Club Crest Discussion (2022 version)

Demitri_C

For me, changing a badge should be an absolute last resort - you don't see McDonalds changing their M, Nike changing their swoosh or any of that - changing our badge should happen every forty years for the most serious of reasons only - companies that change their logo all the time reek to me of a lack of values, they're plasticky and impermanent.

Whether you think that the new badge represents our values or not, whether you think it's pretty or not, whether you think it's perfect for a global market or not, changing it is the very opposite of our values, it's a cultural display of 'fickle' and we're a club whose values are about history, stability and being a pillar of some sort of footballing culture - changing the badge every time we get a CEO isn't for me.

It's not so much that I'm tied to this badge, or indeed the badge before, but I'm tied to the idea of us being the kind of company, the kind of team, the type of club that knows who we are and that don't dick about with that every five minutes. 

We designed a badge, we voted on it, you like it or you don't - for me I say let's give it twenty years and see if we want to do something about it.

As it is, we've fudged about, we've now got two badges, we're a confused jumble and we'll take advantage of the 150th anniversary to put another jumble on it - three badges in two seasons - it's the commercial equivalent of being one of those teams that has three managers in a season and goes down.

Wishy-washy.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Villa deleted the video Project B6 posted  on twitter: 

https://www.avfc.co.uk/video/59a7f684-b6df-480b-ab14-ad1e51c2b70a

They didn't they just seem to have stopped the only really classy thing about the kit launch escaping from the confines of a small patch of the official website in case people accidentally see it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

https://www.avfc.co.uk/video/59a7f684-b6df-480b-ab14-ad1e51c2b70a

They didn't they just seem to have stopped the only really classy thing about the kit launch escaping from the confines of a small patch of the official website in case people accidentally see it.

What the hell is going on? It’s all just a bit strange…

53 minutes ago, JPJCB said:

But there’s big short term costs to doing so- we look like a **** joke with a confused marketing strategy. The new way forward will have to be stronger to compensate for that 

I agree but presumably they think that getting it right long term is better than regretting a full rebrand and the short term embarrassment will be worth it.

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

What the hell is going on? It’s all just a bit strange…

Pretty obvious villa are trying the limit the exposure of the new badge to kill the idea that it is our new permanent crest. That video has a flag of the new crest front and centre. A mess basically and sad for those involved with making the video.

• Like 1

I think it's much more likely that Twitter is just a very dumb and very broken platform (thanks to a certain individual) than Villa/Heck intervening to bring down their own marketing campaign

Edited by wishywashy

2 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

I think it's much more likely that Twitter is just a very dumb and very broken platform (thanks to a certain individual) than Villa/Heck intervening to bring down their own marketing campaign

Twitter is a joke and a horrible platform. I hate using it nowadays, and I've been on it 15 years, I use it more out of habit than enjoyment now.

But this mess was all our own doing and can't be blamed on the joke the platform has become

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Like 1

It's better than the current one, as everyone agrees it is obsolete and doesn't even have our name on it. In fact I would prefer both round, the gaslight thingy design and the 1990's versions more than the current one. And now for some reason they still want to have it as the face of Villa on all digital channels.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Twitter is a joke and a horrible platform. I hate using it nowadays, and I've been on it 15 years, I use it more out of habit than enjoyment now.

But this mess was all our own doing and can't be blamed on the joke the platform has become

I don't disagree with everything else that makes this a bizarre mess, just can't see that Villa managed to get in contact with Twitter in mere hours (frankly the part I buy the least tbh 😂) to get a promo of their own creation surreptitiously deleted without even telling the poster. Usually they keep the tweet up if the video itself is taken down for copyright or something? Never heard of a tweet just outright being deleted without warning as part of a takedown. God knows why it was taken down if it wasn't Villa, though (although videos on Twitter are now extremely broken. half the time they don't even play for more than 3 seconds anymore)

Edited by wishywashy

15 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

It's better than the current one, as everyone agrees it is obsolete and doesn't even have our name on it. In fact I would prefer both round, the gaslight thingy design and the 1990's versions more than the current one. And now for some reason they still want to have it as the face of Villa on all digital channels.

Nailed it. I also associate the Lerner badge with failure. It is the worst badge we have ever had. I wanted rid of it.

I'd be pretty narked if I was Emery. We're stretching to sign top players, and Unai is doing everything he can to get them to buy in to the project, and after yesterday it looks as though we are in two minds as to what we want our identity to be.  

Does not project confidence.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I'd be pretty narked if I was Emery. We're stretching to sign top players, and Unai is doing everything he can to get them to buy in to the project, and after yesterday it looks as though we are in two minds as to what we want our identity to be.  

Does not project confidence.

I really can’t see the logo stuff impacting whether we will sign a player or not.  They really won’t care. The  100k + weekly salary will be more on their minds. 

Edited by blandy
Post moved

The change of badge/branding should have been celebrated. I had heard that there were big plans for the last game of season to do this, but obviously that never transpired.

But knowing that was the plan, and that plan was scrapped, we know this has clearly been under review for a while now. I'm therefore disappointed that yesterday was such a sh*t show.

They had time to work out how best to communicate this change of thinking - and it should have been better than the short, ambiguous note they put out.

They know fans are going to be scrutinising every detail. It's about getting ahead of that and they didn't.

The badge will end up as plastic as Arsenal's at this rate.  The Randy Lerner badge; gold lion on light blue doesn't work.  The Ellis shield was ok, the stripes kind of spoiled it, and from what I can remember it was only done because clubs couldn't TM (or whatever the term is) their old badge for the start of the Premier League. 

I do find it bizarre that so many supporters have very little care for the roundel badge we won the league and European Cup with.  I thought the new design was good, keeping the gold to a minimum.  And to make it different from the old roundel, using a lion faced right which was used from 1878-1882 (so not wrong at all).

So the new CEO is clearly determined start on the wrong foot with supporters.  How many more gaffs is he going to make?  A pitty he isn't so keen to get that Doug Ellis name removed off the Witton Lane Stand

Edited by Humanoid
  • Like 1

Just now, rbcuk said:

Perfect opportunity to have had the new badge behind but nope 

FEAE8C38-6193-49A7-B2CB-E3C81F9D537D.jpeg

When I read the reaction to the crest update yesterday it felt like people were blowing it out of proportion.

But this, this looks **** ridiculous. Proper amateur hour. My students in their Marketing modules would know this is nonsense.

The club need to sort this, just implement what we voted for. If it needs a little sprucing up that can be done. The 90s badge was frequently refreshed and the Lerner badge was altered twice. Colour was toned down after one year and the Lion changed at the time prepared was removed in 2016.

Edited by Captain_Townsend

Â