Jhon Durán

PieFacE

On 20/09/2023 at 08:12, Pinebro said:

Because at Villa everything went through him.

All our tacics revolved around Benteke and getting the ball to him as often as possible.

At Liverpool he was just a cog.

Said before but it's easier to stand out when you are surrounded by mediocrity 

Some of it was due to him being the focus of our attack but not most. It cannot explain it.
He didn't just stand out among our squad, he stood out amongst most strikers in the league, or in Europe. You don't do that just by being better than your teammates.
On the contrary, if he was in an average squad (he was) and still excelled with less chances and service his peers were getting, it says even more about how good he was with us.

I think it was a case of him being settled, motivated, fully fit, and being in the right place and the right time.
That Benteke in this team would score 30 a season.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Some of it was due to him being the focus of our attack but not most. It cannot explain it.
He didn't just stand out among our squad, he stood out amongst most strikers in the league, or in Europe. You don't do that just by being better than your teammates.
On the contrary, if he was in an average squad (he was) and still excelled with less chances and service his peers were getting, it says even more about how good he was with us.

I think it was a case of him being settled, motivated, fully fit, and being in the right place and the right time.

He failed to adapt to different styles and managers. To me that is not a top player.

Compare him to a player like Tevez who was great whereever he went.

2 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Strangely poor article that one.

Jedinak left the club four months ago.

Pretty sure Villa already said they were looking at a goalkeeper when they saw and noticed Duran. His name flagging up because he played at 15 is hardly 'on our radar' if we then attended a match and didn't know he was playing.

Reads to me like his source at Villa has eye on promotion. Bringing up Emery leaving? What?!

If it's someone in recruitment, their whole department needs to start delivering as much as the first team or they'll be getting replaced.

34 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

I think it's worth pointing out he scored 15 his first season at palace and 10 in another. He also scored a goal every 170 minutes for Liverpool In the prem too.

He's a player who scored 86 premier league goals. He'd probably have 115 or something if his career wasn't derailed by serious injuries.

In 13/14 he ruptured his achilles tendon, in 15/16 he ruptured his LCL, in 17/18 he did his MCL and then he had another knee injury that was unlisted so presumably an injury to multiple ligaments. After the MCL he was never really the same as what made Benteke so special is that he was quicker than every cb as strong and as big as him and stronger than any cb as quick as him so he'd always have space in the box by muscling the marker out of the way or by sprinting clear. Instead he basically became a big lump who was only really a target man instead of someone who could run the channels, get the ball at the front post and even take it past a couple of players. 

On 18/09/2023 at 20:27, Vive_La_Villa said:

Really? Didn’t realise that. So finish top go straight to last 16?

Maybe I’m underestimating our opponents but I think we should be able to rotate and finish top. 

Sorry as remembered this post. We should not be underestimating teams

1 hour ago, jimmygreaves said:

Nice occasional goal threat but didn't give us an out ball at any point. Not good when we're trying to control the play.

That was more on the midfield more than him. Midfield had no control in the 1st half

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jimmygreaves said:

Nice occasional goal threat but didn't give us an out ball at any point. Not good when we're trying to control the play.

He had the potential to be but we barely tried to utilise him. 

11 hours ago, jimmygreaves said:

I lost count of the amount of times we had the ball on halfway and you could see Duran pointing he wanted it in behind but the pass went sideways or backwards. 

He's willing to make the runs, they just weren't spotted. 

This is why we miss Buendia so much. He knits the play together and I reckon Duran would bang in a hatful with Emi feeding him. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Â