Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 29/11/2023 at 09:58, tomsky_11 said:

If Emery's 38 games to date had been contained in one season, it would be the 6th most successful when compared to our previous 109 top flight seasons in terms of ppg, when equalising all seasons to 3 points for a win. If we can maintain out current run rate this season so far, it would rank 3rd, only behind the back-to-back titles of 1896/97 and 1895/96.

We've had 7 previous top flight seasons at 2ppg or more (when equalised to 3 point wins):

1. 1896/97 - 2.27 (30 games, finished 1st)

2. 1895/96 - 2.17 (30 games, finished 1st)

3. 1899/1900 - 2.12 (34 games, finished 1st)

4. 1893/94 - 2.10 (30 games, finished 1st)

5. 1980/81 - 2.05 (42 games, finished 1st)

=6. 1930/31 - 2.00 (42 games, finished 2nd)

=6. 1909/10 - 2.00 (38 games, finished 1st)

Currently going at 2.19ppg, which if sustained would be the 2nd best top flight return in our history.

1 hour ago, HeyAnty said:

Ken has a point in his article. Gerrard was so bad he took a talented squad and tried to get them relegated by his incompetence. Also as much as we will always love Deano it's kind of telling he's not a Premier League manager anymore and probably won't be again. 

So Emery being a top coach is added to the fact nobody had made the team a sum of their parts since Jack got injured in Feb 2021 really. 

You might say it is not that surprising that the squad is performing better now that they are led by a real coach who will manage his 1,000th game later this season, rather than a big-name ex-player who went into management because it was the only way to stay in the game.

But you will search in vain for past examples of coaches who have made an impact like Emery’s at Villa. He has won 31 of his first 50 matches there. Guardiola won 29 of his first 50 at Manchester City, and he was taking over at a club that had been champions in two of the previous four seasons. Villa had won just 12 of the 50 matches preceding Emery’s arrival in November 2022.

Edited by CVByrne
  • Like 3
  • Shocked 1

"In the refurbished gym at Aston Villa’s training ground, players are regularly put through their paces, spend time building up their strength and flexibility and develop the team bond that is such a key part of their incredible current form.

Another regular sight in the gym has been head coach Unai Emery putting in the miles on the treadmill. But unlike most people, who listen to music or a podcast while working out, the man behind one of the biggest turnarounds in recent Premier League history uses the time to watch recordings of their upcoming opponents’ games.

He’s looking for patterns, for holes, for weaknesses for Villa to exploit.

Emery then relays his findings and key messages to the players in lengthy video analysis sessions, which have been known to run up to an hour and fifteen minutes."

https://theathletic.com/5124395/2023/12/11/unai-emery-aston-villa-4/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

https://theathletic.com/5124395/2023/12/11/unai-emery-aston-villa-4/

To be honest Unai’s dedication to his job to an almost obsessive level is possibly what all top managers do and it’s what they need to do to make them top managers . I’m sure Unai knows this and the same can be said for players too, which I’m sure is drilled into them every day at BMH  we’re in a great place on and off the pitch now. UTV!!!!!!

13 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Last word in my daily Squareword puzzle was EMERY 😂

All the ducks are lining up!!!To the point that that it’s becoming written in the stars. Next signing, new cabinet maker! UTV!!!!!!

Edited by DaveAV1

An hour 15 minutes listening to the Don go through analysis and that was supposed to laborious for some players!?

Christ having to sit through watching some of the shit I've had to with the ex it sounds like bliss.

Edited by stewiek2
  • Like 2

On 10/12/2023 at 10:08, IrishVilla10 said:

A pet hate of mine in football in general is the lack of creativity in set pieces.

The success rate of shooting from free kicks is so so SO low. I'm always dying to see clubs come up with different set pieces to try and improve success. 
Douglas Luiz probably isn't going to score from a 35 yard free kick. So try something different.

So it please me greatly to hear that not only are VIlla trying to do things differently in this area, but it sounds like they're at the absolute cutting edge of the data and technology behind it. Very encouraging

• Like 1

On 12/12/2023 at 10:57, stewiek2 said:

An hour 15 minutes listening to the Don go through analysis and that was supposed to laborious for some players!?

Christ having to sit through watching some of the shit I've had to with the ex it sounds like bliss.

I’ve been thinking the same. Do players really have such short attention spans?
I regularly attend 1-2 hour Teams meetings 3 or 4 times a day, and let me confirm that these are really boring. I’d love to attend a 90 min tactical lecture from the Don. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

I’ve been thinking the same. Do players really have such short attention spans?
I regularly attend 1-2 hour Teams meetings 3 or 4 times a day, and let me confirm that these are really boring. I’d love to attend a 90 min tactical lecture from the Don. 

I think this is one of the key things in the Emery revolution. The players all deserve huge credit for all accepting that they can (and will) learn from what Unai has to teach them. You'd maybe expect some not to get it, others not to buy in or hate the analysis etc, but they seem to have universally as a group gone all in. And it happened really quickly. Great teamwork and a sign of some strong leadership and togetherness in the dressing room. 

• Like 4

Â