Álex Moreno

Delphinho123

42 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Moreno is very good and I like him but he is not 'way better' than Digne, that's an exaggeration and you know it is. The quality has always been there from Digne, he just never showed it in a Villa shirt. At this current moment in time Digne shouldn't get dropped, four assists in his last two games proves this and he should have had an assist against Everton too. That's good for us as it means we can ease Moreno back in after a lengthy injury.

I think because he was a Gerrard signing that Digne gets a lot of sh*t for no reason, he was one of the best left backs in the league two years ago and showing similar level of form for us now.

I like Digne and yes last season (under Emery) and this season he has been playing well.

However I also feel Moreno is better, dominated Trippier at Villa Park because he was quicker and more skilful with the ball. I also think that is why he is slightly better than Digne, he can beat a player with skill and speed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Leeroy said:

Moreno is very good and I like him but he is not 'way better' than Digne, that's an exaggeration and you know it is. The quality has always been there from Digne, he just never showed it in a Villa shirt. At this current moment in time Digne shouldn't get dropped, four assists in his last two games proves this and he should have had an assist against Everton too. That's good for us as it means we can ease Moreno back in after a lengthy injury.

I think because he was a Gerrard signing that Digne gets a lot of sh*t for no reason, he was one of the best left backs in the league two years ago and showing similar level of form for us now.

Mate, I’m entitled to my opinion. I see and rate Moreno as a better, superior player. There’s a reason Unai signed and preferred him and he made us a much better side.

I have never “shit on” Digne… I have just seen his limitations and also appreciate his attributes. I just take issue with the long and expensive contract he was given - especially for someone who was a reserve last season.

He’s doing well and I’ll be glad if he continues in that vein.

Context is required too though… we haven’t played a decent/strong side yet… (after Newcastle and while he’s been playing well) I hope and will be pleased if he plays well against such opposition and am encouraged by how he’s doing.

Such staunch defences and blocking of any form of criticism (whether constructive or suggested… not unfair or ott) of players are not always required… 

I like Moreno more though and he makes us better, will be happy to have him back. 

Whatever benefits the team.

Don’t tar everyone with the same brush… claiming the only reason Digne is not massively favoured or rated purely just because of the association with SG… is frankly silly. And the suggestion of “hate” for him is massively overblown.

-

I just don’t get this desperation for people to either try and force others to agree with them or take issue with a different/opposing view.

To each their own.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

He's a lot better for the way we want to play imo.

Digne is fine as rotation and for certain games but Moreno is definitely my preferred option.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Mate, I’m entitled to my opinion. I see and rate Moreno as a better, superior player. There’s a reason Unai signed and preferred him and he made us a much better side.

I have never “shit on” Digne… I have just seen his limitations and also appreciate his attributes. I just take issue with the long and expensive contract he was given - especially for someone who was a reserve last season.

He’s doing well and I’ll be glad if he continues in that vein.

Context is require too though… we haven’t played a decent/strong side yet… I hope and will be pleased if he plays well against such opposition and am encouraged by how he’s doing.

Such staunch defences of players are not always required.

I like Moreno more though and he makes us better, will be happy to have him back. 

Whatever benefits the team.

Don’t tar everyone with the same brush… claiming the only reason Digne is not massively favoured or rated purely just because of the association with SG… is frankly silly. And the suggestion of “hate” for him is massively overblown.

-

I just don’t get this desperation for people to either try and force others to agree with them or take issue with a different/opposing view.

To each their own.

You're entitled to your opinion Jas but 'far better' I just don't think is fair. I think Moreno is quicker and better suited to Emery's style which is why he was favoured more last season (plus he played exceptionally well and has undoubtedly been a great signing) but it looks to me like Digne has adapted and he is making forward runs much better and you can see he has massively improved. He's always had great technique and been a great crosser of the ball, we just weren't seeing it enough before.

And yes Digne is on a lot of money and did cost us £25m, I just think the penny may have dropped for him and he's playing really well. He was never playing that badly before anyway, I think it gets missed he got 4 assists in half a season even under Gerrard FFS, and scored a beauty of a free kick in Emery's first game.

I totally accept a different opinion, I hate the negative reaction on here too at times, we should all be allowed to have an opinion, so I apologise for my reaction. I still don't agree he is far better though and we are lucky to have two very good left backs who can both push each other this season.

31 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I like Digne and yes last season (under Emery) and this season he has been playing well.

However I also feel Moreno is better, dominated Trippier at Villa Park because he was quicker and more skilful with the ball. I also think that is why he is slightly better than Digne, he can beat a player with skill and speed.

I think Moreno is slightly better too due to his pace and overlapping runs. But I like Digne too and happy to have both of them. They should both play a lot this season.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Leeroy said:

You're entitled to your opinion Jas but 'far better' I just don't think is fair. I think Moreno is quicker and better suited to Emery's style which is why he was favoured more last season (plus he played exceptionally well and has undoubtedly been a great signing) but it looks to me like Digne has adapted and he is making forward runs much better and you can see he has massively improved. He's always had great technique and been a great crosser of the ball, we just weren't seeing it enough before.

And yes Digne is on a lot of money and did cost us £25m, I just think the penny may have dropped for him and he's playing really well. He was never playing that badly before anyway, I think it gets missed he got 4 assists in half a season even under Gerrard FFS, and scored a beauty of a free kick in Emery's first game.

I totally accept a different opinion, I hate the negative reaction on here too at times, we should all be allowed to have an opinion, so I apologise for my reaction. I still don't agree he is far better though and we are lucky to have two very good left backs who can both push each other this season.

