Álex Moreno

Delphinho123

14 hours ago, est1874 said:

Moreno is not a bad defender; I don't know where this myth has come from but certainly not from his performances in a Villa shirt. Bit weird tbh.

He made a couple of mistakes during his first few games, one of which may have led to a goal,  but the view has stuck with many.

Since then (when he was new to the club, new to the league, and new to the country), he's settled and has recently looke dvery capable. He handled Bowen and Outarra relatively well.

Certainly not a car crash defensively, his positioning and awareness are good when he's already back defending, and no one is beating him for pace with the ball. He just finds himself a bit out of position if the opposition get a quick turnover.  Its going to happen from time to time with our style, but we've handled it well so far anyway. It's a very small price to pay for his creativity on the overlap. 

Maybe there's just an unwritten expectation that any defender that can put a cross in and gets forward must be crap at defending. I feel TAA gets the same treatment (tinhat on).

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Why would we have ever doubted him. These coaches we have. They can improve any player in any aspect of the game. Emery said its the best coaching set up he has ever had.  Seems legit. 

He looked so good today. Tenacious. Took up the correct positions every time. Reminded me of Ashley Cole today. Just imperious against 6ft 4 RLC

• Like 2

Brilliant player!  What a bargain at 15 million pounds.  You get the sense that if he was 5 years younger and playing this well, the big boys would be circling for him and we would have had no chance of signing him this past January.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Brilliant player!  What a bargain at 15 million pounds.  You get the sense that if he was 5 years younger and playing this well, the big boys would be circling for him and we would have had no chance of signing him this past January.  

12 mill. Even better. He has years ahead of him if he keeps away from big injuries.  Built like Ash Young . So will go on for ever. 

• Like 1

Moreno's best game in a Villa shirt I thought. I had my doubts about his defensive abilities, but he looked solid today... good positioning, wasn't afraid to put in a heavy tackle if necessary. And we all know what he can do going forward.

• Like 1

Â