Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

13 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Asensio would be a genuine meltdown signing...  Never turned out to be that world beater player he had the potential to become when he was younger, but he's been a very good rotational/squad player for Madrid these past few seasons and is in his prime.  8 million euros/week is 134k pounds/week, which is slightly more than what Ings was on for us.  

...but it's Marca, which makes up more BS than the Sun does.  

Mendes client too 

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Didn't we think that about Coutinho?

Yes, but Asensio has current stats to back it up and is 3 years younger. Coutinho we were all hoping could somewhat return to the elite form he had before his injuries. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Not saying it will happen, but as we saw with Joao Felix, our interest was very real. 

So every good link is real, every bad link is wrong? 😂

• Like 1

Just now, villarule123 said:

So every good link is real, every bad link is wrong? 😂

Unai admitted that we tried to sign another Mendes client in Felix, we may well have interest. I never said it would happen. I'm confident it won't happen but you can see why a link however tenuous might carry some weight of high improbability when Mendes is involved. 

23 minutes ago, duke313 said:

To be fair, a few people did have reservations about Coutinho.

Whether that was just because he was linked to the most hated at the time or not is up for debate.

36 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Yes, and rightfully so? It just hasn't worked out. Happens in football all the time. Doesn't mean we shouldn't try to sign players from top clubs.

Asensio is getting regular minutes (1500+ a season) while competing with Rodrygo (and Valverde at times). Madrid are trying to keep him. To get him on a free? Insane.

Edited by wishywashy

25 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Ridiculous comparison.  Asensio wasn't a flop at Madrid, he's been their super sub these past few seasons and has 11 goals and 7 assists in 45 appearances so far this season, most of which were from the bench.  

It would be like Arsenal signing Zinchenko from Man City, someone who was a very good rotational player for a club winning everything, but wants to play more games as a starter while he is in his prime.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Unai admitted that we tried to sign another Mendes client in Felix, we may well have interest. I never said it would happen. I'm confident it won't happen but you can see why a link however tenuous might carry some weight of high improbability when Mendes is involved. 

I hope we arent signing players just because they are Mendes clients and are looking elsewhere

Edited by Zatman

9 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Asensio couldn't fit the bill any more perfectly in terms of the position he plays. Attacking forward who plays more on the right than the left.

On a free too? Yes please. 

Bit short thou, only 5ft11 and change. And he's only scored 2 headed goals in his whole career so would be useless on a cold night in Stoke.

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I hope we arent signing players just because they are Mendes clients and are looking elsewhere

Alex Moreno isn't his client.  Relax...

lets just sign these players on free's.......

• Goalkeeper - Soria
  • Left Back - Grimaldo
  • Central Defenders - N'Dicka, I.Martinez
  • Midfielder - Ceballos
  • Winger/AM - Asensio, Kamada, Zaha
  • Strikers - Thuram, Dembele

then buy:

• Guendouzi.
  • Right Back.
  • Kang-In.

Sell/move on - Olsen, Digne, Hause, Nakamba, Sanson, Traore, Bailey, Coutinho, Davis, Watkins.

In - 12

Out - 10

job done? 😆

1 hour ago, wict01 said:

No chance Asensio comes here IMO, and I always have misgivings about signing players unwanted by CL teams. Feels very much like an Everton move that doesn't work out, he sits around on big money for 3-4 years and then goes to play in the Saudi league or China for £500k a week on a free. 

you've been reading my thoughts....while Brighton pay £2.7 m  for Kaoru Mitoma.

We need astute signings, not just low hanging fruit.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1