Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

25 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

I agree with the midfielder and the winger, but I think we need a new defence. Mings is our best defender by a mile and I don’t think he’s good enough.

To be fair we’re about to get a “new signing” in CB in the next couple of weeks.

• Like 1

We won't be able to dine at the top table this summer . But the one just below will be used frequently i reckon. Both in and out. 

Our transfer record is about 33 mill for Wakins with addons and Buendia without  . 

I think that will be broken maybe 3 times this summer . Well i rephrase that. It will have to be broken in order to keep our manager and our goals intact. 

This summer everyone has to be aligned. No squad fillers. Huge work needs to be done to get agreements with players and clubs well in advance. 

And this is on Emery as well. We need to be around 8th to be visible to potential players. 

He needs to put together another run of wins quickly . 

Over to you Unai...

17 minutes ago, maqroll said:

We really need another CB.

I think we need other players more

Improving other areas of the pitch will improve the defence we already have, just like smiths 2nd PL season where watkins was a major contributor to more clean sheets because of his high press, get a better midfield, get at least one winger and keep the ball away from our defence and it will magically improve

On top of that on paper mings and Carlos with then konsa as 3rd choice is not bad by any stretch, it's better than a few teams above us, I don't believe Fabian schar gets in our team for example let alone lascelles, it's just having a manger that converts what's good on paper to what's on the pitch, newcastles defence benefits from both a system that protects them and continuity, ours doesn't but hopefully next season will

Our defensive unit has conceded 11 goals in 3 games. We need something new in defence. 

Maybe Carlos comes back and fixes it all. But Chambers needs to go and we need to have 4 CBs. 

So 1 at a minimum. If Carlos isn't going to be back to his best, then we need another too as Konsa and Mings isn't the partnership we need.

3 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Anyone take Kepa IF Martinez goes in the summer ? 

Assuming Chelsea buy another keeper? I suppose Chelsea would need to recoup a hefty chunk of the 72m they spent on him. Anybody who thinks we snap up Unai Simon if Emi leaves might be disappointed Athletic club don’t sell players cheap, funnily enough he was benched tonight in their game vs Athletico Madrid in favour of  22 year old Julen Agirrezabala.

4 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Why do people seem so intent on selling Cash? I thought he was very good against Arsenal.

Could understand it more if Young was 28 still rather than 38.

That said someone like Brennan Johnson would be perfect for our system so someone like Cash + 20m might be enough to tempt them?

Emery can’t but be backed in the summer if you think about it. He’s clearly ( and rightly ) not going to climb down and compromise on how he wants to play. I think how active he gets on the sideline is more of a positional directive for players to “ go here, fill in space “ etc. The mistakes we seen against Leicester and other games is more of an individual lacking the technical ability and footballing IQ to carry out what he wants. He can’t really coach that out of them. If a player isn’t capable of doing it they will always revert to type when pressure is on. I think Martinez will go. Carlos will be like a new signing. Think we’ll make a serious play for Guendouzi. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Could understand it more if Young was 28 still rather than 38.

That said someone like Brennan Johnson would be perfect for our system so someone like Cash + 20m might be enough to tempt them?

Brennan Johnson would be great for us.

But he plays as a striker or winger. He'd be a disaster at RB. 🤣

Simakan as RB/CB as he’s not getting much game time at Leipzig. 

Johan Bakayoko scored again this weekend for PSV and his stats are amazing, especially his tackling for a winger/forward. 

If we don’t get him now I think he’ll go for a big fee in the future  

I think Thuram will follow the money and go to Chelsea or even Man Utd. 

• Like 2

Dorde Petrovic is a goalkeeper we should go for. Plays for New England in MLS.  Would probably settle for a backup role if we find someone more experienced for the number 1 shirt. 

He's better than Matt Turner who Arsenal bought from MLS for $6 million.