• Olsen (Martínez 35)
    • Ramset (Bailey 61)
    • Coutinho (Buendía 61)
    • McGinn (Dendoncker 69)
    • Digne (Cash 69)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/11/22 at 23:59

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

As others have said, too many mentally weak players there. People like Mings, Konsa, McGinn and Watkins have been here for too long and have never made it into the top half of the league. Time for them to be sold.

I.e. the spine of our team. Totally agree though. 

• Like 1

Ahh well, didn’t expect much different.  Newcastle flying, at home against a managerless Villa who has the ability to play but are like Jekyll and Hyde.  Until Emery gets his hands into them it’s always going to be the same and likely early into his reign until his ideas are in there.  

Peeved off today but after the Brentford game I was a bit worried people might get too excited.  We are still the same side that has been poor under Gerrard.  Today is one to forget.

Now the new era starts from Tuesday under Emery and we need him to work his magic quickly because it’s a big ship to turn around.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spoony said:

I.e. the spine of our team. Totally agree though. 

Even in our best season, we were carried by one player. As soon as he left, we've become a mess. 

• Haha 1

Peak Villa to follow up best result of the season with the worst. McDonald all over again.

Probably about the 59th false dawn I have seen at Villa. On paper we have  fairly decent squad for this division,  yet have largely been dogsh*t for well over a year. 

Players, managers,coach, recruitment, the whole culture at the club? I just don't know. Good luck on Emery in finding that out.

• Haha 1

I'll tell you what's wrong with this group of players - there are too many players that have played at Championship level. Cash from Forest, Konsa from Brentford, Buendia from Norwich, Watkins from Brentford. Mings wasn't getting PL games for a struggling Bournemouth. McGinn came from Hibs, Luiz was playing for Girona in Spain, Ings was at Southampton (lower PL level), Denoncker and Champers came from a better level but were surplus to requirements, Young is 37!

The only top level players we have in our squad are Martinez, Digne, Kamara, Carlos and Coutinho (and even he looks way past it). 

The board needs to throw a lot of money at Emery if they want him to have any chance of success with our club. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

First up, well played Newcastle - we gave them a good contest in the first half, but they had the belief, the ability and the confidence to push on and beat us well. They look a good side and I think they're capable of achieving things this season.

I don't think we need to panic, it's a strange time for the club, there was a 'no-manager' bounce last weekend as the players celebrated seeing the back of Gerrard, but we're working under a really limited coaching team with three guys taking training last week compared to twelve the week before, we don't have a manager or a long term plan right now and we're playing away at one of the sides most in form in the country. It is what it is.

A new era starts Tuesday - today's result is the line we draw under all that went before.

I don't think we're as far away as some seem to think.

Yep, very much this!

Some Newcastle fans saying that's the best all round performance they've ever seen from their side. Lifetime. Let's not get too introspective. Yes there were mistakes, yes some players need to do better, but for 45 minutes we were in it. 

I don't think it'll take Emery long to turn this squad into a team. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

First up, well played Newcastle - we gave them a good contest in the first half, but they had the belief, the ability and the confidence to push on and beat us well. They look a good side and I think they're capable of achieving things this season.

I don't think we need to panic, it's a strange time for the club, there was a 'no-manager' bounce last weekend as the players celebrated seeing the back of Gerrard, but we're working under a really limited coaching team with three guys taking training last week compared to twelve the week before, we don't have a manager or a long term plan right now and we're playing away at one of the sides most in form in the country. It is what it is.

A new era starts Tuesday - today's result is the line we draw under all that went before.

I don't think we're as far away as some seem to think.

It is what it is, OBE, you're right, though I'm not about to join you in congratulating those pricks from the North East. You're a lot more magnanimous than me!

• Haha 2

Just now, sidcow said:

Some proper insane comments in the match thread. 

Many predicted we would have a tough time here and so it proved. 

But again I take positives. Like Man City we've shown in the first half we have the capability to match these top teams, at least for a while. 

We've played really well I spells against Man Citeh, Chelsea and now Newcastle. 

We've just last weak hammered a team above us in the table. 

Let's examine the facts. 

We haven't won't at St James's Park for years, it's a proper bogey ground for us. 

Newcastle were 4th at the start of play and have been flying. 

We're under a caretaker who is miles away from being a proper managed. 

We matched them, and in fact probably shaded the first half till undone by a penalty. 

Some of the VAR decisions looked well dodgy. 

Yes, heads dropped after the second went in but there is loads there for Emery to work with. The bones of a really good team are there. 

I hate that we collapsed but it's not the end of the world. Onwards to The Emery years. 

Thought - out post.

7 minutes ago, Xela said:

As others have said, too many mentally weak players there. People like Mings, Konsa, McGinn and Watkins have been here for too long and have never made it into the top half of the league. Time for them to be sold.

Signal boosting this, absolutely right.

• Like 2

Didn’t see all of the first half but we were ok , second half it all fell apart The Newcastle players looked well up for it a team full of confidence. Biggest difference between the two sides is coaching and nothing more one sides been coach for a year the other hasn’t. Let’s not forget Howe didn’t win a game until January after his appointment last season. Let’s put this behind us and look forward to what the new manager brings.

Just trying to stay positive, I guess these couple of matches allow UE a chance to see the good, the bad and the ugly of the current state of the squad. 

Plus 4-0 defeat didn't really cause too much damage in the league table so far, unless Liverpool is to **** it up against leeds

Edited by HongKongVillan
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

I'll tell you what's wrong with this group of players - there are too many players that have played at Championship level. Cash from Forest, Konsa from Brentford, Buendia from Norwich, Watkins from Brentford. Mings wasn't getting PL games for a struggling Bournemouth. McGinn came from Hibs, Luiz was playing for Girona in Spain, Ings was at Southampton (lower PL level), Denoncker and Champers came from a better level but were surplus to requirements, Young is 37!

The only top level players we have in our squad are Martinez, Digne, Kamara, Carlos and Coutinho (and even he looks way past it). 

The board needs to throw a lot of money at Emery if they want him to have any chance of success with our club. 

Last week the narrative was that we had good players who were being poorly managed by Gerrard. This week it is that our players are championship quality. I think we are a very reactionary fan base (although last week I said we weren't! ). 

Edited by Made In Aston
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, striker said:

Emery really has his work cut out to keep Villa in the Premiership and I’m not sure he’s good enough to do it?

Villa need a new midfield with the exception of Kamara. Defence needs a total rebuild and so does the forward line.

100m won’t do it in January. Double that will be needed for a new team and that won’t happen over just one window.

Very worrying times for the Villa.

Who are you? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Â