• Olsen (Martínez 35)
    • Ramset (Bailey 61)
    • Coutinho (Buendía 61)
    • McGinn (Dendoncker 69)
    • Digne (Cash 69)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/11/22 at 23:59

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

What's even more annoying, is that you know Newcastle are just going to get better and better, especially with transfer windows.

2nd time we've been taken over before other clubs, stuttered and then gotten leapfrogged by more ruthless and efficient leaders.

They will get better over time but they will also run into trouble at some point. All clubs do. The core of their team is 8-10 fairly average players playing the best football of their lives, that won’t last forever.

• Like 1

As soon as Martinez went off you just knew it wasn't going to be Villa's day.

Villa gave the ball away a lot and were too light-weight too often to win it back and keep it.

I know that all is fair in love and VAR but I thought the penalty was very harsh.

Villa needed a bit more know-how when facing an obviously better team, and we can only hope the new guy has that know-how.

50 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Some proper insane comments in the match thread. 

Many predicted we would have a tough time here and so it proved. 

But again I take positives. Like Man City we've shown in the first half we have the capability to match these top teams, at least for a while. 

We've played really well in spells against Man Citeh, Chelsea and now Newcastle. 

We've just last week hammered a team above us in the table. 

Let's examine the facts. 

We haven't won't at St James's Park for years, it's a proper bogey ground for us. 

Newcastle were 4th at the start of play and have been flying. 

We're under a caretaker who is miles away from being a proper manager.

We matched them, and in fact probably shaded the first half till undone by a penalty. 

Some of the VAR decisions looked well dodgy. 

Yes, heads dropped after the second went in but there is loads there for Emery to work with. The bones of a really good team are there. 

I hate that we collapsed but it's not the end of the world. Onwards to The Emery years. 

I think you are looking at some aspects of the game, and not others....we started out the better team, but once our achilles heel is exposed, (Soft underbelly)......BOOM.

They are all bogey teams, when you don't compete physically.. ..We were out muscled, by a team, far more focused on that aspect of the game

We can play, when we are allowed to....this team didn't allow us to....off the ball we was low grade, we like to be on it, and we are better.....once we yielded the initiative ( after the penalty, which was coming to be fair) we offered them space to play in, and thats when they come in to their own.

In a nutshell, we are too easy to play against, and have been for yonks.....He has to be given Licence to change that, else we are heading in the wrong direction.

That was not a bogey, or a one-off, or a bad day at the office or any other excuse......That is currently in our DNA.

Lets hope UE can change it, else we are in big trouble.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, striker said:

Ok well let’s see how many of the present team last over the next 2-3 windows with Emery?

Emery isn’t going to stake his reputation on this lot, no way. 

Who do you support? I agree some will be moved on but it’s a better squad than what Howe had when he took over at Bloodmoney FC, remember how much of a joke Joelinton Schar , Longstaff and Almiron where amongst Newcastle and other team fans? 

Edited by gwi1890
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, 6065_Villa said:

Wasn't a surprise just a pity we shipped 4 to a well drilled but average side. A lot of work for the new boss but he has the experience that the previous boss was lacking in

not so sure about that....maybe they are on top of things, we have been ignoring, and not focusing on.

They are a difficult side to play against......good sides usually are.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Some proper insane comments in the match thread. 

Many predicted we would have a tough time here and so it proved. 

But again I take positives. Like Man City we've shown in the first half we have the capability to match these top teams, at least for a while. 

We've played really well in spells against Man Citeh, Chelsea and now Newcastle. 

We've just last week hammered a team above us in the table. 

Let's examine the facts. 

We haven't won't at St James's Park for years, it's a proper bogey ground for us. 

Newcastle were 4th at the start of play and have been flying. 

We're under a caretaker who is miles away from being a proper manager.

We matched them, and in fact probably shaded the first half till undone by a penalty. 

Some of the VAR decisions looked well dodgy. 

Yes, heads dropped after the second went in but there is loads there for Emery to work with. The bones of a really good team are there. 

I hate that we collapsed but it's not the end of the world. Onwards to The Emery years. 

You talk a lot of sense, but the highlighed bit needs some serious revising mate. 

30 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Gerrard was head coach of those coaches and directed them.  Of the 12 coaches, there are three left at the moment.  Emery comes in and builds his own coaching team.  I’m not understanding your point!  Surely you don’t think a week without Gerrard and suddenly all that coaching from the last year disappears? Surely you aren’t saying that.

@nick76 nah, I think in my roundabout way I was supporting the posters on these pages who dared suggest the players have more than a hand/foot in how poor we are. </endOf>

To many of these players are lightweight mercenaries who will get any manager the sack, lack of fight, easily moved of the ball and sulk if the opposition will not let them play. We badly need new players with some loyalty, grit and commitment at this club . Good luck Emery your only hope is new recruits.

