Unai Emery

PeterSw

4 hours ago, Pinebro said:

If a decent side like West Ham decides to give up possession and treat us and set up like we're Liverpool and Man City Emery has already succeeded.

We just need the players to take advantage of having the majority of possession.

We will get there. Just need to stay patient.

I agree. No excuses for the manner of the defeat but fully trust Unai to get it right and learn from this. It's a humbling night. 

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, it's twice now that we have played the backup side for a cup game under Emery and lost. We have had all summer to add to the squad depth so we can compete on all fronts however yesterday suggested that might be harder than we thought.

Everton will fancy their chances if we play a similar side next week.

4 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Unfortunately, it's twice now that we have played the backup side for a cup game under Emery and lost. We have had all summer to add to the squad depth so we can compete on all fronts however yesterday suggested that might be harder than we thought.

Everton will fancy their chances if we play a similar side next week.

Lost 2 key starters to injury right as the season began.  Sometimes life deals you a crap hand. Unai is trying build a competitive squad but it definitely remains to be seen whether he has the tools to get it done. 

He has to be given time to figure out what works and what doesn't.  What we don't want is a MON plan where you just run the first 11 into the ground and end the season moving backwards. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rightdm00 said:

He has to be given time to figure out what works and what doesn't.  What we don't want is a MON plan where you just run the first 11 into the ground and end the season moving backwards. 

I think this is key. Emery has to find a way of utilising the squad over the season, without weakening us.

• Like 1

Emery added: “We made some mistakes, not usually tactical mistakes, but I spoke with the players, it was a small accident. We will analyse and react to improve the mistakes we did yesterday.

“The players, they are as well very excited for the Conference League and we are going to play another five matches. Everything that happened yesterday was to learn and to build the team in the way we want. There was a small tactical mistake and it is my responsibility to work on it.

Good thing about Emery is he will readily change the personnel and system if it isn’t working. 

Much like Stevenage of last year, many of the players that featured in that game got severely reduced roles afterwards. Man management the ugly side of being a coach but necessary. 

Sorry to beat the same drum - but I still don’t think he knows his best 11- how could any manager know, not with the crap luck we have had with injuries and the new signings.

For me - the second half of this season will be very enjoyable, I expect the starting 11 for most games will be settled. Clearly Europe will impact this, but by and large I think we will see his thinking.

I have total faith that the best is yet to come.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChesterDad said:

Sorry to beat the same drum - but I still don’t think he knows his best 11- how could any manager know, not with the crap luck we have had with injuries and the new signings.

For me - the second half of this season will be very enjoyable, I expect the starting 11 for most games will be settled. Clearly Europe will impact this, but by and large I think we will see his thinking.

I am a bit confused by this. I accept that injuries have stopped us fielding the best 11. However, from what is left, Chambers and Lenglet are definitely not in the ‘best 11’ nor arguably is Tielmans. I also believe things will improve in the 2nd half but I do not have ‘total faith’. We are still too inconsistent

23 hours ago, DJBOB said:

For me - Unai needs to ask himself a very difficult question on how he wants to play when it's not his starting XI.

The very basics is that the 3-2 block of Chambers, Konsa, Lenglet, Tielemans, and Kamara are glacially slow except for Konsa. All managers are stubborn but expecting to roll out that back 5 rest defense and then being upset that they're overran is not smart.

The set up is fine in games where we control possession, but this high line in the rest of the games is too risky with our defence. 

15 hours ago, ChesterDad said:

Does anybody?....I know I don't.

11 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Great to see Unai take ownership of his tactical mistakes. We will be stronger from the lessons he and the squad learn. 

Yes, thats the most reassuring bit for me....He sees his mistakes, and admits it.

No one is infallible....I think Pep made a balls of that one Euro final. They have so many factors to balance, it can happen.

However, we can talk styles, tactics, line -ups to death......but we have to stop shipping goals, that has to be a priority address.

Even some of the football Avant Garders , would have to recognise that.

• Like 2

On 22/09/2023 at 09:31, The Fun Factory said:

I think that is a little unfair. You imagine that team on Thursday and replace some of the players with Mings, Carlos, Buendia, Ramsey and Moreno. Or even just 2 or 3 of those starting.

We have a very good squad. During the game the other night the commentators continually mentioned how strong our squad is this season. Unfortunately though that squad has been missing, for pretty much the whole start to the season, four week in week out starters in Mings, Emi, Ramsey and Moreno. 

On top of missing players through injury we have also been trying to bed in five new players. I think in the forward positions you can get away with introducing players more quickly but defensively, where partnerships and understandings, which are crucial in that position, take time to build I'd imagine the intention was that Torres would be introduced slowly over the first few weeks of the season not be elevated to first choice starter within 30 minutes of the season starting. You then throw in the fact that Carlos has started only a handful of games for us, is just back from a long term injury, and is now out again, and that Lenglet is just through the door, then I don't think it should surprise anyone that defensively we have looked a mess at times. 

I am under no illusions it is going to take time for things to click and we get back to the consistent level of performance we showed in the last third of last season. Just as it took time when Emery first arrived for us to achieve those consistent levels. 

I am though supremely confident we will get back to those levels of consistency and the reasons for that are simple. Firstly we have a very good squad of players and secondly we have an excellent manager. All that is needed now is time for those new players that have come in to build understandings/on pitch relationships with their new team mates, and the manager to drill into them what he wants, and for us to have a little more luck with injuries which hopefully is happening with Moreno, Ramsey and Carlos all back. Give it a  little bit of time and we'll be fine. 

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 4

Â