Jhon Durán

PieFacE

50 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Wow and you’re still alive. That’s impressive. I daren’t ask the nature of the work. 

Haha, probably the least dangerous work going. I was working for a UK university.

I do think Falcao and James Rodriguez were the first of, what will become, a long list of Colombian international superstars moving forwards though. Hopefully Durán is part of that!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

I visited Colombia for work a few years ago, namely Bogotá and Medellin. I am enjoying how some people interpret it a huge coincidence JPA is from the same place. Medellin has a population twice the size of the greater Birmingham area combined.

That said, I want to take it as a good omen.

He definitely looks a great prospect at 19.

The world outside of Latin America is generally pretty ignorant about Latin America. 

10 hours ago, nick76 said:

Guy on Sky whose watched him thinks he might go out on loan straight away, one for the future apparently but thinks he’s a talent

Sky reporters can hardly tell the difference between a football and a watermelon 

• Like 2

Listen to Emery. Do what he says. Success will follow.

Having an alternative to Watkins is massive. Ollie gets a raw deal with Villa fans I think, does great work with the scraps he's often given. If this lad is better than him in a year or two, we have a quite brilliant player on our hands.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chicago Villan 1974 said:

Could you be any more ignorant ? 

Probably. A little. Does that look like a decent standard of football in that clip then?

My ignorance makes me think that looks like football being played by men who have just had major surgery and are just glad to be out of their hospital beds so they're not really doing formations or anything

Sort of feeling a bit embarrassed at my own ignorance. At first I assumed “Jhon” was actually a typo and was going to make a wisecrack about it in this thread.

However, I now find that it is an incredibly common boy’s name in Colombia.

I genuinely didn’t know that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, YLN said:

Probably. A little. Does that look like a decent standard of football in that clip then?

My ignorance makes me think that looks like football being played by men who have just had major surgery and are just glad to be out of their hospital beds so they're not really doing formations or anything

For what it's worth, the highlights when Duran is wearing orange are from his time in Colombia.

As for MLS, while it's not the Premier League, the top teams in MLS would be expected to compete for promotion in the Championship. The league has come a long way in recent years. It's no accident you're seeing European teams shopping in the league now. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Listen to Emery. Do what he says. Success will follow.

Having an alternative to Watkins is massive. Ollie gets a raw deal with Villa fans I think, does great work with the scraps he's often given. If this lad is better than him in a year or two, we have a quite brilliant player on our hands.

I'm not so sure that Ollie gets a raw deal from fans. By and large the fans adore Ollie and have been really patient with him when he slips into his cold snaps. His work rate and hold up play have never been in doubt. Just his finishing. 

I love the guy and want him to stay and thrive, even if it means mostly coming off the bench.

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Hails from Columbia's second city, Medelin. Like JPA. Got a good feeling about this one.

If the club is smart, they'll pay JPA to come over, show him around, and make him feel at home.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, TomC said:

If the club is smart, they'll pay JPA to come over, show him around, and make him feel at home.

Our South American boys will help him acclimate smoothly. 

Edited by maqroll

12 hours ago, Jonesy7211 said:

19 years old, already capped 3 times for Colombia. He's hardly likely to be a donkey considering some of their forwards like Muriel and Diaz.

Don't know anything about him, but I'm optimistic. I don't think Unai would accept a dud.

Coincedently, he's more like Muriel's Colombia teammate at Atalanta.. Duvan Zapata who is also 6'2''.  He was actually the first person I thought of when I saw him play for the Fire and Colombia. Very powerful and explosive. 

6 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Smith said he made suggestions about transfers but wasn't responsible. We moved to DOF model with NWSE. Why do people keep saying manager responsible for transfers

I imagine (and hope!) that the manager continues to be one influential voice in a group that decides transfers, because in the modern game that’s a better approach, but I think Tom Collomosse (who usually seems on the money with Villa since the new owners came in) did a big piece last week about how Emery has been given more control than Smith or Gerrard. Like I say I still expect that to be one voice in a group, but possibly a louder one.

Interestingly Neil Cutler was saying in an interview pre World Cup that he was the one who made goalkeeper recommendations to Lange etc and pushed really hard for Emi. And yet he wouldn’t even be in a conversation about outfield players.

If it’s all done right it should be a healthy balance between managerial influence and longer-term club thinking.

• Like 1

Â