VillaTalk Deadpool 2023

Xela

Sinead O’Connor was a fantastic singer and unique personality who was a victim of being perceived as a one hit wonder and then committing the grave crime of talking about paedophilia in the Catholic Church.

Think history will be kind to her. Her early albums are worth a listen if you only know Nothing Compares 2 U.

4 hours ago, BOF said:

Sinéad O'Connor gone.

Very sad to hear this. I think global fame and celebrity came too sudden for her. But she always was true to herself in the face of that glare, and that made her immensely brave, IMO. I hope she finds peace now.

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Sinead O’Connor was a fantastic singer and unique personality who was a victim of being perceived as a one hit wonder and then committing the grave crime of talking about paedophilia in the Catholic Church.

Think history will be kind to her. Her early albums are worth a listen if you only know Nothing Compares 2 U.

I really admired her for her protest on SNL - and showed a great deal more courage than Madonna - though, if that was one of the dealbreakers for her with Christianity, it makes you wonder why she converted to Islam, whose clerics and adherents aren't exactly free of problems around sex and child abuse themselves.

Edited by His Name Is Death

14 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

I've always known that Sinead has had her demons, but without actually understanding what those demons are.

Is it depression?  And if so, what caused it? 

Depression doesn't work like that.

But she had an abusive childhood and went into care as a teenager. And last year she lost her 17 year old son.

17 minutes ago, Chindie said:

She had a very complex and difficult life, which lead to mental health issues - depression, personality disorders etc.

Her parents divorced when she was young, her mother was abusive, she moved between her parents and ultimately ended up in a Magdeline laundry (essentially a Catholic workhouse for 'unruly' women, renowned for being horrific places) after issues with petty crime and skipping school. Then her mother died when she was still young, which even accepting the dodgy nature of the relationship is still a big impact on a young person. Then she ended up going into the music industry when still pretty young and naive but also headstrong, opinionated and mentally vulnerable - she got thrown into a world that was cruel, false and unfair, and she was someone that was prepared to say what she felt and didn't care what that did to her. Her background, being Irish and particularly socially conscious, meant she was close to and had opinions on many matters (the Troubles, the Irish/UK relationship generally, social degradation, imperialism generally, the Catholic church...) that were at the time unpopular or dodgy ground to walk on, setting her on a collision course with popular opinion and acceptable positions. To make things that little bit worse she wanted to be a protest singer but the song that made her name was the opposite, meaning she got catapulted into the limelight globally as this vulnerable singer with a sad lost love song when she wasn't really that kind of song writer... which then meant she got the kind of platform someone with her opinionated and confrontational style wouldn't do normally. Which lead to the famous Pope photo tearing on US TV which killed her as a mainstream figure and made her somewhat toxic. That wasn't necessarily a bad thing for her - she didn't want to be famous - but it did mean she got completely abandoned by her peers at her most vulnerable.

Then her personal life was a mess. She bounced between partners, married 5 times (a number of which were very short), had bitter custody battles, her romantic relationships were rocky and unstable, and had strained relationships with some of her children as a result. That culminated last year with the son she was proudest of killing himself suddenly, which appears to have sent her into the final spiral of depression that lead to her death.

She was never going to have a long life. She ran through life smashing into everything, raging against everything she felt was wrong with the world and not accepting it for what it was, and being clumsy and unsubtle in how she tackled and raised her voice on issues, and ultimately that took it's toll on everything in her life.

Wow, thank you - I only really know of her as somewhat of a short lived popstar, with a cult "icon" edge to her. 

As a kid, she was on "The Smell of Reeves and Mortimer", who did a skit with her and she seemed game and fun, but painfully shy. 

I did know she has issues with her mental health, but I didn't know any of the details - so thanks for putting as much detail as you have 👍

I've skipped over the Pope photo incident but if you read up on that she's the only person that comes out of it with any credit, bar perhaps Kris Kristofferson. It killed her career, undoubtedly, though she didn't really care as said, but the reaction was grim. And Madonna used it to sell herself and attack O'Conner, which is despicable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Can’t beat a bit of Eagles on a warm evening, a tip of the hat to my missus for introducing me to that, literally the only vinyl of hers that is in the ‘accessible’ filing system, the rest of the dross is containered in the garage.

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

I just looked at a list of Eagles songs, I knew two of them and I wished I didn't

Depending on which websites you use , their greatest hits album is the biggest selling Album of all time  

I have to leave the room if I hear Hotel California , its so bland and boring it makes the Foo Fighters sound interesting 

• Like 1

Wonder if his death will affect their up-coming tour in America? They were due to play at MSG with Steely Dan as SUPPORT ! Think they got that the wrong way 'round.