Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

14 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

I don’t know why but I feel we’re going to put in an epic performance Sunday. Newcastle-Esque.

A lot depends on how they set up. If they press us then yes, we can do to them what we did to Newcastle. But, if they stand off and come with a game plan it will be a lot more difficult. 

16 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Really don’t want Barnes if I’m honest 

I think it depends on Price. He scores and assists a lot of goals and is very quick. Throw in the Emery improvement and it just comes down to price. He's better than Bailey, Traore, Buendia as a goal threat

• Like 2

As a goal threat yes Barnes is better than Bailey and Traore, but so many of his performances are very limited. He usually relies on 1-2's to get past players and his defensive input is minimal. I'm sure he would improve under Emery and would improve the squad but I don't think he should be a priority signing in anyway

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Leicester have been linked with Archer so could do a deal with £££ for Barnes. We cannot just buy foreign players however glamour is they sound 

Barnes + £20m = Loan fee for Archer

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Leicester have been linked with Archer so could do a deal with £££ for Barnes. We cannot just buy foreign players however glamour is they sound 

The unfortunate part is there aren’t many good British players available and those that are do not represent value 

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

The 'exotic names' tax is real. Not in terms of transfer fee, but certainly with the excitement levels for some British fans.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Beastmix said:

The 'exotic names' tax is real. Not in terms of transfer fee, but certainly with the excitement levels for some British fans.

Agreed but you can understand why. British players are severely overpriced and over 20 years or so, generally have underperformed or have been limited technically compared to the some of the top talent elsewhere.

That's changing, but it'll take a long time to change opinions that buying British = Overpaying for Underperformance.

Our teens are amongst some of the most technically gifted nowadays and more and more are choosing to travel for 1st team football (I.e. Sancho, Bellingham) over just choosing the Sky 6 and the bench, which will help their development

More kids coming up from the Championship performing at the highest levels. Jack, Maddison, Tammy, Ivan Toney etc and they're in their prime years now, the next generation hopefully even better..

But the high costs aren't going away. Fans know that the only way for them to even *dream* of competing is to do what Brighton are which is buy cheap and find gems. That's not happening without exotic names, the idea of finding the next Michu still continues even now.

Its hard to blame fans for getting excited over a Julio Enciso compared to an Alex Scott. Even if talent may be comparable.

2 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Agreed but you can understand why. British players are severely overpriced and over 20 years or so, generally have underperformed or have been limited technically compared to the some of the top talent elsewhere.

That's changing, but it'll take a long time to change opinions that buying British = Overpaying for Underperformance.

Our teens are amongst some of the most technically gifted nowadays and more and more are choosing to travel for 1st team football (I.e. Sancho, Bellingham) over just choosing the Sky 6 and the bench, which will help their development

More kids coming up from the Championship performing at the highest levels. Jack, Maddison, Tammy, Ivan Toney etc and they're in their prime years now, the next generation hopefully even better..

But the high costs aren't going away. Fans know that the only way for them to even *dream* of competing is to do what Brighton are which is buy cheap and find gems. That's not happening without exotic names, the idea of finding the next Michu still continues even now.

Its hard to blame fans for getting excited over a Julio Enciso compared to an Alex Scott. Even if talent may be comparable.

It probably doesn't help that most people will think he's a former female footballer now sports presenter.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

It probably doesn't help that most people will think he's a former female footballer now sports presenter.

Haha, I nearly changed to a different youngster for this reason but outside of our own kids my knowledge use limited nowadays

49 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

No, I get all that, but I promise you the excitement would be the same even if the prices were equal.

Barnes is a quality player, playing is a dreadful team. Stick him in some random southern european team's squad and change his name to Javier Barnez and some fans would be on their knees for the board to sign them up.

Again, not saying all fans and I'm not saying prices aren't higher for English players, but there are some people who fetishise exotic names. Hell, I'm even guilt of it when playing Football Manager 😂 (in real life, though, I don't care less whether they're from Madrid or Bognor Regis).

Edited by Beastmix