• Olsen (Martínez 35)
    • Ramset (Bailey 61)
    • Coutinho (Buendía 61)
    • McGinn (Dendoncker 69)
    • Digne (Cash 69)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/11/22 at 23:59

6 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Sometime you think it is just a nice cozy  culture at Villa for players to be paid well and bumble along, with world class facilities at hand at Bodymoor. Perhaps under Smith we were too nice on the players, and under Gerrard they basically were unwilling to listen and or fell out with him. We really need Emery to change the culture at the club like what Howe has done at Newcastle in which I admit did not think he had it in him.

Spot on 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Zeb74 said:

I'm as disappointed as anyone by this result but not really surprised.  Newcastle were full of energy, hungry, competitive and Howe has them really well-organised.  First half I thought we just about matched them and we were unlucky to lose Martinez, then concede a penalty. It all fell apart after the break.  I gave Mings MOTM for several crucial blocks and clearances, without which we could well have shipped a couple more.  The disappointing thing is that, after the second goal, we had no one to bring on who was capable of changing the game.  IMO there is enough in this squad for UE to work with, with a couple of decent additions in January (and some offloading). If he can get us fitter, better-organised and with some ability to break down teams (sadly lacking at present), things could look very much brighter in the New Year.

There hasn't been anyone to really change the game, for some time.....not proper, change...players too similar.

Without Mings 6/7...

.I thought the defence was shabby, today.

I would have taken a 0-0.....so I found it hard to blame the offensive players, even though they was pants.

I couldn't believe how open we was, even when we was playing the better football, in the early spell......far too open, and it got worse.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

They will get better over time but they will also run into trouble at some point. All clubs do. The core of their team is 8-10 fairly average players playing the best football of their lives, that won’t last forever.

They said that about us in 1980-82

16 minutes ago, bielesibub said:

@nick76 nah, I think in my roundabout way I was supporting the posters on these pages who dared suggest the players have more than a hand/foot in how poor we are. </endOf>

Oh I agree that the players have a hand in how poor we are there is no doubt about that but my main and first issue is a big part and that is coaching and the other part is the players.

Once we get the coaching right then we can see which players are up for it and which aren’t and I think more than a few will be found lacking but a good number will bounce back.  Without good coaching they all look shit and that can’t be the case can it.  Let’s get Emery in, do his assessment, get them playing and then he can assess who makes the grade.  

Gerrard and his coaching staff were poor, we’ve had just a few left over on an interim, Emery comes in Tuesday likely with a raft of coaches and need a bit of time to suss it all out and assess.

3 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

4-0 win to 4-0 loss with zero shots in a game 😕

Unai perfect chance to gain the momentum back at home next week. Villa Park will be well up for it lets hope for happy baptism of fire

There has to be a coach, who can see the rationale behind such a stark distinction between games.......our games are whacking great peaks and troughs.

something is drastically wrong in our make up....and needs fixing, Pronto.

11 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Sometime you think it is just a nice cozy  culture at Villa for players to be paid well and bumble along, with world class facilities at hand at Bodymoor. Perhaps under Smith we were too nice on the players, and under Gerrard they basically were unwilling to listen and or fell out with him. We really need Emery to change the culture at the club like what Howe has done at Newcastle in which I admit did not think he had it in him.

I have suspected this for sometime....but for it to happen, the club and the fan base have to unite, behind the manager.

This is not a comment, to back track......The past, is the past.

UE has to be given the licence and Authority to make sweeping changes....we have to back him...even if unsavoury moves are made.

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

There hasn't been anyone to really change the game, for some time.....not proper, change...players too similar.

Without Mings 6/7...

.I thought the defence was shabby, today.

I would have taken a 0-0.....so I found it hard to blame the offensive players, even though they was pants.

I couldn't believe how open we was, even when we was playing the better football, in the early spell......far too open, and it got worse.

Danks was basically the attacking coach, before his brief promotion, so I suppose this isn’t a huge surprise. 

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Oh I agree that the players have a hand in how poor we are there is no doubt about that but my main and first issue is a big part and that is coaching and the other part is the players.

Once we get the coaching right then we can see which players are up for it and which aren’t and I think more than a few will be found lacking but a good number will bounce back.  Without good coaching they all look shit and that can’t be the case can it.  Let’s get Emery in, do his assessment, get them playing and then he can assess who makes the grade.  

Gerrard and his coaching staff were poor, we’ve had just a few left over on an interim, Emery comes in Tuesday likely with a raft of coaches and need a bit of time to suss it all out and assess.

The thing is Nick.....as one example, If he decides the team need to be fitter and demands more running, and a few disenters start shenanighans.....we have to back the manager, now.

We need to back this guy.....He will know whats required and we have to trust him.

