Jhon Durán

PieFacE

Just now, villa4europe said:

But like who? 

We go buy a journeyman to sit in the bench? For what, an emergency incase Watkins gets injured, who is that guy and what personality does he come with to be willing to do that? 

And then out of everyone else in a mad around us, bar wilson at Newcastle (who was bought before isak) who else has two proper strikers in their squads? 

I don't know who because a) I'm not a paid scout, b) I wouldn't want to be a paid scout. I get paid to do other things so your asking the wrong dude. 

I'd love to have a list of possibilities for you but unfortunately I'm too busy critiquing instead like most supporters do. 

The facts are though if Duran does leave this month then it is most probable that we've found a replacement, so it may not have been, or be too difficult. 

I just think he's a way off leading the line on a regular basis if Watkins gets injured. My personal opinion. 

I didn't think he was great today, he has played much better, but I give him credit for at least trying something and forcing their keeper into saves a few times, something I think we've needed more of in recent games, too many times our players in the final third seem too scared to try something and take the easy option of the simple pass, not saying they should be shooting or trying killer pass every time, but now and then when we're struggling to break teams down might be better, so many times our players look to be in a good position but then hesitate on the ball and we lose a chance to make something happen.

I think was why Emery was so enthusiatic about Zaniolo's effort, it was a good effort in of itself, but also what we needed more of in a game like today's, and so it proved to be the case with Cash's goal, some luck involved, but you don't get that luck without taking a shot.

Edited by useless
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

I don't know who because a) I'm not a paid scout, b) I wouldn't want to be a paid scout. I get paid to do other things so your asking the wrong dude. 

I'd love to have a list of possibilities for you but unfortunately I'm too busy critiquing instead like most supporters do. 

The facts are though if Duran does leave this month then it is most probable that we've found a replacement, so it may not have been, or be too difficult. 

I just think he's a way off leading the line on a regular basis if Watkins gets injured. My personal opinion. 

I dont disagree

But at the same time I'm not thinking Watkins is going to get injured and if he does that it automatically be Duran who starts the remaining games, I think we'll toy with diaby (who's out of form) that's where the bulk of the pressure will lie but it all loops back to I'm not thinking Watkins will get injured 

I dont see how we can base out transfer policy for this window and the next 5 months on the possibility that Watkins breaks his leg and I don't believe the club will operate like that 

Just now, villa4europe said:

I dont disagree

But at the same time I'm not thinking Watkins is going to get injured and if he does that it automatically be Duran who starts the remaining games, I think we'll toy with diaby (who's out of form) that's where the bulk of the pressure will lie but it all loops back to I'm not thinking Watkins will get injured 

I dont see how we can base out transfer policy for this window and the next 5 months on the possibility that Watkins breaks his leg and I don't believe the club will operate like that 

Ideally Ollie stays injury free and maybe Diaby or even Zaniolo could play in there. I just think we have a golden opportunity this month to strengthen for the run in and try to hold on to that top 4 place. I think if we are inactive we'll come to regret it. 

We don't have to necessarily base this window on just the next 5 months. Moreno, Digne and Carlos have arrived in January previously.

45 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

We are 2nd in the league. I'd say he has enough quality around him, just needs to learn how to use it.

Absolutely, but I was talking about todays match ;)

29 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Ollie didn't really get the opportunity to do much mor when he came on either 

Don't think people realise how difficult to play as a lone striker for us when the game is like that.

Yep it's almost impossible with the only option to drop deep but no doubt the instruction is to stay high and bored.

Looked to shoot, something most others passed up the chances to do.

I imagine he gets fed up when we have numerous chances to cross the ball in for him to fight for and we play it backwards. In that aspect he has modern day fitness mixed with old fashioned forwards.

He needs to remain at the club this window unless either he really is pushing for a move or we get a few million for loaning him and have a ready made forward to come in.

He will learn and bond by staying for this season. It may be that he goes out on loan next season, depending how we finish this season.

Edited by brummybloke
  • Like 1

I thought he played fairly well in the circumstances, tested the keeper a couple of times.

He needs to sort out this thing he does when play breaks down and he just starts walking instead of thinking about what to do next to help the team.

But all in all, if there hadn’t been so much attention on him before kick off I don’t think we would have been overly critical. It’s hard playing against a parked bus.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clayton8321 said:

Hard to impress when you're asked to make lemonade for 50 people and they give you just 2 lemons.

I've just checked and there's no lemons in my lemonade so no excuses

41 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I wish we'd just kept Archer.

thing is archer has hardly set the world alight at sheff utd. if ollie got injured i'd have the same concerns if we'd kept archer. it was a totally sensible transfer and have hedged our bets by putting in a buy back.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tomav84 said:

thing is archer has hardly set the world alight at sheff utd. if ollie got injured i'd have the same concerns if we'd kept archer. it was a totally sensible transfer and have hedged our bets by putting in a buy back.

Only thing with this rationale is how often we all, rightly, speak about the impact of Emery, his ability to work with players and bring out their best.

Surely compared to playing in a poor Sheffield side the quality of chances/opportunities for Archer here would be night and day. Add in the preparation and coaching from Emery and Archer could look an entirely different player.

I understand Emery would have been very much involved in deciding to move him on but it’s hard to shake the idea Archer could be succeeding here at least to the same degree as Duran, if not more so.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tomav84 said:

Look at the stiffs he's forced to play with. I think the smart move was to keep all three and see how the two youngins panned out. 

3 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Look at the stiffs he's forced to play with. I think the smart move was to keep all three and see how the two youngins panned out. 

We had to because FFP 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, grantholtgolazo said:

Only thing with this rationale is how often we all, rightly, speak about the impact of Emery, his ability to work with players and bring out their best.

Surely compared to playing in a poor Sheffield side the quality of chances/opportunities for Archer here would be night and day. Add in the preparation and coaching from Emery and Archer could look an entirely different player.

I understand Emery would have been very much involved in deciding to move him on but it’s hard to shake the idea Archer could be succeeding here at least to the same degree as Duran, if not more so.

Unai rates Duran more than Archer thats the main fact of it all. When both were on the bench it was Duran who was called on first. Archer has 3 goals in 1300 Premier League minutes while Duran has 2 goals in 150 minutes

Duran is also 2 years younger than Archer 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, grantholtgolazo said:

Archer’s hardly done anything in a team where he’s been a pretty much guaranteed starter in a move that apparently he was quite happy with. I doubt he’ll ever be good enough for us for more than the last roll of the dice striking option in the final 10 minutes of cup game or a league game v a low block team. 

He would have to kick on a number of levels to be able to come back and play a meaningful role. Also the comparisons with Duran are reductive. Duran is 2 years younger. If he was playing on loan at Preston right now (same age that Archer was) he’d destroy that league single handed. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

Archer’s hardly done anything in a team where he’s been a pretty much guaranteed starter in a move that apparently he was quite happy with. I doubt he’ll ever be good enough for us for more than the last roll of the dice striking option in the final 10 minutes of cup game or a league game v a low block team. 

He would have to kick on a number of levels to be able to come back and play a meaningful role. Also the comparisons with Duran are reductive. Duran is 2 years younger. If he was playing on loan at Preston right now (same age that Archer was) he’d destroy that league single handed. 

My point with Archer is it’s impossible to judge him accurately based on performance in a dire Sheffield set up. 

We’ve seen how Duran performs as a “last roll of the dice” and in the “last ten minutes against a low block”, and in my opinion there’s a fair amount of room for improvement. 

Â