• Olsen (Martínez 35)
    • Ramset (Bailey 61)
    • Coutinho (Buendía 61)
    • McGinn (Dendoncker 69)
    • Digne (Cash 69)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/11/22 at 23:59

1 hour ago, thunderball said:

But what gives me hope is: through hard work, good decisions and good coaching, Arsenal are fighting it out at the top of the league. It is still possible despite the mega money means of clubs like Man City and shortly, Newcastle. 

Not getting ahead of myself, but it is entirely plausible that Liverpool could shortly become an also ran, dropping down after a purple patch. We are aiming for that sub top three which is likely to be 5 teams, TBH the top 10 could be very, very competitive if we get our act together. I have to say the PL is so competitive these days, it’s ridiculous.

Very competitive, Leeds just beat Liverpool too. Newcastle have spent a lot of money, but most of their improvement is coaching and hard work as well. Do the right things and don’t jump on a new strategy as soon as things get difficult.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

Still 15th but this team needs a top class player in defence, midfield and attack.

I also hate how smug Callum Wilson is.

Carlos, kamara..  new.

Also, it will help when they have a proper coach.

And we aren't playing a bunch of scumbags every week.

We got beaten up in the first half and Newcastle abused the home protection they got from the crowd pressure making the ref a wet blanket.

Our players didn't fancy getting kicked around second half and without any pressure or leadership they gave up.

Weak willed, but that should all be resolved with Emery coming in.

The shit standard of refereeing isn't going anywhere though and it never seems to favour us.  We need to abuse our home games more. Cheat at throw ins like Newcastle did,  get the crowd booing everything the opposition does to make the ref think they're cheating. 

I feel Emi was a bit of a victim in of his own antics today, very much the boy who cried wolf, but our physios should have known better.

All in all, very crap, but not a surprise and I'm not expecting a repeat of that under Emery.

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 2

lots of premature hysteria in this thread.  One example.  For example.  the criticisim of Konsa.  What exactly did he do wrong?  I thought he and Mings were both outstanding.  

I suppose the train of thought that we were bullied is possibly correct, but to me the biggest difference was speed, not power.  We started matching theim on speed and as the match went on we slowed.  For the last quarter they were first to every ball, every touch, every challenge.  I think we simply tired and they could have kept at 100 miles an hour for another half hour.  It's fitness whether it's speed or strength, but I think it was the speed and quickness that let us dowwn today.   Newcastle was simply flying.  Oh, and the home fans were obnoxious idiots, but obnoxious idiots that were able to influence the thinking of the referee.

3 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Can someone explain the 6 subs thing? Newcastle got a 6th because we used a concussion sub? So does that mean a concussion sub is not part of the 5 subs?

Correct. Concussion is not part of the 5. It's a 6th sub. But so that it's not an advantage to a club in any scenario, they then give a 6th sub to the opposition too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This game was a perfect example of how you can only get so far with allowing players expressing themselves and good vibes.

Games like these you need actual tactics and a gameplan. Zero shots on target.

13 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Second goal killed the game, cheers VAR.

No excuses for the manner of the collapse. Cash and Ollie just aren't going to help us move forward.

True

you've got 2 of them... Konsa too is not for the future, another missed header, clears him...how many times?

The soft underbelly strikes again.

We started well, pushed the ball around with aplomb, missed a few half chances, which we usually do, They was not playing well, by their own admission...so their general form, is a cop out...an excuse to masquerade our true self.

Then the physical contact crept in, they set about stopping us playing and when that task was done, they started playing themselves and we stood off, like the lilly livered souls we are at times.

We then resorted to half hearted challenges, ball watching, and looking at our other players work, no togetherness.....late alerts to close down, the list goes on.

This game showed the dual personality of this team, to a tee.