You don’t have to apologise mate but you don’t have to come down hard on an opposing view either…

I’m not shitting on or hating Digne by saying Moreno is far better or superior either…

Would it be harsh to say Pau, Carlos and Konsa are “far better” than Chambers? Watkins is far better than Duran, Kamara > Dendoncker, Martinez > Olsen, Diaby > Bailey and so on and so forth…

I like our players, our squad and I love our manager. The only player I have genuine concerns about is Olsen but I’ll be pleased to see him improve and do well too…

How about this then… Moreno showed he was a far better player than Digne LAST SEASON? But it could be different or closer this season?

I rate and like Moreno considerably more than Digne… but that’s just like my opinion dude.

Digne improving and becoming a better player under Unai’s tutelage is a big plus, a real positive… ultimately, we should be pleased about what benefits and strengthens the team. That’s all I want anyway.

Have a good day 👍

And

UTV 🟣🔵

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

He's a lot better for the way we want to play imo.

Digne is fine as rotation and for certain games but Moreno is definitely my preferred option.

I think Digne is looking much better going forward and is showing he can adapt. Let's see what Emery does when Moreno is fully fit again but I think Digne deserves to keep his place for now until he has a dip in form.

2 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

You don’t have to apologise mate but you don’t have to come down hard on an opposing view either…

I’m not shitting on or hating Digne by saying Moreno is far better or superior either…

Would it be harsh to say Pau, Carlos and Konsa are “far better” than Chambers? Watkins is far better than Duran, Kamara > Dendoncker, Martinez > Olsen, Diaby > Bailey and so on and so forth…

I like our players, our squad and I love our manager. The only player I have genuine concerns about is Olsen but I’ll be pleased to see him improve and do well too…

How about this then… Moreno showed he was a far better player than Digne LAST SEASON? But it could be different or closer this season?

I rate and like Moreno considerably more than Digne… but that’s just like my opinion dude.

Digne improving and becoming a better player under Unai’s tutelage is a big plus, a real positive… ultimately, we should be pleased about what benefits and strengthens the team. That’s all I want anyway.

Have a good day 👍

And

UTV 🟣🔵

I think 'far better' in those cases are generally fair but I think the left back situation is different because we have two very good left backs (my opinion). Moreno was exceptional last season and fully deserved to be first choice, but I've always rated Digne and he's performing really well right now and I don't think dropping him would be quite right. Again, just my opinion.

I think it will be interesting to see what happens, I suspect Moreno will initially get minutes from the bench and if Digne's firm drops off he'll be back in. But let's see! UTV!

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I dint really care who is better.

For me what excites me is that w ehave too very good left backs at the club that can push each other for starts

Yep, we've gone from a guy who wanted to leave because he couldn't get a sniff to a guy who's playing out of his skin because he got the chance

Its great

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

I think 'far better' in those cases are generally fair but I think the left back situation is different because we have two very good left backs (my opinion). Moreno was exceptional last season and fully deserved to be first choice, but I've always rated Digne and he's performing really well right now and I don't think dropping him would be quite right. Again, just my opinion.

I think it will be interesting to see what happens, I suspect Moreno will initially get minutes from the bench and if Digne's firm drops off he'll be back in. But let's see! UTV!

That’s cool… tbf I thought Digne would have been a lot better for us beforehand but he seems to be getting into that kind of form now so that’s really encouraging… he has attributes and is technically gifted in his passing, crossing and set pieces… would probably make a good penalty taker too.

Moreno brings a lot more, great going forward, excellent dribbling and speed, really cuts through teams… Digne isn’t that kind of player.

Moreno’s defending isn’t bad either… he has put his body on the line for us on several occasions (stopping us from conceding a few times) and sadly paid the price… at least he’s on the way back now.

Again, Digne doesn’t seem to have that side to him either…

Both are good players or options to have in our squad. On that we can agree.

Edited by Jas10
  • Thanks 1

Moreno to Digne is barely a drop off in quality; it’s silly that we have such good left backs at the club.

As someone said before, no need to rush Moreno back. Hopefully he keeps his pace as it’s a major asset. 

3 hours ago, Leeroy said:

Moreno is better than Digne IMO. Maybe not 'way better', but for me he is better. Crucially, Moreno can beat people in tight spaces and do the intricate stuff. His cutbacks are also so damn consistently accurate that it's hard to say that Digne is even a better crosser. Probably a better crosser from deep but that's what makes Moreno so good - he doesn't need to cross from deep because he's so good at getting to the byline and into those dangerous areas.

The amount of space Digne had against Hibs was borderline comical. That's not to say he doesn't put a great ball in.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I dint really care who is better.

For me what excites me is that w ehave too very good left backs at the club that can push each other for starts

^^^^

THIS. 

Digne's done very well in the last couple of games against teams that have been set up in a way that affords him a lot of time and space to whip in crosses from the left.

Against teams that are harder to break down, Moreno is way less one-dimensional offensively. He will often look for dangerous passes to feet in the box rather than speculative crosses, and if nothing's immediately on he can play fancy short one-twos or just dribble horizontally across the edge of the area pulling people out of position and causing confusion. He is a really interesting player to watch for this reason imo!

Not knocking the job Digne's done covering, and certainly wouldn't complain if we keep both for this seaaon

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, switters said:

Also might be a chance in certain matches he chooses to play Moreno higher up pitch so both he and Digne start.

Moreno and Digne on one side and Cash and Konsa on the other. 

Imagine VT when they see that lineup. 🤣

Â