1 hour ago, RAN4OSU said:

That match came down to a manger not seeing the writing on the wall. Young and Watkins should have been pulled at half time or soon afterwards. Buendia was getting nothing from ref who gave them everything,  which should have been a signal to take him off.  It’s not rocket science and I’m sure everyone watching thought the same. Working hard does not cut it in this league and I fear this was Gerard and todays performance downfall. 

I am hoping the new manger actually has a manager brain and sorts us out. 

some profound claim, that.

off the ball, and in close contact, that was precisely what got them back in the game, from a shaky start.

However, the writing was on the wall and the diagonal balls in to the left corner, causing us grief and the ease, with getting around the back of our defence was primitive.....I can't believe, it continued, un abated.

by this time, we was getting panicky and flaky, and we all know, penalties or ricochets happen, when it gets like that.

This team of ours has some good passing moves, but no backbone...too many waiting for someone else to do the ugly work.....it needs a rebuild.....with the right building blocks.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, onmeedson said:

To many of these players are lightweight mercenaries who will get any manager the sack, lack of fight, easily moved of the ball and sulk if the opposition will not let them play. We badly need new players with some loyalty, grit and commitment at this club . Good luck Emery your only hope is new recruits.

Maybe bring Targett back, he doesn’t seem to be good enough for Howe anymore.

52 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

You can say all you like about our players, they are no worse than that Newcastle team. The only difference is I saw is work rate. Newcastle never stopped, we gave it up in the second half, weather it was due to fitness, or discipline. I'm confident Emery will sort it, an if he can't, players will be replaced, as its gonna be hard to blame the manager this time!

Spot on.

If he clears out, we need to back him.

We started the more slick, so Newcastle just clattered their way back in, (aided by Tierney) and stopped our play.....when they had secured the physical encounter, they started playing like the top team they currently are.....we had by then surrenderd, and give them the space to play in.

56 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The lady commentator mentioned that Newcastle players look fitter than us.

Aside from that, i've been saying for a while that teams in the Premier League are getting bigger and stronger and we are still relatively small and feeble.

A notion rubbished by some.

Our best actual athletes are probably Mings, Carlos and Dendonker. Ollie is also an incredible athlete but unfortunately, he's not great at actual football alot of the time.

Ultimately, we were blown away by a bigger, stronger team, with better footballers in key areas.

We fought very well in the first half though.

My sentiments too.

This has been a theme for so long now......and not much done, about it.

I hope UE see's it.

• Like 1

Sometime you think it is just a nice cozy  culture at Villa for players to be paid well and bumble along, with world class facilities at hand at Bodymoor. Perhaps under Smith we were too nice on the players, and under Gerrard they basically were unwilling to listen and or fell out with him. We really need Emery to change the culture at the club like what Howe has done at Newcastle in which I admit did not think he had it in him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

However, the writing was on the wall and the diagonal balls in to the left corner, causing us grief and the ease, with getting around the back of our defence was primitive.....I can't believe, it continued, un abated.

by this time, we was getting panicky and flaky, and we all know, penalties or ricochets happen, when it gets like that.

Harsh to criticize Danks, but adjusting to things like that is something a regular manager would have done.

I'm as disappointed as anyone by this result but not really surprised.  Newcastle were full of energy, hungry, competitive and Howe has them really well-organised.  First half I thought we just about matched them and we were unlucky to lose Martinez, then concede a penalty. It all fell apart after the break.  I gave Mings MOTM for several crucial blocks and clearances, without which we could well have shipped a couple more.  The disappointing thing is that, after the second goal, we had no one to bring on who was capable of changing the game.  IMO there is enough in this squad for UE to work with, with a couple of decent additions in January (and some offloading). If he can get us fitter, better-organised and with some ability to break down teams (sadly lacking at present), things could look very much brighter in the New Year.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rustibrooks said:

Newcastle twitter admin adding salt in the wounds by posting a pic from the game with the caption 'Sob on the Tyne'. They seemed to have had this one circled from before. Ah well.

Surprise eh!!!

What comes around, sadly goes around.....we just wasn't ready for it.

4 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Sometime you think it is just a nice cozy  culture at Villa for players to be paid well and bumble along, with world class facilities at hand at Bodymoor. Perhaps under Smith we were too nice on the players, and under Gerrard they basically were unwilling to listen and or fell out with him. We really need Emery to change the culture at the club like what Howe has done at Newcastle in which I admit did not think he had it in him.

I think culture building is what Howe is all about, he’s no football philosopher or tactical genius but has some modern and very effective ideas about building a team and making people enjoy working. I’m sure he’d be successful in the business world as well.

Edited by VillaParkAvenue

Â