Unai Emery

PeterSw

46 minutes ago, JoshVilla said:

I think Emery will have learned a lot tonight. The issue is, we were relying on our entire squad to see us through what is (hopefully) going to be a very busy schedule. Some of the players tonight just looked like they didn't want to be there, which is a real kick in the teeth when we were all buzzing for what was our first competitive fixture in Europe for over a decade (Yes, Hibs was Europe but I'm talking an actual competitive game on the continent).

The 2 changes in defence was a really odd decision, but I'm sure Emery will feel that his faith in that back 4 was misplaced and we'll go for a more settled defence in the next one.

Don't really get why he rested Pau. He's looked dodgy in the prem but this competition he dominated with Villareal so you'd think starting him in this would be a good way to raise his confidence.

Cash going back to Poland aswell....baffled why he didn't start.

Should've rested just one of Ollie and Diaby.

I get Chelsea is coming but nothing is decided if you don't win a premier league game in September. We've now complicated this group so prem matches after the final two rounds are probably going to be impacted more now.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me - Unai needs to ask himself a very difficult question on how he wants to play when it's not his starting XI.

The very basics is that the 3-2 block of Chambers, Konsa, Lenglet, Tielemans, and Kamara are glacially slow except for Konsa. All managers are stubborn but expecting to roll out that back 5 rest defense and then being upset that they're overran is not smart.

At some point you have to find out what the rest of the squad looks like.  I think Unai learned a couple things that will be applied to the future. That team should have been strong enough but the starters let the manager down.  Konsa, Digne, Mcginn and Kamara were all disappointing. 

• Like 1

EVERYONE involved takes responsibility...

Emery picked he team and we looked a shambles, it's called balance.

I said as did others we should have played a full strength team to get off to a solid start then we could have rested players later in the group stage. Now we are playing catch up.

But the players looked half-a*s*d

Just got the team selection wrong for me. Cash, Pau and one of Diaby/Watkins should've started for continuity and experience.

Positive for me is a manager of Emery's calibre really gets it wrong twice in a row. Big feature of his reign so far is when we've lost a match convincingly or poorly we've pretty much always responded the next game so I expect the same again.

I am not going in on UE....He knows more than anyone, things are not right.

After the wobble of last season, Arsenal, Man city, Leicester, where we shipped 11 goals.....we tightened up and went on an impressive run of durable performances.

Sadly, I haven't seen those durable performances this season....Pre-season was a bit questionable for me, but I just gave it the benefit of the doubt....but this soft underbelly, this easy to play against style, has me concerned.

For what I have seen in pre season and this season so far.....I am not convinced, with what I have witnessed....will it change? I have no idea, we'll have to wait and see.....but I am pretty sure, he has his work cut out.

2 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

EVERYONE involved takes responsibility...

Emery picked he team and we looked a shambles, it's called balance.

I said as did others we should have played a full strength team to get off to a solid start then we could have rested players later in the group stage. Now we are playing catch up.

But the players looked half-a*s*d

Thats the worry.

7 hours ago, jim said:

Like the last two away games we lost?

You mean against 2 of last season's top 5?

We've seen last year after the Leicester/Arsenal/City defeats that he can turn around slumps like this. Our home form was rubbish and now we're on 10 in a row.

Anyone else think there is something odd about this quote? It’s like he’s saying he believes in the squad whilst finishing the sentence saying the opposite. I think the context is that he’s trying to make the point that he’s experienced starting your strongest 11 in European games and still losing. But surely he knows that defence would be shaky having never played together before. 

He said pre season, league will always be the main focus. He made that point in his selection tonight.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Anyone else think there is something odd about this quote? It’s like he’s saying he believes in the squad whilst finishing the sentence saying the opposite. I think the context is that he’s trying to make the point that he’s experienced starting your strongest 11 in European games and still losing. But surely he knows that defence would be shaky having never played together before. 

He said pre season, league will always be the main focus. He made that point in his selection tonight.

I think he’s just trying to defend the players publicly. Behind the scenes there will be a few harsh words spoken. 

I’m not overly worried, Unai is a top coach who has more chance than anyone we can realistically get of putting things right. We will lose games this season, just like we did last and if we can finish 7th again I’d be relatively pleased with that. 

The defence has been hit hard with the loss of Mings, Moreno and Carlos to an extent. It’s going to take time to get it functioning properly again, Pau needs to settle in to the pace of the league and we really need a better RB to support Cash. I think we’ll see a marked improvement once Moreno’s back and up to speed. We’re missing much needed pace and he brings that. Carlos will bring the steel. 

Last night was such a disappointment, we’re used to that as Villa fans, aren’t we? It was the right thing to make some changes but I think Unai made too many on this occasion, and was too slow to rectify it. We lost the game because we had no control at all, not something you associate with Emery’s teams. But Tielemans, Kamara and McGinn were very ineffective. Then you’ve got the Legia attack exposing the slow back line at will. We needed to get control back but never did. On paper, and technically (Chambers excluded) we should have had enough to be able to beat them, had the players applied themselves with 100%, and had Emery made changes to the midfield and RB sooner. 

I hope this is a lesson for everyone involved and we go on a good run of form similar to last season. Let’s see, it’s early days and we’ve got almost a full season to go. 

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

One thing is for sure, the way Emery has set us up this season we will 100% lose both games to West Ham. Teams who are quick and direct with their counter attacks and happy to soak up pressure and be physical. 

We seem unstoppable at home though.

If a decent side like West Ham decides to give up possession and treat us and set up like we're Liverpool and Man City Emery has already succeeded.

We just need the players to take advantage of having the majority of possession.

We will get there. Just need to stay patient.

• Like 1

Â