Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’ve always rated Phillips and thought he’d be a terrific signing when we were linked but with you on it now. 

He signed away his football career when he went to Man City. It wasn’t a Grealish like situation where he was destined to become one of their best players because he was that good, he was always being brought in as a squad option. 

He isn’t a bad player, but let somebody else pay the £40m they’d want to take him off their hands. No better than the much improved Luiz and Kamara. Much prefer somebody like Lavia/Kone at that sort of fee. 

FWIW, the links are absolute nonsense. No way are we interested in Kalvin Phillips. 

He would be a good player when for for the double pivot and strangely the wide midfield as he will be good in the defensive shape and in the half spaces.... now whether is is any good at the final part of making the good forward pass or scoring I have no idea.

I also wouldn't pay anywhere near the 40m

Edited by paul514
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, paul514 said:

He would be a good player when for for the double pivot and strangely the wide midfield as he will be good in the defensive shape and in the half spaces.... now whether is is any good at the final part of making the good forward pass or scoring I have no idea.

I also wouldn't pay anywhere near the 40m

My concerns aren't about his ability.

He will be on stupid wages, and seems to be injured at least 50 percent of the time.

I don't think the outlay Vs value adds up.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

If Southampton do go down I wouldn’t mind us having a look at Alcaraz. Looks like a very good player, as does Lavia.

And that Sulemana is a talented youngster. They remind me of Villa when we went down. The players they have signed aren’t bad and they’ve got lots of potential, it’s just a bit of a mish mash and their inexperience is showing.

Id hazard a bet that Salisu, Bella Kotchap, Lavia and Alcaraz will all go on to have very decent careers. 

Ruben Neves struggling to get into the side at Wolves at the moment bizarrely. I’ve always been a big fan. Would cost a pretty penny but he’ll be off somewhere in the Summer…

• Like 3

On 21/04/2023 at 14:27, nick76 said:

Agree we disagree 😂 by the way I’m not saying we are going on huge spending spree just if an opportunity arose or Emery wanted a certain player we could buy a PL player…a Smith Rowe, Maddison, Johnson, Mount or whoever.  I’m not advocating for any of these players but I could easily see a spend on one of these type of players and then several foreign talents and still not have a “huge” spending spree by current PL standards.

As for best value for the club, that’s such a subjective term…a 22 year old Smith Rowe for £50m could, based on shown talent before injury, be our star for the next ten years, knows he can do it in the PL at the top end and if we sold him before that would have significant market value whereas Kang-In for £18m is the same age, not played in PL and would be lost to military service for two years within 5.5 years.  On pure best value for the club then it’s cheapness upfront compared to less risk and longevity, so best value isn’t always about how cheap a fee is.  

Yep this all speculation though and we’ll have to wait until the summer to see what the club do.

Yep Ok mate👍

6 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

He has 3 goals and 2 assists in 113 mins this season 

It's criminal if Arsenal don't give him new contract and would absolutely jump at signing him

Pretty sure Arsenal are offering. But... For his career it probably isn't a great move to stay. 

5 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

If Southampton do go down I wouldn’t mind us having a look at Alcaraz. Looks like a very good player, as does Lavia.

Alcaraz would certainly make it difficult to escape 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

he'd be a very interesting target, but leaving Southampton after only joining in January would have question marks for me.

21 minutes ago, Indigo said:

not that we are particularly in need of a midfielder, but Ugarte interests me as well from Sporting. I'd assume out of our price range though. 

8 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

he'd be a very interesting target, but leaving Southampton after only joining in January would have question marks for me.

not that we are particularly in need of a midfielder, but Ugarte interests me as well from Sporting. I'd assume out of our price range though. 

I think we need a midfielder, I want competition for all four positions.

If it were up to me I'd sign two midfielders to play Ramsey and McGinn's positions but one of them would also be able to play in the double Pivot. 

I think we will sign between three and five players (maybe plus some up and coming prospects). The areas that I think we’ll target, in order of importance, are 10, left mid, right mid, right back, right sided centre back. I think we’ll go for quality and thus we may only sign three of those positions listed. 
The really great thing is, we will be building from a position of relative strength for the first time in years. We have a decent team, who know their roles well and perform pretty well most weeks. We now need to focus on slowing adding real quality. Throw in a few of the youngsters and we are starting to really build a special squad. Obviously the key is keeping Emery but I can see him being here for years. Good times.

7 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

Lavia is on loan from Man City and they are definitely not selling him any time soon

9 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

Lavia is on loan from Man City and they are definitely not selling him any time soon

He's a Southampton player but City have a buy back or first refusal.