Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

The main reason I’m glad we won against Palace is just I don’t think I can handle the Villa fans turning against Emery. He’s one of the best managers in the world. If he can’t do it for us, no one can and I think I’d be the most despondent as I could be as a Villa fan if he goes on a bad run and is hounded out. 

Can you seriously envisage a scenario where Unai Emery is hounded out by the fans? 

2 hours ago, Spoony said:

The main reason I’m glad we won against Palace is just I don’t think I can handle the Villa fans turning against Emery. He’s one of the best managers in the world. If he can’t do it for us, no one can and I think I’d be the most despondent as I could be as a Villa fan if he goes on a bad run and is hounded out. 

They will turn eventually. 

They always do.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, turvontour said:

One of the great things about Emery, and I dont know whether he does it unintentionally or the team are set up to do it, but we hardly draw any games at all. And therefore you give yourself plenty of opportunity for a big win ratio and masses of points.

I've personally always had a problem with draws in the premier league because draws are far closer to losing a game than winning one, and the general perception doesnt seem to be that. As if it's a share of the spoils, which it isnt. I'm less fussed when we lose under Emery than I used to be under previous managers. 

We must have had about 3 draws since Emery has arrived in all competitions. 

We’re currently on 4 draws with Unai, all in the league (Wolves, West Ham, Brentford, Liverpool). Four draws from 30 league games, 34 games in all competitions.

I had been wondering about our apparent lack of draws under Unai, but since returning to the top flight we don’t really draw that many.

19/20 - 8

20/21 - 7 

21/22 - 6

22/23 - 7

I find it slightly tricky to analyse and compare with other teams without simply concluding the good teams don’t tend to draw much because they often win and the bad teams don’t tend to draw because they often lose. FWIW over those seasons we have been closer to the lower end of number of draws compared to other clubs.

Looking a bit more historically, if you compare the number of draws we picked under MON, particularly the top six seasons as that’s about where we’re aiming for, the numbers are higher - drawing 12, 11 and 13 games.

2 hours ago, Spoony said:

Agree with you are saying in addition I’d say that Villa fans have to use their brain too and we have to back him for the long term. Look at how Arsenal have benefited from the work Don Unai started. The same process will take time with us.

Losing Mings and Buendia is massive for us. Mings is the leader at the back and Buendia is the leader of the press. 

6 hours ago, turvontour said:

One of the great things about Emery, and I dont know whether he does it unintentionally or the team are set up to do it, but we hardly draw any games at all. And therefore you give yourself plenty of opportunity for a big win ratio and masses of points.

I've personally always had a problem with draws in the premier league because draws are far closer to losing a game than winning one, and the general perception doesnt seem to be that. As if it's a share of the spoils, which it isnt. I'm less fussed when we lose under Emery than I used to be under previous managers. 

We must have had about 3 draws since Emery has arrived in all competitions. 

For me it’s a case of win as many games as you can and then the ones you can’t win don’t lose.

53 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

For me it’s a case of win as many games as you can and then the ones you can’t win don’t lose.

Maybe, or view draws and losses as near enough the same thing. I think the Arsenal home game of last season was a good example of that. 

55 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Do you not though? We are a fickle fan base. I think all fan bases are but I think we are slightly worse as we suffer from once being very successful but we forget we haven’t been successful for the best part of 40 years. Yet the expectations are high regardless and the fan base gets impatient very quickly.

Give it a 3 game losing streak and calls for his head will begin. 

Maybe from a very small minority. 

I think even the more boneheaded elements of the support can see we have a good thing going on here.

2 hours ago, Condimentalist said:

Can you seriously envisage a scenario where Unai Emery is hounded out by the fans? 

Yes.

Some fans will always turn. They'll turn on the owners at some point as well. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Xela said:

Yes.

Some fans will always turn. They'll turn on the owners at some point as well. 

Yeah, everyone who's followed this club (or indeed any club) for a decent period of time knows how things go.

For the time being, though, I don't think there's been a Villa manager in my lifetime who's had the level of support Emery does.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Spoony said:

Fans ain't turning on Emery.

Players should know this. There is nowhere for them to hide anymore.

Â