ourselves. They’ve done OK so far in fairness. 

It’s a romantic notion that we can get to where we want recruiting and keeping the calibre of player required on wages associated with teams outside the top 6. It won’t and doesn’t happen. The cost of a player is his the combined total of wages and price paid written down annually. As pointed out elsewhere this appears easily within expectation and our means.

The one very strong correlation in league position and wages is [generally] the higher the wage bill the higher the league position. Of course you don’t zoom up the league by doubling everyone’s salary , but sooner or later you need to role the dice and speculate to accumulate. I am sure it will be done within the clubs means.

6 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Will “really special players” be swayed by 150k thiugh? Unless you’re talking about young talent sitting on 50k or less?

Chelsea apparently paid Chuck £80-100K p.w.

We apparently pay JJ £75K p.w.

Scary.

Edited by thunderball

Almeria forward Largie Ramazani anyone seen him in action, reportedly linked like a thousand others ahaha but looked him on YT and he looks good , its YT so not getting carried away, wonder why United didn’t keep hold off him 🤔

5 hours ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

People would pay - 20 mill transfer for him and happily pay 5 mill a season for 4 seasons. It’s the same deal…

It is but at the same time you have to work within a structure, which is mainly why I don't believe the Digne £180k a week etc stuff

Ollie plays every week for us, so does mings so does mcginn, they all earn let's say £120k a week, asensio comes in and also plays every week for us but he's on £200k a week

Do you think a footballer let alone their agent accepts the idea that asensio gets paid more because his transfer cost less or worse because he's a better footballer? It won't work like that

A rising tide lifts all boats

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

It is but at the same time you have to work within a structure, which is mainly why I don't believe the Digne £180k a week etc stuff

Ollie plays every week for us, so does mings so does mcginn, they all earn let's say £120k a week, asensio comes in and also plays every week for us but he's on £200k a week

Do you think a footballer let alone their agent accepts the idea that asensio gets paid more because his transfer cost less or worse because he's a better footballer? It won't work like that

A rising tide lifts all boats

Correct.

And it will get round very quickly. Asensio's agent would be right onto Dougie for example...I got my guy £200k at your club, why are you only on £100k?

The figures are mental, but that's modern football.

I think it can just about work if there's a player a level up from others, but even then an 'outsider' getting the big deal wouldn't go down as well as a Grealish figure who'd already been at the club 10 years.

The Asensio article suggests that rather than just £10m per year, he was offered a £10.5m signing on fee (high fees like that are pretty standard for free transfers of this nature) and £6m per year (around £110k p/w).

https://okdiario.com/diariomadridista/real-madrid/marco-asensio-rechazo-40-millones-aston-villa-330342

Marco Asensio rejected an offer of 40 million euros from Aston Villa, which put him on the table for a contract for four seasons at a rate of 7 million euros net each plus another 12 kilos of transfer bonus.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, AshVilla said:

Not convinced by Asensio, his stats are nice but he basically plays a bit part role at Real Madrid and mostly comes off the bench. (15 starts, 15 sub appearances, 6 bench non starts).

Madrid's super sub/rotation player/12th man who has put up better goals/assist numbers than any of our midfielders over the past 3 seasons isn't good enough for the Villa.  Mind you, he's also a nailed on starter for Spain as well...

Never change, VillaTalk.  Never change.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

The Asensio article suggests that rather than just £10m per year, he was offered a £10.5m signing on fee (high fees like that are pretty standard for free transfers of this nature) and £6m per year (around £110k p/w).

https://okdiario.com/diariomadridista/real-madrid/marco-asensio-rechazo-40-millones-aston-villa-330342

12 kilos signing bonus, imagine the street value on that 😳

• Haha 4