Unai Emery

PeterSw

What the likes of Carragher are unwilling to consider is that we have at least the 8th best squad in the league, our owners have consistently provided huge financial backing, a tonne of ambition, have modernised the club behind the scenes. Bigger sponsors, an expanded stadium and a growing global fanbase are not far away. When that happens revenue will increase relative to the teams below us.

Emery is doing a brilliant job but even if he were to leave us (and I think you're talking Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Man City, Liverpool as the only ones who could currently tempt him) we are still in a position to challenge for European places in the long term because we have all we need to attract high calibre managers, coaches, players, support staff. If we lose a couple of star players the same is true.

• Like 1

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are people talking about him leaving, he hasn't even been linked with a move away in the media, pretty pointless to talk about it unless a reliable source links him with a move, as far as I'm aware not even any clickbait media have linked him with a move away, that's annoying enough, without our own fans conjouring speculation from thin air, his time with us will be limited, as is the case with every manager at every club, so why waste time talking about him leaving whilst he's here, that's something to worry about when there is some kind of indication that it might happen, now is a time to focus on the positives.

I don't think Emery would actually leave us at this time and probably not for a while yet, and also I doubt that Man Utd would want him, which isn't to speak disrespectfully of his possession of the means and skills to do a good job, I just think they'd want a different kind of manager, either one who's been there and done it, in terms of winning top leagues and Champions Leagues, or an highly rated younger manager seen as having potential to be the next big thing, Emery is kind of inbetween those two things🏆

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Quite surreal getting relegated so soon after winning it 

That’s because we’re special and not boring like the oil mob clubs. No more Mr Nice guy from now on though. Win and keep winning for Unai’s Villa and NSWE’s  Villa dynasty!

• Like 1

It's all very annoying but we all need to remember that we have not engaged in any manager/players/staff outgoing transactions that have not been advantageous to Villa since NSWE rocked up.  I include the Grealish sale here.  Villa are no longer a feeder club for the so called big 6/7/8, whatever it is nowadays.

Not arsed with Carragher's comments. Quite understandable how other fans and pundits would be ignorant to unique structure and accommodations that have been made for Emery. I  mean most fans still seemingly still have no idea how much money our owners have.

The internal pessimistic just hates all the attention and focus just before this crucial run. Its always feels a little too early, like its setting us up for a fall. If we are still there in December then fair enough,, unavoidable, but now we have this little gap to 6th, I feel like this stretch of games into December is massive. Particularly the two winnable ones we have next. I just want us to be under radar until then.

Edited by villanmac
  • Like 1

This is just the next step in the media narrative towards Emery. 

First he was a busted flush who got found out at Arsenal.  However since he keeps proving people wrong the story will naturally change, we just have to live with it.

• Like 1

I know Twitter isn't everything but I wish Villa accounts would stop resharing all this 'Emery could go to United' nonsense, I swear we're just amplifying the signal and generating more talk around it

I don't think there's a chance it happens but still

• Like 1

QNot surprised at all by the Carra article, the United job is arguably the biggest story in football at the moment and Unai is a manager on the up. We were all upset about the lack of attention and this is what media attention really means. 

If I'm objective, the United job is truly huge and the squad not really that broken. They qualified for the champs league only ten games ago, the very thing we all desperately want. The club is a mess but so was ours during the Gerrard era so I don't think this would phase Unai, he's very confident and ambitious. 

On the other hand we've given him all he wants and I think he will value the project he's currently on and the team hes assembling. 

I dont think Unai will stay with us for years, his average at clubs is 2-3. I do feel glad that we've done enough to make this a decision though, years ago the villa manager would be off to united without a second thought. 

It's all rather moot anyway. Utd won't be getting rid of ETH while the Ratcliffe part-purchase is still pending. He wants control of footballing side as part of the agreement so they'll not want to jeopardise that by switching now IMO. (Though never underestimate the Glazer's chance to bollox things up I suppose...)

Anyway - I'm more interested in seeing how Unai brings back Moreno and JJ (hopefully after the international break), while managing the incumbents. Digne's done a pretty good job this season si is not going to want to lose his place and there's already a bit of a fight for starting places further forward. Ideally it pushes everyone to step up even more.

44 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

It wont be long until the board offer emery a new long term contract. Lets be real if offered a 6 year contract tomorrow id say near enough 100% of the fan base would be behind it

A billion quid over 30 years would be my offer, just to be on the safe side.

• Like 1

There's no denying that our whole setup from top to bottom is firing on all cylinders but this man has been the catalyst for real progress. Long may it continue but if it stutters for any reason I hope the fans won't lose sight of where we were back in October 2022.

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

What type of contract is Emery actually on? Is it fixed term, rolling? Are his staff and team all on the same sorts of deal?

From memory it was a 4 1/2 year contract when he signed it...

I don't think the actual length was disclosed but it was described as the longest commitment Villa have made or something along those lines. 

Not sure about his staff!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â