Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Seriously, someone needs to make a list of all the records Emery has broken at Villa, i think i have lost count, but that aside, it would be nice to keep track for posterity.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, beasley14 said:

I actually think the opposite, he was restrained because he was 1) angry but 2) knew we'd played under our level but berating the players at this stage of the season achieves nothing.  We've had a great season and sealed 5th already, he was right to focus on the positive for the players sake imo, they've given there all this season. 

I think he was just very passive aggressive - it was quite funny - but I liked seeing it, it showed that despite what he was saying he’s not blind to the fact that we were shit!

7 minutes ago, GeordieVillan said:

I think he was just very passive aggressive - it was quite funny - but I liked seeing it, it showed that despite what he was saying he’s not blind to the fact that we were shit!

Oh totally, he was fuming but refused to call out the players or say it wasn't good.  Clearly knew it though and gave very short answers which isn't like him.  

Will he win manager of the year? He should but will he actually get it? If we win the conference league I think he will but if city do the double pep will probably get it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Will he win manager of the year? He should but will he actually get it? If we win the conference league I think he will but if city do the double pep will probably get it. 

he deserves it, but he wont get it.

11 hours ago, villa89 said:

They almost always just give it to the manager who wins the league, with 1 exception in the past decade

11 hours ago, villa89 said:

If he delivers top 4 and wins the Europa Conference then I cannot see how, even with big club bias, he can't win manager of the year.

Maybe other trophies don't come into it I guess. But even with the league achievement in isolation, it's hard to see how another manager could have had a better season.

If Arteta wins the league with Arsenal then I see how he would probably win it (even though there would be a legit argument that it's not as good as our achievement)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Davkaus said:

They almost always just give it to the manager who wins the league, with 1 exception in the past decade

If Pep gets it over Unai for winning less than he did last year with a squad that is probably double ours in value, i'm not even sure what the point is of having the award.

58 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

If Pep gets it over Unai for winning less than he did last year with a squad that is probably double ours in value, i'm not even sure what the point is of having the award.

Agreed. If Arteta wins the league then I could stomach that. I still wouldn't agree to be honest. But I'd "get" it.

If Pep wins it over Unai then it's bullshit

• Like 1

On 27/04/2024 at 21:57, daggy_333 said:

Not really one to criticise Emery, however I feel he set us up far too defensively tonight.

I am not saying you are wrong, but just offering an alternative view.

When a team can't get the ball, for a numbers of reasons, there is a tendency to retreat.......whether its by design or not, it's a natural instinct.

I am unsure, where the blame lies.....other than the eye test and the stats tell us, we had 28-30% possession....that's unusual at home.....why I don't know.....but we didn't engage with them and stood off....some say maintaining our shape, ok I get that too.

but If you allow teams to dictate play, by not challenging them, or not going after them, you surrender the initiative and subsequently, their confidence grows......and if you do go after them, you have to win your share of duels.

In many cases,they then, overwhelm you with, pressure, until you crack.

I don't believe, Unai Emery was expecting that.....happy to criticise him, if it's warranted.....not sure its is.

I saw too many players off it.....and dining out on the 2 goal lead and Chelsea was having none of it......why? not sure.

In this league, you have to do many things, and competing is one......if you don't, and coast, or play in a passive manner, you are liable to get dumped on your rear.

All the teams, even the bottom ones......are willing to fight and scrap, and they can easily overcome a team, that don't fancy it......We have even seen it in domestic cup competitions.....superior talent, does not always bail you out, on its own.

• Like 1

On 27/04/2024 at 23:23, Stevo985 said:

Said before the game that sometimes teams just have another team’s number. A bit like us with Arsenal maybe. 

All 3 previous games against Chelsea this season they’ve felt like the better team, despite our contrasting fortunes overall. 

Tonight felt like more of the same. Whatever it is, Chelsea just know how to play against us this season

I think the 1-0 at the bridge was a very very tight game that we slightly shaded. But the others even last season they’ve created so many chances to win ten games. 

Don Unai will work it out. 

23 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Seriously, someone needs to make a list of all the records Emery has broken at Villa, i think i have lost count, but that aside, it would be nice to keep track for posterity.

I've got one.....we are in line to conceding more goals since, the 2019/20 season, where we finished 17th.

shut up!!!!!!!!!!! just kidding..................................i think.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

we would need to know the criteria for winning it.....is it a points system? 

Â