• Olsen (Martínez 35)
    • Ramset (Bailey 61)
    • Coutinho (Buendía 61)
    • McGinn (Dendoncker 69)
    • Digne (Cash 69)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/11/22 at 23:59

On 29/10/2022 at 17:01, jacketspuds said:

Still 15th but this team needs a top class player in defence, midfield and attack.

I also hate how smug Callum Wilson is.

I agree, but I'd still love to see him playing for us.  We need some 'nasty' in the team.

11 hours ago, TRO said:

I don't believe that.......some are, and they manage to get in the first team, too.....but some are ok too....The poor ones, expose the ok ones.

What we have is players, are comfortable with the easy life......great, when its going well.....missing when the chips are down....some are too easily, negated.

I think we have too few players, with the mentality, to be the majority, we have them in their minority.

I also think aerially, we are not competent.....when you see the amount of headed goals, or headers for passages of play, from around the teams we are competing with, we are left wanting.

Our squad is short of crucial attributes, which renders us, samey....too many players, with the same shortfalls.

Our squad needs forensic analysation and rectification.....I hope we now have a manager committed to do it.

What ever makes you feel comfortable. Results and stats show otherwise.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, TheFish said:

Back and still in peace.

First off I've not read the thread, but I hope everyone who made the trip up to Newcastle had a good time regardless of the result. Glad to see Villa fans on twitter speaking positively about the city and the welcome. Came up in numbers, made a good amount of noise and most stayed until the end. 

First half was really stop start and I think that was by design. Keeps the crowd quiet and the disruptions stop the home team really getting going. We really only settled into any kind of rhythm in the second half. 

Genuinely thought Martinez was trying to slow the game down with a bit of time wasting, was only when he got subbed that I worked out he'd been concussed. Protocols need improving on that regard in my opinion. It's dangerous to stay on and I think what Shearer said on MOTD was spot on, have a temporary substitution while a proper 10 minute assessment is conducted.

Anyway, like I said, hope everyone who travelled enjoyed their day (as much as possible), and under Emery I'm sure there'll be brighter days ahead for you.

Congratulations!!

but, Why do you think the game changed in the second half?

I thought we acquitted ourselves, well in the first half....and was equal to Newcastle.....There was a sea change, in the second half, why do you think that was?

Not won there since 2005 so I kinda expected to lose.

St. James Park is an intimidating place when they are up for it and honestly think we ourselves should take some inspiration from their crowd.

Some people may well disagree but imo we are too nice. Should shout and whistle at opposition players and the ref for every decision going against us.

Need to become a very hostile crowd.

That Spurs fan on talksport saying he was annoyed we beat up Brentford and claiming it was disrespectful towards Gerrard and that players downed tools.

Recon he is happy now and that the players should pat themselves on the back for showing respect to Gerrard by losing 4-0 to Newcastle.

Edited by Pinebro

On 31/10/2022 at 17:50, TRO said:

Congratulations!!

but, Why do you think the game changed in the second half?

I thought we acquitted ourselves, well in the first half....and was equal to Newcastle.....There was a sea change, in the second half, why do you think that was?

First half I think Danks had you playing to break up play, quieten the crowd, disrupt the rhythm and it was working for the most part. We were still getting some opportunities, but they weren't regular and often from set pieces. You were getting into good positions on the counter, but our defence has been excellent and yours was the second game this season where Pope didn't have a save to make.

Then the penalty. Once we won and scored that it meant you had to stop the stop-start and try and chase a goal, which kind of plays into our hands. I also think Howe started to use the flanks a little more in the second half, but I have nothing to back that up other than my admittedly hazy recollection. 

I also think you tired in the second half, where we still had gas in the tank. I'd argue that's because perhaps Gerrard didn't work on conditioning as much as perhaps he should. Certainly less than Emery will. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TheFish said:

First half I think Danks had you playing to break up play, quieten the crowd, disrupt the rhythm and it was working for the most part. We were still getting some opportunities, but they weren't regular and often from set pieces. You were getting into good positions on the counter, but our defence has been excellent and yours was the second game this season where Pope didn't have a save to make.

Then the penalty. Once we won and scored that it meant you had to stop the stop-start and try and chase a goal, which kind of plays into our hands. I also think Howe started to use the flanks a little more in the second half, but I have nothing to back that up other than my admittedly hazy recollection. 

I also think you tired in the second half, where we still had gas in the tank. I'd argue that's because perhaps Gerrard didn't work on conditioning as much as perhaps he should. Certainly less than Emery will. 

Thanks, I agree.I saw it much the same as you.

but we have been, short on energy, for some time, now, even before SG.....we are not the most enthusiastic bunch for running without the ball...well, not in every game.

The penalty sure changed the mood, but you was gradually winning the initiative, just before that.....It was a result of poor defending and creating panic in the ranks.

Anyway, best of luck for the season.....and break up that Sneaky 6.

Â