Close analytics, shows specific players, with clear evidence of shortfalls.....but this is a Culture problem, it's  endemic of the way we play, and its been with us for years...We have been muttering, these things for too long now.

successive managers have failed to root it out....its now firmly set in our DNA, its in our genes....its going to be hard to shift, we can't change the whole team.

This new manager, has to address this,though,  and kill it off, like Knotweed.....I genuinely don't know, whats required, is it just coaching? or will it require surgery? and if so how much...will a few players, need to be called out?

I have for some time had a jaundiced view of our recruitment, and I still think we have first teamers, who I fail to be convinced with.....when I watch, semi pressing, and half hearted, physical contact, I have to question the attitude and mental strength, I see no courage, at times, particulary when we are behind or without the ball....Quite frankly, I have baulked at some of our signings, and not the obvious ones.....I think some of our signings have compounded, not enhanced this soft under belly.

I hope UE can fix it, but I have no idea, how big the task is, to do it.

I don't think one thing will fix it, I think it will take time, and a concerted effort, of a combination of things to get right.

We simply cannot look forward, whilst this team has this Jekyll and Hyde personality......we will be changing managers and players, continually, until we focus on the root cause and fix it.

I don't much care if UE upsets the apple cart, or rocks the boat, maybe it needs just that......I wish him well, but a radical change in mentality, is required.

UTV

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, BOF said:

Correct. Concussion is not part of the 5. It's a 6th sub. But so that it's not an advantage to a club in any scenario, they then give a 6th sub to the opposition too.

Thanks for confirming that. It seems daft to give the other team another substitute though. 

Its a good job the new manager wasn't watching for some of those players, what he will get to see it??? 

I thought that we might lose this by the odd goal, because the £200m dirty money they've thrown at new players has worked wonders and they are now where our club will hope to be in twelve months time, after a similar investment (that this performance made clear we will need). I had really expected the players all to be up for this one, but once again they showed they can turn in a below par performance, hot on the heels of a very good one. It has shown the incoming boss the size of the task that he faces and us that some of the players, as well as our former bosses, have contributed to how this and last season have gone. Emery will learn as much from this game, as he did from last weekend's win.  

13 hours ago, Rigs said:

Like I said before…. The squad is poor! Not premier league standard! 

I don't believe that.......some are, and they manage to get in the first team, too.....but some are ok too....The poor ones, expose the ok ones.

What we have is players, are comfortable with the easy life......great, when its going well.....missing when the chips are down....some are too easily, negated.

I think we have too few players, with the mentality, to be the majority, we have them in their minority.

I also think aerially, we are not competent.....when you see the amount of headed goals, or headers for passages of play, from around the teams we are competing with, we are left wanting.

Our squad is short of crucial attributes, which renders us, samey....too many players, with the same shortfalls.

Our squad needs forensic analysation and rectification.....I hope we now have a manager committed to do it.

Edited by TRO

27 minutes ago, John said:

Its a good job the new manager wasn't watching for some of those players, what he will get to see it??? 

I thought that we might lose this by the odd goal, because the £200m dirty money they've thrown at new players has worked wonders and they are now where our club will hope to be in twelve months time, after a similar investment (that this performance made clear we will need). I had really expected the players all to be up for this one, but once again they showed they can turn in a below par performance, hot on the heels of a very good one. It has shown the incoming boss the size of the task that he faces and us that some of the players, as well as our former bosses, have contributed to how this and last season have gone. Emery will learn as much from this game, as he did from last weekend's win.  

I have no appetite to praise them in any way.....but their spending is one thing.....the way they spend it is another.

I have for some time John, had reservations about the way we spend and what type of players we buy.....In some cases, I am not convinced.

I thought, Coutinho and Digne, was not right at the time, that a more robust,durable type of player would have served us better, ones with skill of course, but when lightweights get negated, they become passengers.

I think some, real thought needs to go in to our next foray, in to the market and get some players in, who can make a difference to what we already offer.....A striker, who can score headed goals and hold off challenges, would be nifty and a new venture in to goal scoring.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, TRO said:

I have no appetite to praise them in any way.....but their spending is one thing.....the way they spend it is another.

