Jhon Durán

PieFacE

Everyone should just stop stressing.

Unai has spoken in very paternal tones about Duran and has specifically referenced the need to be patient with this young man. 

So, let’s be patient.

If Unai has had enough at any stage, we will sell him and we will trouser a nice profit and move on. 

Really no need to do a pile on or get upset because he’s fluttered his eyelashes at Chelsea on X. 

• Like 1

He is probably Chelsea's equivalent of Morgan Rogers. An under-the-radar player who their scouting department has identified as a strong fit for their current side and style of play.  Duran's circle are likely aware of this and he is infatuated with the prospects of joining  a club that for the last 25 years has been one of the most dominant in world football.

(PS - I was in Central  America a few months back and I was quite surprised at how few people knew of Aston Villa, meanwhile Chelsea, ManUtd, Arsenal  and Liverpool were all very well known, but even then most people followed La Liga and were fans of either Real Madrid or Barcelona)

42 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Worth remembering that Duran was someone on our radar before Emery came in. We'd pretty much agreed the fee and agreed a contract with him when Emery came in,  so he just had to green light the deal when the window rolled around.

He didn't have his scouting team setup and so wouldn't have had as much to go on than whatever we presented to him and I imagine he was heavily swayed by this. 

Very possible that he isn't quite what Emery would typically go for in a 20 year old, but that doesn't mean Emery won't try to shape him the way he would like. 

If Emery believes he can, and is willing to put the effort in to do so, then there's noone better to do that. If he can't, or no longer believes he can, he'll make sure we get a decent amount from him, much like he has tried to do with other players he wants to let go of.

It's easy to say, but these are exactly the situations we can trust Emery and Monchi to get the best out of,  whatever that looks like for Villa. 

Villareal we're also tracking him before Unai left. We signed him as he was a target of both Unai and villa. 

• Thanks 1

Some of y’all need to chill and enjoy the sun and the fact we’ve qualified for champions league and not be so caught up on what our players are doing on social media … he’s not liking far right propaganda or conspiracy theories is he 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Some of y’all need to chill and enjoy the sun and the fact we’ve qualified for champions league and not be so caught up on what our players are doing on social media … he’s not liking far right propaganda or conspiracy theories is he 

None of us said he was or have reacted as if he was. And I am chilled, just discussing things, still buzzing about the CL qualification.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nepal_villan said:

(PS - I was in Central  America a few months back and I was quite surprised at how few people knew of Aston Villa, meanwhile Chelsea, ManUtd, Arsenal  and Liverpool were all very well known, but even then most people followed La Liga and were fans of either Real Madrid or Barcelona)

This is the key - gotta remember that when Duran was a kid Chelsea were massive. Villa were nowhere at the time. No surprise that he's infatuated by the idea of joining a team that he grew up seeing on the TV winning things. As McGinn said, the club just needs to keep his feet on the ground and remind which team it is that are currently playing at the very top

6 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Even if we entertained selling. It would make zero sense to Chelsea. We should not be strengthening other teams in the league. Unless the replacements are improvements on what we have. 

Not to say this is relevant to Duran, but it has become - and will probably continue to be - a far more frequent occurrence that Premier League teams sell to one another, due to there being a need to bring funds in and a lack of clubs internationally that can make suitable offers comparatively. For example the likes of Palmer, Mount, Jorginho, Havertz and heaps more in the last couple of seasons are the kind of moves that wouldn't have happened previously, but clubs are having to be more open to them now. If Chelsea hypothetically up making a big enough bid for him that it hugely benefits Villa financially then I don't think they'll be worried about possibly strengthening them.

2 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

I'm sorry, Nic Jackson?

Yes 22 years of age, 14 league goals first season in Premier League. Yes me misses a lot but he has every attribute to be a top class striker.

6 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Villareal we're also tracking him before Unai left. We signed him as he was a target of both Unai and villa. 

I don't that is true. emery said that he didn't know much about Duran but was shown analysis videos by villa and then agreed on that basis.

8 hours ago, The_Steve said:

This stuff is getting blown out of proportion. It’s like 5 tweets. I honestly don’t care what players like about other clubs. He’s still under contract. 

5 tweets over like a 6 month period lol

• Like 2

He's at the stage now where he needs to play more regularly.

In that respect Chelsea would be an idiotic move.

Wasn't there a link to West Ham in January? That would make more sense with Antonio leaving and Ings completely finished so he'd have far more pathway than he has currently here.

I don't really use social media to follow football, how common is it in general for players to like posts from other teams? guessing by the reaction not so common?

maybe Duran grew up supporting Chelsea, does McGinn like Celtic posts?

Â