maqroll

On 04/12/2022 at 12:22, messi11 said:

When the King of Football played at Villa Park in 1972. New 5k Generator! We're Massive.

image.png

image.png

I was there standing at the Witton end, great night made better by finding £1 note in one of the gangways.on the way out.!!!!!

• Like 1

What a player, what an icon, and what an ambassador!

As a kid we always argued who was going to be Pele when we down the rec.

The metaphors and similies used to describe him would be considered racist these days, but his physical movement was beyond comparison. His spring-heeled leaps and fluid changes of direction, and his tricks and feints, had never been seen before, or at least not in the English game.

I think maybe only the Italians didn't enjoy the 1970 World Cup final, but it definitely deserved the appelation "the beautiful game', even if it became an over-used cliche in commentator parlance.

Apart from the talent and the physical prowess, it was his character which made him loved, as he was the diplomat par excellence, on and off the pitch.

We all remember the handshake he exchanged with Bobby Moore, after an outstanding duel which the maestro respected.

Truly great and truly loved!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tinker said:

Had a decent night , stood in the Holte end cheering my little heart out, Dad had a bad one though , lost a £1 note on the way out.......🙃

I think Messi11 found it?....and lost it again.

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

I know it's a running joke amongst the longer-standing members of VT, but on a personal level, the death of Pelé is sad for me.

They say never to meet your heroes but, man, it was a privilege to meet the greatest hero of them all.

image.png

PS, even though it was 2005 I'll apologise for that jacket. I make no excuses for the look of awe on my face though.

A bit disrespectful to take the piss out of Pele's jacket at a time like this 😁

• Haha 1

Just going to quote a few sentences from Hugh McIlvanney, the late great journalist, on the Brazil v Italy 1970 World Cup Final-

'Those last few minutes contained a distillation of their football, its beauty and élan and undiluted joy. Other teams thrill us and makes us respect them. The Brazilians at their finest give us pleasure so natural and deep as to be a vivid physical experience. This was what we had hoped for, the ritual we had come to share. The qualities that make football the most graceful and electric and moving of team sports were being laid before us.

Brazil are proud of their own unique abilities but it was not hard to believe that they were anxious to say something about the game as well as about themselves.  You cannot be the best in the world at a game without loving it and all of us who sat, flushed with excitement, in the stands of the Aztec sensed that what we were seeing was a kind of tribute.'

It doesn't get much better than that.

• Like 1

i think Pele was such a legend for anyone in my parents generation, in their 60's, probably the first football megastar etc....we probably struggle to think how exceptional these players were back then and the things they were accomplishing, especially with the transfer values now.....my dad always spoke of trever francis being the first million pound footballer and that being a huge deal.....only recently we sold one of ours for 100 mil, its a different period but imagine winning the world cup as 1 17 year old!

25 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

i think Pele was such a legend for anyone in my parents generation, in their 60's, probably the first football megastar etc....we probably struggle to think how exceptional these players were back then and the things they were accomplishing, especially with the transfer values now.....my dad always spoke of trever francis being the first million pound footballer and that being a huge deal.....only recently we sold one of ours for 100 mil, its a different period but imagine winning the world cup as 1 17 year old!

By my (aka Wikipedia's) account, only one other 17 year old and only a handful of teenagers have won it

1994: Ronaldo (17)

1982: Giuseppe Bergomi (18)

1970: Marco Antônio (19)

1962: Coutinho (18)

1958: Pele (17), Mazzola (19)

1950: Rubén Morán (19)

• Shocked 1

On 30/12/2022 at 19:33, Tom13 said:

This is amazing

What a player

This is why for me, players like Mbappe and Ronaldo being called the GOAT is borderline embarrassing. Pele was the original, and lit up the game like no one ever has. 

Rest in Peace, legend.

Â