I have for some time John, had reservations about the way we spend and what type of players we buy.....In some cases, I am not convinced.

I thought, Coutinho and Digne, was not right at the time, that a more robust,durable type of player would have served us better, ones with skill of course, but when lightweights get negated, they become passengers.

I think some, real thought needs to go in to our next foray, in to the market and get some players in, who can make a difference to what we already offer.....A striker, who can score headed goals and hold off challenges, would be nifty and a new venture in to goal scoring.

Well if it's analysis you want Emery is the manager, he's approach is very detailed. He will have watched us play yesterday and against Brentford. He will know our players strengths and weaknesses. 

The one thing that I noticed yesterday was how Newcastle exposed the space between Ming's and Young, using diagonal balls to great affect. This was obvious an area Howe had highlighted and one I hope Emery would have countered as soon as it became apparent, we just left it to happen time and time again. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tinker said:

Well if it's analysis you want Emery is the manager, he's approach is very detailed. He will have watched us play yesterday and against Brentford. He will know our players strengths and weaknesses. 

The one thing that I noticed yesterday was how Newcastle exposed the space between Ming's and Young, using diagonal balls to great affect. This was obvious an area Howe had highlighted and one I hope Emery would have countered as soon as it became apparent, we just left it to happen time and time again. 

it was clearly an issue....... I was screaming at the TV like a banshee, to do something to counter it.

back to UE

Henry Ford once said....."its not what you know, its more about what you do"

I have no doubt UE knows......I will wait to see what he does....Because that needs urgent attention.

10 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

lots of premature hysteria in this thread.  One example.  For example.  the criticisim of Konsa.  What exactly did he do wrong?  I thought he and Mings were both outstanding.  

I suppose the train of thought that we were bullied is possibly correct, but to me the biggest difference was speed, not power.  We started matching theim on speed and as the match went on we slowed.  For the last quarter they were first to every ball, every touch, every challenge.  I think we simply tired and they could have kept at 100 miles an hour for another half hour.  It's fitness whether it's speed or strength, but I think it was the speed and quickness that let us dowwn today.   Newcastle was simply flying.  Oh, and the home fans were obnoxious idiots, but obnoxious idiots that were able to influence the thinking of the referee.

Newcastle in the early exchanges was not flying.....we had spells of possession and they, was giving us the ball... we were playing some decent football , and the crowd was quite, it was all going to plan...They then bombarded our left over the players, with long balls to test our resolve and Ashley, was being targetted, probably due to his age, and many games, hes played.

For the first, Luiz lost possession in front of the area and Willock capitalised, playing it to Almeron, who was unmarked

They was quicker than us, when we decided to stand off and let them play.....then the initiative was lost....the second was puny play, by a few players and the collapse, was born.

Konsa missed the header on the line that wilson got.....its not the first time either....He has to be better in the air, or position himself better...watch it back.

We cannot be expected to concede goals like that, and expect much else from a game.....Cash was half heated and slow to close down Trippier too, for their second goal.....it's all too easy.

15 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

It’s not a crime to switch off after work, no matter what your job is. That doesn’t mean they don’t give a shit but you can’t expect them to sit at home in a hair shirt crying in the corner all night. 

Yes you can. If I’ve done a bad job at work and consistently keep delivering that bad performance most days - I would sit at home and dwell on it and it would affect how I feel at home. 

Edited by CLARETANDBLUEFOXY

4 hours ago, John said:

Thanks for confirming that. It seems daft to give the other team another substitute though. 

Yep it does. It's to stop teams cheating by faking a concussion.

I think that concussion protocols should be undertaken by a (independant) doctor like the NFL and only when a player fails can the sub be made and they are immediately out for 7 days. This would protect the player and stop cheating

• Like 1

Â