Personally, I see some, I wouldn't run with.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think you are looking at some aspects of the game, and not others....we started out the better team, but once our achilles heel is exposed, (Soft underbelly)......BOOM.

They are all bogey teams, when you don't compete physically.. ..We were out muscled, by a team, far more focused on that aspect of the game

We can play, when we are allowed to....this team didn't allow us to....off the ball we was low grade, we like to be on it, and we are better.....once we yielded the initiative ( after the penalty, which was coming to be fair) we offered them space to play in, and thats when they come in to their own.

In a nutshell, we are too easy to play against, and have been for yonks.....He has to be given Licence to change that, else we are heading in the wrong direction.

That was not a bogey, or a one-off, or a bad day at the office or any other excuse......That is currently in our DNA.

Lets hope UE can change it, else we are in big trouble.

We were smashed by a much better team who have benefitted from 12 months excellent coaching. 

We will get there. Most people want the whole squad changed because they're all shit apparently. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, vreitti said:

You talk a lot of sense, but the highlighed bit needs some serious revising mate. 

You've highlighted those words but ignored the following "at least for a while" 

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

I have suspected this for sometime....but for it to happen, the club and the fan base have to unite, behind the manager.

This is not a comment, to back track......The past, is the past.

UE has to be given the licence and Authority to make sweeping changes....we have to back him...even if unsavoury moves are made.

I think the owners can see this and there is definitely an appetite to do this. You could almost see Emery as their first real appointment. Bruce obvious had to go and Dean was a pretty obvious choice, given that we were languishing in the lower half of the Championship with only the slimmest of hopes of making the play offs. A couple of minor miracles later and we were looking to change up. I’d say that appointment appears to have been hijacked by Purslow’s little project. It was an experiment that failed and now here we are, the owners appear to have stepped in and we have a genuinely elite European manager. Now we need to make the most of it and I’m sure that they’ll do everything that they can to do this. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

We were smashed by a much better team who have benefitted from 12 months excellent coaching. 

We will get there. Most people want the whole squad changed because they're all shit apparently. 

We have a dual personality as a team, that has to be addressed.

We are like a beautiful flower, in bloom, which everyone admires and as soon as the wind blows, it breaks off and left with a stem.

We are very good, in some aspects......and dog breath in other aspects.

It depends what the beholder is looking at.

Anyone else notice that every time the ball went out for a Newcastle throw the ball boy immediately tossed a new ball to a player 10 yards further up the pitch than where it went out.  It's obviously been rehearsed, as there was always a player in position to receive it from the ball boy.  It should not be allowed as it's a very unfair advantage.      In some cases it amounts to allowing them to advance the ball past one of our lines instantaneously.  Players get the ball themselves and walk 10 yards up the pitch all the time, but at least then the defenders have a chance to get back.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Danks was basically the attacking coach, before his brief promotion, so I suppose this isn’t a huge surprise. 

He couldn't change the personnel to any great shakes anyway, Dave, so I guess, he was stuck with it.

I am not blaming him, just observations......but while he is an attacking coach, by designation, they knew how to defend last week.

All coaches know how a football team, should look, even if they have designated roles....he's been around a bit.

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I totally back him, if he wants to ship them all out then so be it, if he wants to keep all of them then so be it.  

Obviously it’ll be somewhere in between but I’m just going to put my trust in him given his CV and what I’ve seen of him and that means he has free reign in my eyes.  

After Jack went I lost my need to back individual players, I actually don’t care about individual players, I care about the team so I have no loyalty to any of the players now individually.  

I have opinions on each player obviously but if Emery wants to ditch a player I think is good then I will back him and vice versa.  

I care less about the players and only about the progression of the Villa now.  I’m putting my trust in Emery and I hope he repays it and to that end I’ll trust any decision he making.  

I think this group of players are better than what Gerrard got out of them and better than today.  They are a mid table squad.  I know there are plenty of issues but I’ll like to see them after some good coaching, tactics and cohesion.  Obviously we need some shipped out and better brought in, and some balancing of the squad in many different traits and abilities.

Much how I feel.

This team/squad right now have a dual personality for me....just my observation.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Well, that bubble burst real quick.

After the Brentford match Emery must have thought, ``This is going to be easy''.

He knows better now.

well, He met Dr Jeykll last Sunday.

Now, he's met Mr Hyde, today.

He needs to chase, Mr Hyde out of town.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I think it’s not that people think they are all shit although some are far from good enough at present (mcginn and Watkins) but I think it’s the attitude or mindset some of the players have that people can’t stomach and makes us want to get rid of them. The new managerial set up will be the best some of these players will ever have so if they can’t be motivated to work for this guy then they need to go.

Â